Re: Flirtmeister

  • Brad Boda d'Aylward
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 10, 2000
      PJ Boosinger wrote:

      > "I flirt shamelessly. <G>" Brad
      >
      > And where is AEthelmearc? Or will you flirt long
      > distance as well? <G>
      >
      > Pandora

      AEthelmearc used to be part of the East Kingdom until a couple of years
      ago. We cover the largest part of western NY., the majority of Penn.,
      and all of West (By God) Virginia.

      Guess where the saying 'Pig in the poke' came from along with 'Letting
      the cat out of the bag'? The medieval practice of hanging piglets up at
      the merchants stalls had the piglets hanging in burlap sacks. You would
      pay your money and grab a sack and go. Dishonest merchants would
      actually place cats in the burlap sacks and buying a 'pig and a poke'
      meant that someone was buying blind. Letting the cat out of the
      bag.......well, someone squealed on the merchant.

      Are you a piglet or a cat???

      Brad
    • Lord Kainin Tep├ęsa
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 10, 2000
        What a great pick-up line, can I use it!!????

        Kainin

        >Guess where the saying 'Pig in the poke' came from along with 'Letting
        >the cat out of the bag'? The medieval practice of hanging piglets up at
        >the merchants stalls had the piglets hanging in burlap sacks. You would
        >pay your money and grab a sack and go. Dishonest merchants would
        >actually place cats in the burlap sacks and buying a 'pig and a poke'
        >meant that someone was buying blind. Letting the cat out of the
        >bag.......well, someone squealed on the merchant.
        >
        >Are you a piglet or a cat???
        >
        >Brad
      • Alberic
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 10, 2000
          Greetings:

          Great pickup line, except that as far as I know, "Letting the cat out of
          the bag" is a naval phrase referring to having screwed up in some
          fashion, thus causing the 'bosun to have to go get the cat (O nine
          tails) out of his seabag, and flog your soon to be scarred hide.

          Shipboard dicipline in the age of sail was *not* to be sneezed at.
          American ships in particular were infamous for the savagery with which
          it was administered.

          You know, the more I know about the middle ages (or later), the more I
          like the 20th century. (Or later) The middle ages may be fun to visit,
          but I'd *hate* to live there.

          Cheers-
          Alberic
        • D Humberson
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 11, 2000
            Not to mention the joys of flush toilets, hot showers, and B-50 Dacron!

            Ragnar Ketilsson

            >From: Alberic <alberic@...>
            >To: SCA-Archery@onelist.com
            >Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] Flirtmeister
            >Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 14:57:03 -0800
            >
            >Greetings:
            >
            >Great pickup line, except that as far as I know, "Letting the cat out of
            >the bag" is a naval phrase referring to having screwed up in some
            >fashion, thus causing the 'bosun to have to go get the cat (O nine
            >tails) out of his seabag, and flog your soon to be scarred hide.
            >
            >Shipboard dicipline in the age of sail was *not* to be sneezed at.
            >American ships in particular were infamous for the savagery with which
            >it was administered.
            >
            >You know, the more I know about the middle ages (or later), the more I
            >like the 20th century. (Or later) The middle ages may be fun to visit,
            >but I'd *hate* to live there.
            >
            >Cheers-
            >Alberic

          • Susan Kell
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 11, 2000
              And penicillin...
              and dental care...
              My lord and I do an annual school demo for some 5th graders, and we often
              start by asking "how many of you would like to live in the Middle Ages?".
              Of course, most of the hands go up. They get lowered in waves as we
              describe more and more of what life was like back then!
              -- Ygraine

              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 11, 2000
                Meow

                Pandora