Re: compounds vs. longbows vs. recurves

  • Daniel Hawley
    Message 1 of 35 , Oct 20, 2003
      I would have to say, having shot all styles of bows, my favourite
      is the English Longbow. There is something special about shooting a
      bow that is almost unchanged since pre-history. A weapon that would
      be instantly recognisable to my ancestors, the bowmen that helped
      shape European history.

      An American Flatbow (I know a lot of you across the pond call this
      a "longbow" but to me, and most English (or British) archers a
      Longbow must be made entirely of wood, D sectioned, and no arrow
      shelf) is not quite right, it almost has the feel of a hybrid
      between a true longbow and a modern recurve.

      A recurve bow is too easy for me, unless you are talking about a
      Mogolian or similar, using a thumb-ring, there's a challenge, but I
      don't "connect" with it.

      A compound is just plain wrong. It ruins my rythm, forces me to
      aim, and is too easy. I can't feel the shot, the bow is too
      mechanical.

      A crossbow might just as well be a gun, you point it and pull the
      trigger, again, way too easy.

      Daniel

      http://homepage.ntlworld.com/purbrookbowmen/
    • Talmon Parker
      Message 35 of 35 , Oct 25, 2003
        BYE with language like that we don't need you.

        Talmon

        DER BARON

        >From: "Bob Upson" <wyvern@...>
        >To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: compounds vs. longbows vs. recurves
        >Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 22:07:08 -0400
        >
        >On 21 Oct 2003 at 18:53, Nest verch Tangwistel wrote:
        >
        > > Daniel, don't raise to his bait. It is always the same story. He makes
        > > some seriously jerky statement and then argues with everyone who
        > > complains. This happens about once every 3 months or so.
        >
        >Feel free to go fuck yourself.
        >
        >My patience with this list is about at an end. I'd strongly suggest
        >someone start a new one because this list's days are numbered. I've
        >spent enough time and money on it and generally received nothing but
        >aggravation in return.
        >
        >Macsen

        Surf and talk on the phone at the same time with broadband Internet access.
        Get high-speed for as low as $29.95/month (depending on the local service
        providers in your area). https://broadband.msn.com