Former Newbie...First Day Archery

  • vaberella
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 19, 2003
      Okay guys...

      I'd like to thank two people....Chad Wilson for his answer to my
      question on archery. And a deep thanks and complete appreciation to
      Bloody Bess Read, because without her, I would have no idea on the
      different bows, or where to get started, or even the history of
      archery and their bows.

      Sadly and regretfully on my first day of archery which was yesterday
      I did use a compound bow. On that day I had brought two other people
      with me, my sister and her friend. The friend and I choose compound,
      while my sister was from the beginning, even before going a dedicated
      recurve. We three spent the day with our first choice bows, but
      next week, we're all choosing the opposite bow, just to get a feel.

      Upon using the compound bow, and watchign my sister and how amazing
      she looked with the recurve, I just saw the major differences first,
      and then also I noted how different the approaches are and how
      compeling and really beautiful the recurve is, while the compound is
      rather bulky, unattractive and really the lack of skill required when
      compared to the recurve. So I started to envy. I liked my compound,
      slash that, I really loved it. But I felt moved by the recurve for
      some reason. So next week will be the day when I try out the recruve
      and I make a decision as to which bow will be THE ONE!!!

      But all in all I love and adore Archery and no matter what bow I use
      I will be dedicating a lot of time with this sport. I adore it!
      Like Chad once said, an addiction. And there's nothing like it. A
      fairly expensive sport, but cheaper than others and worth the
      investment.

      So at this point I feel I've moved from complete newbie to a little
      higher up but still below amateur. And I should also say that
      even if I do decide to take the recurve, I'm pretty happy that I know
      how to shoot with a compound, and now I really want to try out a
      crossbow for fun. But that one can weight!!

      And I also wanted to say that I'm so glad to be part of this group
      and to be a regular poster.

      Laters,
      VB
    • Sam Cohen
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 19, 2003
        Just an FYI, you know you can not use Compound bows at SCA events,
        recurves, longbows crossbows etc only.

        Other than that Caedmon (Chad) is right this is an addiction. I started
        out at an event that had loaner gear then the next week another one.
        The next Sunday I went and bought my first bow, that was 7 years ago and
        I have barley put my bow down since. If it were not for archery I would
        not still be in the SCA, archery gave me something to do while my then
        GF fenced or socialized and if it were not for that when we split up I
        would have, more than likely, stopped coming to events.

        I do like re-curve bows a lot, however I am also very fond of my longbow
        and find it just makes me feel more "period". I also love crossbows and
        really wish I still had mine.

        There is so much to explore in archery and I wish you all the best.

        In service
        Forester Demetrious the Undecided

[...]

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • Lord Wolferam
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 19, 2003
          As Lord Demetrious and just about archer including myself has said. Our hobby or even way of life at times is a true addiction. I started in the SCA as a heavy fighter and though I love the feel of my sword smashing into an opponents armour, there is nothing I like more than loosing that perfect shot. So much so, that I have not fought in many many months. Simply to concentrate on my archery. And like most on the list here, I've shot them all. Recurves, longbows, compounds and crossbows. Out of all these, my favorite is recurve. Maybe it's that extra velocity the curved limbs offer or some unseen preference. Anyway, my lady VB welcome once again. Perhaps we will meet on the range one day.

          Wolferam von Gorlicz
          Bowman Middle Kingdom
          Field Marshal Baile na Scolairi

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 20, 2003
            --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Lord Wolferam
            <lord_wolferam@y...> wrote:
            > As Lord Demetrious and just about archer including myself has
            > said. Our hobby or even way of life at times is a true addiction.

            Ah.. there is a honest description of archery. A true adiction. You
            have no idea how true this can be.

            I have dabled in archery on and off for years, but got adicted to
            Traditional archery by some friends at Ren Faires about a year and a
            half ago.

            Since then I bought a long bow (american Flat bow). Then started
            shooting. Then got in to making arrows, and making Long bows. Now I
            find myself making and selling various traditional bows, and arrows,
            and leather accessories (quivers, etc) on the side.

            The bow and arrows that I use, and my quiver, were all made by me. I
            know there is better gear out there, but shooting a bow that I made
            myself, is a wonderful feeling. And I have to tell you, making the
            bows has become almost as adictive as shooting them.

            SCA archery is almost as adictive as drugs. Hey, come and try it
            out.. we'll loan you a bow so you can try it for free... First End
            is free.. after that you will WANT to start paying for your
            stuff.... ;)

            Nad
          • Brea
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 22, 2003
              archery is fun. Anybody who knows me, knows that it usually takes a crowbar to get me to not at least watch the archers. Once you really start getting into it, it is hard to quit. I really reccomend it.

              roguenad2000 <nad@...> wrote:--- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Lord Wolferam
              wrote:
              > As Lord Demetrious and just about archer including myself has
              > said. Our hobby or even way of life at times is a true addiction.

              Ah.. there is a honest description of archery. A true adiction. You
              have no idea how true this can be.

              I have dabled in archery on and off for years, but got adicted to
              Traditional archery by some friends at Ren Faires about a year and a
              half ago.

              Since then I bought a long bow (american Flat bow). Then started
              shooting. Then got in to making arrows, and making Long bows. Now I
              find myself making and selling various traditional bows, and arrows,
              and leather accessories (quivers, etc) on the side.

              The bow and arrows that I use, and my quiver, were all made by me. I
              know there is better gear out there, but shooting a bow that I made
              myself, is a wonderful feeling. And I have to tell you, making the
              bows has become almost as adictive as shooting them.

              SCA archery is almost as adictive as drugs. Hey, come and try it
              out.. we'll loan you a bow so you can try it for free... First End
              is free.. after that you will WANT to start paying for your
              stuff.... ;)

              Nad

              I think I have both Deajavu and Amnesia, I think I forget this before!