Ah-koh all

  • Joseph
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 8, 2003
      hello all archers my scadian name is Joseph McCoy reletivley new to
      the sca and could use knowledge of Scotch Highland archey as that is
      my persona and family heritage of yore.
      thanks to anyone whomsoever can help
      also if any are in the raven's cove area, see you at fighters practice
    • iaenmor
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 8, 2003
        Welcome to the nuthouse. First off word usage, Scotch is a drink, Scots is
        person/s from Scotland. As far as the highland archers not much has been
        written about it. The Scots seemed to be less inclined toward archery in
        war than the rest of the British Isles. When they were used, if I remember
        right, it would have been with a classic European longbow. Note this does
        differ from the English/Welsh longbow. I am sure others more learned will
        chip in and come up with more information for you. Again welcome to the
        nuthouse.
        Iaen Mor
        Gate's Edge
        Ansteorra
        Coastal Region Archery Marshal
        iaenmor@...
        > hello all archers my scadian name is Joseph McCoy reletivley new to
        > the sca and could use knowledge of Scotch Highland archey as that is
        > my persona and family heritage of yore.
        > thanks to anyone whomsoever can help
        > also if any are in the raven's cove area, see you at fighters practice

      • Rob A
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 9, 2003
          Hi, and welcome

          from my research, i have found that the archers in Scotland were more around
          the Jedburgh and Borders area, "lowland" (although trekking across the
          borders hills is anything but lowland).
          Check out Holyrood Palace (Queen Mums old palace) or Edinburgh Castle
          Armory. I do believe that there were notes about 14th century longbows being
          used.

          Robert