Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Crossbow Target Shooting illustration

  • Nest verch Tangwistel
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 6, 2003
      Or maybe the slots were for those two individuals to peak through to make
      sure no one is still shooting before going out to retrieve bolts.

      Nest

      > > > There is two individuals behind the brick safety walls

      > Perhaps the slits are for judges, or populace to watch through...I
      > would guess they would watch from the same side the shooters
      > were on (not the target side...that could lead to some trouble...)

      http://shopping.yahoo.com
    • Siegfried Sebastian Faust
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 6, 2003
        Comments upon Comments

        > Anyway, I have just taken a real close look at the picture you uploaded
        > and if you take a close look you will see part of one giant "Dart Board"
        > target behind the crossbowman on the line (left page) and another partial
        > giant " Dart Board" target on the right page that they are shooting at so
        > their is two Dart Board Targets.

        Somewhat common practice from what I understand, to set up a range that is
        'double-ended', so that you can shoot at one end, walk to retrieve, then
        shoot backwards, walk to retrieve/etc ... more shooting, less walking that way.

        > There is two individuals behind the brick safety walls on the right
        > page and they are most likely servants and they look to be younger in age
        > then everyone else and they are either acting as scorers for the shoot or
        > are runners returning the bolts between rounds. (I'm assuming they are
        > servants because these two young men are in the same livery as several
        > other individuals in this picture).

        Given that it IS a double-ended range, I would assume scorers, and/or just
        'watching'. No need for retrievers.

        > All the crossbows shown have wooden prods and they are all probably
        > composite prods in manufacture. If you will look closely at all the
        > prods shown you will see that they have several areas that are heavily
        > wrapped along the prods length. (A good sign that these prods are
        > composites or backed bows).

        Definately composites by the date of the image, and of the 'massive
        thickness' of the prods.

        > Also a close look at the side of the xbow being shot by the individual
        > on the line wearing same livery shows what appears to be a "covering
        > plate" in the area that a rolling nut would be located on the stock (look
        > right above his left hand). And I also should make mention that the bolt
        > being shot has what appears to be three fletchings not two.

        Wow, you have good eyes, I can't see that at all. Although, 3 fletch bolts
        (two sideways, one vertical) are quite period and documented.

        > Also these xbows being shown are most likely 150 lbs. or more in pull
        > as the one individual is using a wench to draw the crossbow string. (If
        > the xbow was only 75 lbs. or so he would not be needing the winch.)

        Actually, I would wager much more than 150lbs. 150lbs, to even 200lbs, you
        CAN pull yourself, especially if it's your job. The purpose for the
        composite bows and windlasses were to get 300+ pound crossbows, which,
        these probably are.

        THL Siegfried Sebastian Faust Baronial Web Minister & Archery Marshal