Re: Siberian arrows

  • Marko Peussa
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 25, 2003
      They were glued and tied on, with 1-2 cm wrapping in the front and
      back of the fletch. The glue was fish glue. The wrappings were made
      of either hemp, or 'nokkonen' stingy plant fibres, we are not sure
      which. There was no spiral wrapping along the feather, as opposed to
      some of the old english arrows.

      Regards,

      Klaus

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Duncan Wallensis de Selkirk"
      <selkirk@m...> wrote:
      > Am I right that the fletches are just glued and not tied on?
      >
      > Duncan
      >
      > > >and Fletching?
      > >
      > > Looooong fletches, up to 25 cm long (10 inches). Looked like some
      > > water bird. The white stuff from the quill was removed before
      > gluing.
      > > Three fletches, one of which is aligned to the nock groove, just
      > like
      > > in Japanese arrows. This makes me wonder if they used the
      Mongolian