Bolts?

  • Walter Davis
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 24, 2003
      Greetings to all:

      Has anyone tried mounting fletchings on bolts helical? If so what
      were the results? It seems that all I have seen for period crossbows
      are mounted straight.

      Always at your service,
      Ld Oudoceus
    • Allan B Zdarsky
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 24, 2003
        On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 15:13:27 -0000 "Walter Davis" <wdjr@...>
        writes:
        > Greetings to all:
        >
        > Has anyone tried mounting fletchings on bolts helical? If so what
        > were the results? It seems that all I have seen for period
        > crossbows
        > are mounted straight.
        >
        > Always at your service,
        > Ld Oudoceus
        I have tried various angles of 2 fletch helical on my period crossbow
        and, while I noticed virtually no difference in their flight
        characteristics at SCA ranges, I found them to be more a bit more likely
        to helicopter since they don't lay as flat. With target points, the
        natural curve of the feathers gives them enough spin to stabilize them
        and straights are easier to mount at 180*.
        Shoot Straight
        Archos Aleksei Zateev, OGGS
        An Tir

      • Carolus Eulenhorst
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 24, 2003
          I use helical fletchings on my bolts and like their flight. It is
          consistent and stable. I use 2.75" parabolic fletchings and have rather
          short bolts, 13.5" overall. My crossbow uses a quarrel rest instead of a
          groove so this may be a factor.

          In service to the dream
          Carolus von Eulenhorst
          eulenhorst@...

          writes:
          > Greetings to all:
          >
          > Has anyone tried mounting fletchings on bolts helical? If so what
          > were the results? It seems that all I have seen for period
          > crossbows
          > are mounted straight.
          >
          > Always at your service,
          > Ld Oudoceus

          Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
        • Siegfried Sebastian Faust
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 24, 2003
            >Has anyone tried mounting fletchings on bolts helical? If so what
            >were the results? It seems that all I have seen for period crossbows
            >are mounted straight.

            Depends on your definition of 'helical'. IE, some people consider any
            angle to a straight fletch to be helical, others, don't call it helical
            unless you use a helical jig.

            Anyway, I personally mount my 'straight' fletches, at a fairly serious
            angle. (5?6?7?8 degrees? I dunno, just 'serious')

            I do this, because I have found that it really helps stabilize the
            bolts. If you have a crossbow that is kicking the bolt just a 'little bit
            odd', which, many a crossbow is known to do, especially after a few seasons
            of shooting on it, having a strong angle to the fletches really gives a
            good spin to the bolt when it leaves the bow, and causes it to stabilize
            VERY quickly.

            In general, I put just about as MUCH angle on the fletches as I can, until
            when the bolt is laying in the channel, the front of the left fletch just
            touches the shelf, and the back of the right fletch just touches the shelf.

            This also gives another benefit. Your bolt is ALWAYS positioned just
            EXACTLY the same way every time you put it on the crossbow, more consistancy.

            Siegfried

            THL Siegfried Sebastian Faust Baronial Web Minister & Archery Marshal
          • James W. Pratt, Jr.
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 24, 2003
              Helical fletching do not work in one fletch down crossbows because they will
              not fit into the groove.

              James Cunningham
              > Greetings to all:
              >
              > Has anyone tried mounting fletchings on bolts helical? If so what
              > were the results? It seems that all I have seen for period crossbows
              > are mounted straight.
              >
              > Always at your service,
              > Ld Oudoceus

            • James W. Pratt, Jr.
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 24, 2003
                > I do this, because I have found that it really helps stabilize the
                > bolts. If you have a crossbow that is kicking the bolt just a 'little bit
                > odd', which, many a crossbow is known to do, especially after a few
                seasons
                > of shooting on it, having a strong angle to the fletches really gives a
                > good spin to the bolt when it leaves the bow, and causes it to stabilize
                > VERY quickly.

                If the bolts are being kicked a 'little bit odd' and especially after a few
                seasons... it is time to tune the crossbow. A crossbow should throw an
                unfletched tipped bolt without much need for stabiliztion to 20 yards.

                James Cunningham
              • Siegfried Sebastian Faust
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 25, 2003
                  >If the bolts are being kicked a 'little bit odd' and especially after a few
                  >seasons... it is time to tune the crossbow. A crossbow should throw an
                  >unfletched tipped bolt without much need for stabiliztion to 20 yards.

                  Ahhh, yes James, you are right.

                  Except, some of us are lazy bastards :)

                  And 'officially', Gladius Steel prods are recommended to be replaced after
                  2 seasons of heavy shooting (an aluminum prod, only after 1 season).

                  However, some of us (one in particular who just had his crossbow prod break
                  while warming up for the Champions shoot at Pennsic *grin*) ... tend to use
                  the prods for MUCH longer than that (ummm 4-5 years or so?)

                  After those couple of seasons, in my experience, the prod starts to get
                  'worn' a bit, and will pull slightly off, slightly lower poundage,
                  etc. The proper fix, is to put a new prod on it.

                  The workaround, is to strongly angle fletch your bolts, and don't worry
                  about it. Slight imperfections in the crossbow/prod that way, are fixed by
                  the ammo.

                  With my 4-5 year old prod and strong angle fletch'd bolts I was shooting
                  106 RR scores - with only 6 off on the speed round. But an unfletched bolt
                  would have had definite flight issues.

                  I guess the main point is that there is no reason, on a 2 fletch bolt, to
                  not angle the fletches ... and in fact, it can hide a multitude of sins of
                  the crossbow.

                  No drawbacks here, so you might as well :)

                  Siegfried

                  THL Siegfried Sebastian Faust Baronial Web Minister & Archery Marshal
                • Chad Wilson
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 3, 2003
                    I straight fletch my bolts, because a helical fletch won't fit into
                    my groove.

                    As for the prod wearing down, I have been using the same prod for 5
                    years now and the bow just seems to be shooting better than in the
                    beginning.

                    -Caedmon