Safety training - was Stupid things

  • Keith Hood
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 29, 1999
      > >Not to open up an old can of worms, but...
      > >
      > >This is why some SCA groups require authorization for archery.

      -- much snippage here --

      >Strangely despite being on the receiving end, I have to disagree with the
      >above.
      >
      >The incident which I described occurred a good 20 to 30 minutes after the
      >line had been closed in an area where everyone who attended the mixed
      >training (we have heavy, rapier and archery at the same venue at the same
      >time but separate enough to be safe) kept their gear - nearly in the
      >parking lot.
      >
      >Secondly the archer in question was felt to be safe on the line - she
      >followed the safety rules, obeyed holds once she was familiar with our
      >usage of the word, etc. It just seemed that there was a definite
      >demarkation in this person's mind that the archery rules were only for the
      >shooting line. Not off the range.

      I've seen this kind of thing several times when I've worked with other
      people in firearms training, and in modified forms in other types of
      training programs I've been involved in. Often, people mentally associate
      the training with the location. This is especially true when training with
      any kind of tools (including weapons) because they don't think about
      actually using the tool in a different location, so they associate the
      safety rules with the place where they mean to actually do something.

      (Please pardon the coming pontification.) It is highly advisable in any
      weapons safety program, to impress the learner that safety rules are
      universal. Repeatedly call their attention to safety itself, and tell them
      in so many words that they should pay attention to those rules whenever they
      have the weapon in their hands, wherever that may be. Specifically state
      that the safety rules should be followed at all times and at all places.
      And reinforce that statement - tell the learners more than once to follow
      the rules wherever they are. It can make a real difference.

      Tomonaga

      --
      A long bow and a strong bow,
      And let the sky grow dark.

      -- Stolen from "The Song of the Bosonian Archers" --
      By Robert E. Howard, who should be
      the patron saint of Ansteorra