Intro

  • Ron
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 10, 2003
      Hi My name is Ron, I live in Southern Oregon, I'm looking for a good reference site for the making of a Hun bow, I have looked for days and found nothing of value, any help here would be great.
      Thanks.
      Ron.

    • Chad Walstrom
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 10, 2003
        On Wed, Sep 10, 2003 at 06:01:48PM -0700, Ron wrote:
        > Hi My name is Ron, I live in Southern Oregon, I'm looking for a good
        > reference site for the making of a Hun bow, I have looked for days and
        > found nothing of value, any help here would be great. Thanks. Ron.

        I'm really not trying to push this series of books, but they're just
        chalk full of information. Check out Chapter 5, "Composite Bows" by Dr.
        Bert Grayson in "The Traditional Bowyer's Bible", Volume II (ISBN
        1-58574-086-1). He covers the Asiatic bows in a general, informative
        way, touching on some of the differences between them.

        Jeff Schmidt goes into detail about constructing a Korean composite bow
        in Chapter 4 of Volume III (ISBN 1-58574-087-X). The techniques
        employed for creating the Korean bows are very similar to the Chinese,
        Mongolean, and Hun bows, and you could take cues from his notation on
        the differences to extrapolate exactly what to do to replicate the bow
        of your choice.

        Google.com is a great resource for scouring the net. The first hit when
        given the keywords "Mongolian Composite Bow Construction" yielded a page
        titled "Asian/Turkish Bow Construction FAQ".

        With respect to the Hungarian and Avar bows specifically, I found this
        discussion forum link:

        http://www.atarn.org/letters/khotan_bow/khotan_discuss.htm

        If you look at it's parent directory, you'll find many images of the
        Khotan bow. (This site is the Asian Traditional Archery page
        http://www.atarn.org/.) This site looks quite useful. Check out this
        link: http://www.atarn.org/magyar/magyar_link.htm.

        (Another keyword to look for in your search is "Magyar".) Horsebows.com
        also has a lot of useful information...

        Anyway, you get the idea. Google.com is the place to start for good
        web-research.

        --
        Chad Walstrom <chewie@...> http://www.wookimus.net/
      • Kathy Walker
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 14, 2008
          I joined this group because my son is interested in archery. He just
          got his first crossbow and will be hopefully joining the An Tir archery
          team at the An Tir/West War this year. We belong to the shire of
          Tymberhavene where the war will be held.
          Ketilrior
        • richard johnson
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 3, 2010
            Just a brief into as I've been flooding the e-group recently

            I know a lot!
            Mostly becaue i've been around for so long<g>
            Partly because I seek knowledge from anyone who knows soemthing about that subject.
            I was a USAF Civil Engineer for 26+ years and built air bases from a dirt runway in places most americans cannot find on a map.
            I have an Award of Arms and was Master of Sciences for the Barony.. oh so many years ago...

            So I have an interest in recreating or building old stuff that will do the job easily.

            I like to start campfires with flint-and-steel (I bought the steel striker but brought flint home from England)
            I like to travel via compass and use GPS only as a back-up.
            I hate modern Compound Bows but love Traditional Self-Bows and composite bows.
            And, to be honest, I've made some really bad bows in my life.  Things equal to what James Kirk made to kill a klingnon on the old Classic Star Trek series.

            BUT, and I cannot emphasise this enough.

            I do not know everything!
            Thus, i will happly listed to advice and experiences form you al lto improve my own knowledge.

            so please feel free to correct me when i am wrong and help me learn mre and do better!

            glad to be here!

            now back to the bow!

            --
            Rick Johnson
            http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 3, 2010
              ur doing it wrong......  feel better ?   lol

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 3, 2010
                WRONG?  is that whey she keeps hitting me with a flatiron?

                I thought toast went in round side down so it wouldn;t pop out so far. aerodynamics!