Re: Cheap Starter Bow

  • jameswolfden
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 10, 2003
      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Chad Walstrom <chewie@w...> wrote:
      > Excellent! Great suggestion! I've just recenly finished reading
      the
      > Chapter 2 of the "Traditional Boyer's Bible, Volume Two" by Tim
      Baker
      > in which he describes how to build "board bows". Board bows are
      bows
      > made from kiln-dried lumber that you can obtain at your local lumber
      > yard. Essentially, you can build a nice longbow from board wood as
      long
      > as you carefully select which board you use.

      Board bows are great idea. They will take you more time then a panda
      bow but you will be learning more of the skills a medieval bowyer
      would be using. And they look more period

      I have built a couple of board bows. Mostly red oak flat bows but I
      recently finished an ash longbow that I am shooting. My lady is
      shooting one of the red oak flat bows.

      James Wolfden
    • James W. Pratt, Jr.
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 10, 2003
        In one of the Bowyers Bibles they show bows made of bundels of old arrows
        and yard sticks.

        James Cunningham