Re: [SCA-Archery] Gasket Laquer ingredients

  • Carolus Eulenhorst
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 4, 2003
      Nitrocellulose
      is not typically part of modern gunpowder. It is, however, also known
      as guncotton and is extremely explosive. I don't know of it detecting as
      an explosive however as the nitrates are pretty well bound chemically in
      lacquer.

      In service to the dream
      Carolus von Eulenhorst
      eulenhorst@...

      On Thu, 04 Sep 2003 19:34:23 -0000 "logantheboweyder" <bln2355@...>
      writes:
      > To provide a definitive answer:
      >
      > Ingredients on Clear Gasket Laquer from Waterloo Archery:
      > Hazardous INgredients: Acetone, N-Hexane, Isopropyl Alcohol, Ethyl
      > Alcohol, Butyl Acetate, Phosphoric Acid
      > Non-Hazardous Ingredients: Nitrocellulose
      >
      > From Gray Ghost Super-Flex-40:
      >
      > Ingredients include: Toluene, Acetone, Ethyl Acetate, IPA Alcohol,
      > Petroleum Distillates, and Alpha-Flex TM (US Federal Trademark)
      > Special High-Impact Archery Formula Cellulose Nitrate Resin.
      >
      > Waterlo Achrtery White Gasket Laquer: Hazardous Ingredients:
      > Acetone,
      > Isopropyl Alcohol, N-Hexane, Ethyl Alcohol, Xylenes, Ethyl Be
      > (unreadable), Isobutyl Alcohol
      > Non-Hazardous Ingredients: Nitrocellulose, Titanium Dioxide
      >
      > I paid between 18 and 25 for all three cans. I can pull it out
      > through the gasket, and immediately touch it, and it is dry to the
      > touch. I recommend letting it dry 30 more seconds so that it
      > doesn't
      > peel off when going through the gasket a 2nd time.
      >
      > The white stuff is really white, but for other colors, I recommend
      > dying the shafts to preference, then dipping. I understand that
      > analine (sp?) dies work well. See Stickbow.com for details.
      >
      > Logan the Boweyder
      >
      > p.s. Nitrocellulose - the main ingredient in modern gunpowders???
      > There are flamable, inhalation, and swallowing warnings, but no
      > explosive warnings on the containers. I wonder if my arrows would
      > set off explosive detectors, set to detect modern gunpowders.
      >
      > p.p.s. If incompatable means not compatable, what does inflamable
      > mean?

      Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
    • Dvalin
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 4, 2003
        Greetings,
        Gasket laquer is very flammable even after it is DRY. If you use a feather
        burner, make
        sure to keep the ribbon at least 1/8" away from the shaft or you may make
        your beautiful
        new arrow into a torch.

        Dvalin

        ---
      • badger5149@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 4, 2003
          In a message dated 9/4/2003 1:39:17 PM Pacific Standard Time,
          greytaylor@... writes:

          > A few years ago I wrote to this list about a new arrow finish I'd gotten
          > from
          > my supplier and was pretty roundly slammed for using something other than
          > Bohning finishes.
          >
          > Guy

          I wonder if anyone here has ever tried using superglue as a finishing
          product, especially on the backs of bows, I have seen some pool cues my brother has
          finished with it and it produces a deep hard finish. Badger