Re: [SCA-Archery] Gasket Laquer ingredients

  • greytaylor@att.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 4, 2003
      Analine dyes work great (water based analine has he best color fastness for
      UV exposure) as does Rit dye mixed with denatured alcohol. For the Rit dyes
      either liquid or powder works well. People also use Fiebling's leather dyes,
      shoe polish, water based wood dyes, oil based wood dyes, sunburst wood dyes,
      and cake icing gel dyes. They all have their different attributes and
      adherants.

      I find it somewhat amusing that so many people are now using gasket lacquer.
      A few years ago I wrote to this list about a new arrow finish I'd gotten from
      my supplier and was pretty roundly slammed for using something other than
      Bohning finishes.

      Guy

      > The white stuff is really white, but for other colors, I recommend
      > dying the shafts to preference, then dipping. I understand that
      > analine (sp?) dies work well. See Stickbow.com for details.
      >
      > Logan the Boweyder
      >
      > p.s. Nitrocellulose - the main ingredient in modern gunpowders???
      > There are flamable, inhalation, and swallowing warnings, but no
      > explosive warnings on the containers. I wonder if my arrows would
      > set off explosive detectors, set to detect modern gunpowders.

    • Carolus Eulenhorst
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 4, 2003
        Nitrocellulose
        is not typically part of modern gunpowder. It is, however, also known
        as guncotton and is extremely explosive. I don't know of it detecting as
        an explosive however as the nitrates are pretty well bound chemically in
        lacquer.

        In service to the dream
        Carolus von Eulenhorst
        eulenhorst@...

        On Thu, 04 Sep 2003 19:34:23 -0000 "logantheboweyder" <bln2355@...>
        writes:
        > To provide a definitive answer:
        >
        > Ingredients on Clear Gasket Laquer from Waterloo Archery:
        > Hazardous INgredients: Acetone, N-Hexane, Isopropyl Alcohol, Ethyl
        > Alcohol, Butyl Acetate, Phosphoric Acid
        > Non-Hazardous Ingredients: Nitrocellulose
        >
        > From Gray Ghost Super-Flex-40:
        >
        > Ingredients include: Toluene, Acetone, Ethyl Acetate, IPA Alcohol,
        > Petroleum Distillates, and Alpha-Flex TM (US Federal Trademark)
        > Special High-Impact Archery Formula Cellulose Nitrate Resin.
        >
        > Waterlo Achrtery White Gasket Laquer: Hazardous Ingredients:
        > Acetone,
        > Isopropyl Alcohol, N-Hexane, Ethyl Alcohol, Xylenes, Ethyl Be
        > (unreadable), Isobutyl Alcohol
        > Non-Hazardous Ingredients: Nitrocellulose, Titanium Dioxide
        >
        > I paid between 18 and 25 for all three cans. I can pull it out
        > through the gasket, and immediately touch it, and it is dry to the
        > touch. I recommend letting it dry 30 more seconds so that it
        > doesn't
        > peel off when going through the gasket a 2nd time.
        >
        > The white stuff is really white, but for other colors, I recommend
        > dying the shafts to preference, then dipping. I understand that
        > analine (sp?) dies work well. See Stickbow.com for details.
        >
        > Logan the Boweyder
        >
        > p.s. Nitrocellulose - the main ingredient in modern gunpowders???
        > There are flamable, inhalation, and swallowing warnings, but no
        > explosive warnings on the containers. I wonder if my arrows would
        > set off explosive detectors, set to detect modern gunpowders.
        >
        > p.p.s. If incompatable means not compatable, what does inflamable
        > mean?

        Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
      • Dvalin
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 4, 2003
          Greetings,
          Gasket laquer is very flammable even after it is DRY. If you use a feather
          burner, make
          sure to keep the ribbon at least 1/8" away from the shaft or you may make
          your beautiful
          new arrow into a torch.

          Dvalin

          ---
        • badger5149@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 4, 2003
            In a message dated 9/4/2003 1:39:17 PM Pacific Standard Time,
            greytaylor@... writes:

            > A few years ago I wrote to this list about a new arrow finish I'd gotten
            > from
            > my supplier and was pretty roundly slammed for using something other than
            > Bohning finishes.
            >
            > Guy

            I wonder if anyone here has ever tried using superglue as a finishing
            product, especially on the backs of bows, I have seen some pool cues my brother has
            finished with it and it produces a deep hard finish. Badger