Samurai question (cross posted to JML)

  • Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 4, 2003
      Konnichi wa tomodachi,
      I was wondering if any of you fine folk have reference to the number
      of arrows that an armor clad samurai might have carried in his ebira
      as a war load. I have been perusing prints, and other sources, and
      have come up with numbers ranging from 6 - 30...I know there was a
      minor vocation of arrow bearers that carried baskets with 100 - 200
      shafts that was used to reload the line soldiers. I suspect that the
      number varies per daimyo, and per period, but have no actual numbers
      proscribed. Are there any refs in Gun Yo Ki, for example...Joe Samurai
      of naninani koku must provide x horses, y bows and z arrows?
      Were there proscriptions for the Kuge serving as courtly guards, for
      their kit and amunition requirements?

      (As a former EOD/Ammunition Tech in Uncle Sam's Misguided Children,
      this is a question of interest to me...(Semper Fi))

      Date

      Date Saburou Yukiie
      Yama Kaminari Ryu
      Shi wa hei to de aru - all are equal in the grave
      http://www.kabutographics.com
      kabuto@...
    • greytaylor@att.net
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 4, 2003
        Analine dyes work great (water based analine has he best color fastness for
        UV exposure) as does Rit dye mixed with denatured alcohol. For the Rit dyes
        either liquid or powder works well. People also use Fiebling's leather dyes,
        shoe polish, water based wood dyes, oil based wood dyes, sunburst wood dyes,
        and cake icing gel dyes. They all have their different attributes and
        adherants.

        I find it somewhat amusing that so many people are now using gasket lacquer.
        A few years ago I wrote to this list about a new arrow finish I'd gotten from
        my supplier and was pretty roundly slammed for using something other than
        Bohning finishes.

        Guy

        > The white stuff is really white, but for other colors, I recommend
        > dying the shafts to preference, then dipping. I understand that
        > analine (sp?) dies work well. See Stickbow.com for details.
        >
        > Logan the Boweyder
        >
        > p.s. Nitrocellulose - the main ingredient in modern gunpowders???
        > There are flamable, inhalation, and swallowing warnings, but no
        > explosive warnings on the containers. I wonder if my arrows would
        > set off explosive detectors, set to detect modern gunpowders.

      • Carolus Eulenhorst
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 4, 2003
          Nitrocellulose
          is not typically part of modern gunpowder. It is, however, also known
          as guncotton and is extremely explosive. I don't know of it detecting as
          an explosive however as the nitrates are pretty well bound chemically in
          lacquer.

          In service to the dream
          Carolus von Eulenhorst
          eulenhorst@...

          On Thu, 04 Sep 2003 19:34:23 -0000 "logantheboweyder" <bln2355@...>
          writes:
          > To provide a definitive answer:
          >
          > Ingredients on Clear Gasket Laquer from Waterloo Archery:
          > Hazardous INgredients: Acetone, N-Hexane, Isopropyl Alcohol, Ethyl
          > Alcohol, Butyl Acetate, Phosphoric Acid
          > Non-Hazardous Ingredients: Nitrocellulose
          >
          > From Gray Ghost Super-Flex-40:
          >
          > Ingredients include: Toluene, Acetone, Ethyl Acetate, IPA Alcohol,
          > Petroleum Distillates, and Alpha-Flex TM (US Federal Trademark)
          > Special High-Impact Archery Formula Cellulose Nitrate Resin.
          >
          > Waterlo Achrtery White Gasket Laquer: Hazardous Ingredients:
          > Acetone,
          > Isopropyl Alcohol, N-Hexane, Ethyl Alcohol, Xylenes, Ethyl Be
          > (unreadable), Isobutyl Alcohol
          > Non-Hazardous Ingredients: Nitrocellulose, Titanium Dioxide
          >
          > I paid between 18 and 25 for all three cans. I can pull it out
          > through the gasket, and immediately touch it, and it is dry to the
          > touch. I recommend letting it dry 30 more seconds so that it
          > doesn't
          > peel off when going through the gasket a 2nd time.
          >
          > The white stuff is really white, but for other colors, I recommend
          > dying the shafts to preference, then dipping. I understand that
          > analine (sp?) dies work well. See Stickbow.com for details.
          >
          > Logan the Boweyder
          >
          > p.s. Nitrocellulose - the main ingredient in modern gunpowders???
          > There are flamable, inhalation, and swallowing warnings, but no
          > explosive warnings on the containers. I wonder if my arrows would
          > set off explosive detectors, set to detect modern gunpowders.
          >
          > p.p.s. If incompatable means not compatable, what does inflamable
          > mean?

          Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
        • Dvalin
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 4, 2003
            Greetings,
            Gasket laquer is very flammable even after it is DRY. If you use a feather
            burner, make
            sure to keep the ribbon at least 1/8" away from the shaft or you may make
            your beautiful
            new arrow into a torch.

            Dvalin

            ---
          • badger5149@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 4, 2003
              In a message dated 9/4/2003 1:39:17 PM Pacific Standard Time,
              greytaylor@... writes:

              > A few years ago I wrote to this list about a new arrow finish I'd gotten
              > from
              > my supplier and was pretty roundly slammed for using something other than
              > Bohning finishes.
              >
              > Guy

              I wonder if anyone here has ever tried using superglue as a finishing
              product, especially on the backs of bows, I have seen some pool cues my brother has
              finished with it and it produces a deep hard finish. Badger