Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: gasket laquer

  • Bob Upson
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 4, 2003
      On 4 Sep 2003 at 8:46, RJ Bachner wrote:

      > I wonder why no one has suggested that you try dipping with satin finish polyurathane, outdoor of
      > course. I have used it for years and it is great. minimal fumes, dries fast and is cheap to buy. the

      FWIW, I use waterbased polyurethane stain for exactly those reasons
      and it's worked very well. I don't dip with it, I just brush it on
      with a cheap foam applicator and hang the shafts to dry using vinyl
      covered duckbill clips.

      YIS,
      Macsen
    • Guy Taylor
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 4, 2003
        That does sound like the going price, but personally I like the $17 qt from
        the guy at Sticks and Feathers Arrowsmithing that I sent you information
        about.

        Guy

      • badger5149@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 4, 2003
          In a message dated 9/4/2003 6:37:19 AM Pacific Standard Time,
          greytaylor@... writes:

          > That does sound like the going price, but personally I like the $17 qt from
          > the guy at Sticks and Feathers Arrowsmithing that I sent you information
          > about.
          >
          > Guy

          I got overwhelmed with info and it went over me, Thanks again. Badger

        • roguenad2000
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 4, 2003
            --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, badger5149@a... wrote:

            > I was talking to a guy at an arrow shop today and he told me
            > he dips, weights 3 seconds dip again 3 seconds and dip again.
            > Was wondering does $25.00 a qt sound like the going price for
            > this stuff. Badger

            What I normaly do is Dip one, and then move on to the next arrow. By
            the time I have dipped all tweleve arrows once, I can just start
            over again at arrow #1 for the next coat.

            I think Valley Traditional Archery charges $21.50 for clear, and
            $23.50 for color "Quick Dry Sealer Coat". So that doesn't seem to
            far out of range.

            Keep in mind though, that you can do a LOT of arrows with one can of
            this stuff..

            Dan
          • David Poulin
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 5, 2003
              I used a poly stain as well and have a board with nails in it plus
              clothespins with holes to match the nails that I use for hanging them after
              dipped. By the time I've done the twelfth I can go back and do the first
              again for the second coat and once done the second I can repeat from #1
              again for the third coat. Seems to work very well for me.

              As a side note, I have a great homemade dipper made from PVC piping (1 1/2
              inch width) that has a cap on one end and what I think is some sort of sink
              adapter on the other that I replaced the plastic bits with a rubber gasket.
              It has a screw-on ring that holds the gasket in place after removing the
              plastic bits that came with it.

              I also discovered (first time I used it) that you will need a second,
              smaller hole in the gasket for air so the poly stain doesn't go shooting out
              of the tube under pressure when you slide the arrow shaft into it!!!

              Antony Martin of Sheffield