Re: [SCA-Archery] Crossbow draw weight

  • Dvalin
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 3, 2003
      Greetings
      This is what I have found so far:
      At Crecy, they were most likley using crossbows with composite prods
      (wood/horn/sinew)
      that were cocked using the stirrup and belt hook method. Modern tests show
      these type of
      crossbow would draw in the 300 to 440 pound range. The ligher ones requiring
      one foot in
      the stirrup and the heavier needing two feet.

      At Agincourt, steel prods were in common use, and though their draw
      weights tended to
      be heavier than the composite bows, they were less effecient. Because of the
      heavier draw
      weights, more complicated methods were developed to cock them. Some of the
      methods
      used were: levers (both wood and steel) the cranequin (steel crank) and the
      windlass (ropes &
      pulleys) I have not found draw weights for these yet, other than to say
      heaver than the composite
      ones of 440. I will keep looking.

      I hope this helps. If you have any more questions, I'll do my best to
      answer them.

      My sources are:
      The Crossbow by Sir Ralph Payne-Gallwey
      ISBN 0-946323-14-3

      Iolo's First Book of Crossbows by David R. Watson
      No ISBN on my copy
      Can be ordered from author at http://www.crossbows.net/

      Lord Dvalin Hrafnsson
      Shire of Crystal Crags, Atremisia

      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 4, 2003
        Thank you, Lord Dvalin, for that information. And for
        having something to back up the information.

        Evian