Re: gasket laquer

  • roguenad2000
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 3, 2003
      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, greywolfe64@a... wrote:
      > 3 Rivers claims that you can do 3 coats of lacquer to
      > a dozen arrows in 20 minutes. I haven't tried this yet.

      Yea, that sounds about right. Give or take a minute or two
      depending how fumble fingered you are. If you are like me, its
      probably 25 to 30 minutes.

      Dan
    • badger5149@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 3, 2003
        In a message dated 9/3/2003 3:15:53 PM Pacific Standard Time,
        nad@... writes:

        > Yea, that sounds about right. Give or take a minute or two
        > depending how fumble fingered you are. If you are like me, its
        > probably 25 to 30 minutes.
        >
        > Dan

        I was talking to a guy at an arrow shop today and he told me he dips, weights
        3 seconds dip again 3 seconds and dip again. Was wondering does $25.00 a qt
        sound like the going price for this stuff. Badger

      • RJ Bachner
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 4, 2003
          On Thu, 4 Sep 2003 01:56:26 EDT, you, with reckless abandon, wrote:

          >I was talking to a guy at an arrow shop today and he told me he dips, weights
          >3 seconds dip again 3 seconds and dip again. Was wondering does $25.00 a qt
          >sound like the going price for this stuff. Badger

          I wonder why no one has suggested that you try dipping with satin finish polyurathane, outdoor of
          course. I have used it for years and it is great. minimal fumes, dries fast and is cheap to buy. the
          gallon can is like 12 bucks and lasts for years. thin it with mineral spirits to whatever
          consistency ya like.

          I use medium viscosity CA glue, the stuff wood modelers use to fletch and 5 minute epoxy for the
          nocks. this stuff is great and mineral spirits are better for you than lacquer thinner which is what
          they use in that gasket laquer.

          As a cabinet maker I tried lots of finishes available to me and the one I found best overall is the
          polyurathane. I use flecto brand, but your milage may vary with other brands.

          Herre Ragi "warm Bear" Wul├×arsson of the shire, Isle du Dragon Dormant.
          (Sometimes known as RJ Bachner from Montreal Canada)

          Northern shores, East Kingdom SCA.
          ragi@...

          Come visit the Archery diy Pages @
          http://www3.sympatico.ca/ragiwarmbear/diy/diy.html

          House of the broken axe.
          www.brokenaxe.ca
        • Bob Upson
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 4, 2003
            On 4 Sep 2003 at 8:46, RJ Bachner wrote:

            > I wonder why no one has suggested that you try dipping with satin finish polyurathane, outdoor of
            > course. I have used it for years and it is great. minimal fumes, dries fast and is cheap to buy. the

            FWIW, I use waterbased polyurethane stain for exactly those reasons
            and it's worked very well. I don't dip with it, I just brush it on
            with a cheap foam applicator and hang the shafts to dry using vinyl
            covered duckbill clips.

            YIS,
            Macsen
          • Guy Taylor
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 4, 2003
              That does sound like the going price, but personally I like the $17 qt from
              the guy at Sticks and Feathers Arrowsmithing that I sent you information
              about.

              Guy

              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 4, 2003
                In a message dated 9/4/2003 6:37:19 AM Pacific Standard Time,
                greytaylor@... writes:

                > That does sound like the going price, but personally I like the $17 qt from
                > the guy at Sticks and Feathers Arrowsmithing that I sent you information
                > about.
                >
                > Guy

                I got overwhelmed with info and it went over me, Thanks again. Badger

              • roguenad2000
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 4, 2003
                  --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, badger5149@a... wrote:

                  > I was talking to a guy at an arrow shop today and he told me
                  > he dips, weights 3 seconds dip again 3 seconds and dip again.
                  > Was wondering does $25.00 a qt sound like the going price for
                  > this stuff. Badger

                  What I normaly do is Dip one, and then move on to the next arrow. By
                  the time I have dipped all tweleve arrows once, I can just start
                  over again at arrow #1 for the next coat.

                  I think Valley Traditional Archery charges $21.50 for clear, and
                  $23.50 for color "Quick Dry Sealer Coat". So that doesn't seem to
                  far out of range.

                  Keep in mind though, that you can do a LOT of arrows with one can of
                  this stuff..

                  Dan
                • David Poulin
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 5, 2003
                    I used a poly stain as well and have a board with nails in it plus
                    clothespins with holes to match the nails that I use for hanging them after
                    dipped. By the time I've done the twelfth I can go back and do the first
                    again for the second coat and once done the second I can repeat from #1
                    again for the third coat. Seems to work very well for me.

                    As a side note, I have a great homemade dipper made from PVC piping (1 1/2
                    inch width) that has a cap on one end and what I think is some sort of sink
                    adapter on the other that I replaced the plastic bits with a rubber gasket.
                    It has a screw-on ring that holds the gasket in place after removing the
                    plastic bits that came with it.

                    I also discovered (first time I used it) that you will need a second,
                    smaller hole in the gasket for air so the poly stain doesn't go shooting out
                    of the tube under pressure when you slide the arrow shaft into it!!!

                    Antony Martin of Sheffield