Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: gasket laquer

  • greywolfe64@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 2, 2003
      Gasket Lacquer is manufactured by 3 Rivers Archery and it will NOT take any
      Bohning glues. They recommend DUCO CEMENT which they sell. I tried super glue
      and it took approximately 30 minutes for that to set and it drew all of the
      moisture out of the lacquer, leaving a white residue. 3 Rivers claims that you
      can do 3 coats of lacquer to a dozen arrows in 20 minutes. I haven't tried
      this yet.

      I can tell you that when I got some DUCO cement I fletched 6 arrows in about
      1 hour.

      I hope this helps.

      Grey

    • Dvalin
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 2, 2003
        Greetings,
        I believe that gasket laquer is a "nitrocellous lacquer". It can be purchased at many
        paint supply stores, under various brand names. It is also known as pencil laquer, as it's
        been used in the production of pencils for many years. However, the types not sold for
        archery tend to be thinner, and have a much stronger oder. Arrows by Kelly :http://home.pmt.org/~kplp/
        carries the original brand made for archery. I don't think it's listed on the website, but give
        him a call, or email. Kelly gives great service and has good prices.

        In my opinion Gasket laquer is not really the best finish to use unless you're in a hurry.
        It is much faster to use and does give a nice finish. However, it is on the expensive side and is not
        entirely waterproof. I like to use spar urethane with a gasket instead. It does take longer, but produces
        a much more durable finish. It is also less expensive and can be purchased at just about any hardware/
        paint supply store.

        Just my two cents worth, I hope it helps

        Dvalin

        ---

      • roguenad2000
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 3, 2003
          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, greywolfe64@a... wrote:
          > 3 Rivers claims that you can do 3 coats of lacquer to
          > a dozen arrows in 20 minutes. I haven't tried this yet.

          Yea, that sounds about right. Give or take a minute or two
          depending how fumble fingered you are. If you are like me, its
          probably 25 to 30 minutes.

          Dan
        • badger5149@aol.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 3, 2003
            In a message dated 9/3/2003 3:15:53 PM Pacific Standard Time,
            nad@... writes:

            > Yea, that sounds about right. Give or take a minute or two
            > depending how fumble fingered you are. If you are like me, its
            > probably 25 to 30 minutes.
            >
            > Dan

            I was talking to a guy at an arrow shop today and he told me he dips, weights
            3 seconds dip again 3 seconds and dip again. Was wondering does $25.00 a qt
            sound like the going price for this stuff. Badger

          • RJ Bachner
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 4, 2003
              On Thu, 4 Sep 2003 01:56:26 EDT, you, with reckless abandon, wrote:

              >I was talking to a guy at an arrow shop today and he told me he dips, weights
              >3 seconds dip again 3 seconds and dip again. Was wondering does $25.00 a qt
              >sound like the going price for this stuff. Badger

              I wonder why no one has suggested that you try dipping with satin finish polyurathane, outdoor of
              course. I have used it for years and it is great. minimal fumes, dries fast and is cheap to buy. the
              gallon can is like 12 bucks and lasts for years. thin it with mineral spirits to whatever
              consistency ya like.

              I use medium viscosity CA glue, the stuff wood modelers use to fletch and 5 minute epoxy for the
              nocks. this stuff is great and mineral spirits are better for you than lacquer thinner which is what
              they use in that gasket laquer.

              As a cabinet maker I tried lots of finishes available to me and the one I found best overall is the
              polyurathane. I use flecto brand, but your milage may vary with other brands.

              Herre Ragi "warm Bear" Wul├×arsson of the shire, Isle du Dragon Dormant.
              (Sometimes known as RJ Bachner from Montreal Canada)

              Northern shores, East Kingdom SCA.
              ragi@...

              Come visit the Archery diy Pages @
              http://www3.sympatico.ca/ragiwarmbear/diy/diy.html

              House of the broken axe.
              www.brokenaxe.ca
            • Bob Upson
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 4, 2003
                On 4 Sep 2003 at 8:46, RJ Bachner wrote:

                > I wonder why no one has suggested that you try dipping with satin finish polyurathane, outdoor of
                > course. I have used it for years and it is great. minimal fumes, dries fast and is cheap to buy. the

                FWIW, I use waterbased polyurethane stain for exactly those reasons
                and it's worked very well. I don't dip with it, I just brush it on
                with a cheap foam applicator and hang the shafts to dry using vinyl
                covered duckbill clips.

                YIS,
                Macsen
              • Guy Taylor
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 4, 2003
                  That does sound like the going price, but personally I like the $17 qt from
                  the guy at Sticks and Feathers Arrowsmithing that I sent you information
                  about.

                  Guy

                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 4, 2003
                    In a message dated 9/4/2003 6:37:19 AM Pacific Standard Time,
                    greytaylor@... writes:

                    > That does sound like the going price, but personally I like the $17 qt from
                    > the guy at Sticks and Feathers Arrowsmithing that I sent you information
                    > about.
                    >
                    > Guy

                    I got overwhelmed with info and it went over me, Thanks again. Badger

                  • roguenad2000
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 4, 2003
                      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, badger5149@a... wrote:

                      > I was talking to a guy at an arrow shop today and he told me
                      > he dips, weights 3 seconds dip again 3 seconds and dip again.
                      > Was wondering does $25.00 a qt sound like the going price for
                      > this stuff. Badger

                      What I normaly do is Dip one, and then move on to the next arrow. By
                      the time I have dipped all tweleve arrows once, I can just start
                      over again at arrow #1 for the next coat.

                      I think Valley Traditional Archery charges $21.50 for clear, and
                      $23.50 for color "Quick Dry Sealer Coat". So that doesn't seem to
                      far out of range.

                      Keep in mind though, that you can do a LOT of arrows with one can of
                      this stuff..

                      Dan
                    • David Poulin
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 5, 2003
                        I used a poly stain as well and have a board with nails in it plus
                        clothespins with holes to match the nails that I use for hanging them after
                        dipped. By the time I've done the twelfth I can go back and do the first
                        again for the second coat and once done the second I can repeat from #1
                        again for the third coat. Seems to work very well for me.

                        As a side note, I have a great homemade dipper made from PVC piping (1 1/2
                        inch width) that has a cap on one end and what I think is some sort of sink
                        adapter on the other that I replaced the plastic bits with a rubber gasket.
                        It has a screw-on ring that holds the gasket in place after removing the
                        plastic bits that came with it.

                        I also discovered (first time I used it) that you will need a second,
                        smaller hole in the gasket for air so the poly stain doesn't go shooting out
                        of the tube under pressure when you slide the arrow shaft into it!!!

                        Antony Martin of Sheffield