Crossbow draw weight

  • Allan B Zdarsky
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 3, 2003
      Greetings,
      Would anyone out there have documentation on the draw weight of the
      common war crossbows used at Agincourt or Crecy? I've been able to find
      information on the longbows, but nothing specific on the crossbows.
      Shoot Straight,
      Archos Aleksei Zateev, OGGS
      An Tir
    • Dvalin
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 3, 2003
        Greetings
        This is what I have found so far:
        At Crecy, they were most likley using crossbows with composite prods
        (wood/horn/sinew)
        that were cocked using the stirrup and belt hook method. Modern tests show
        these type of
        crossbow would draw in the 300 to 440 pound range. The ligher ones requiring
        one foot in
        the stirrup and the heavier needing two feet.

        At Agincourt, steel prods were in common use, and though their draw
        weights tended to
        be heavier than the composite bows, they were less effecient. Because of the
        heavier draw
        weights, more complicated methods were developed to cock them. Some of the
        methods
        used were: levers (both wood and steel) the cranequin (steel crank) and the
        windlass (ropes &
        pulleys) I have not found draw weights for these yet, other than to say
        heaver than the composite
        ones of 440. I will keep looking.

        I hope this helps. If you have any more questions, I'll do my best to
        answer them.

        My sources are:
        The Crossbow by Sir Ralph Payne-Gallwey
        ISBN 0-946323-14-3

        Iolo's First Book of Crossbows by David R. Watson
        No ISBN on my copy
        Can be ordered from author at http://www.crossbows.net/

        Lord Dvalin Hrafnsson
        Shire of Crystal Crags, Atremisia

        > Would anyone out there have documentation on the draw weight of the
        > common war crossbows used at Agincourt or Crecy? I've been able to find
        > information on the longbows, but nothing specific on the crossbows.
        > Shoot Straight,
        > Archos Aleksei Zateev, OGGS
        > An Tir

        ---
      • Evian Blackthorn
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 4, 2003
          Thank you, Lord Dvalin, for that information. And for
          having something to back up the information.

          Evian