Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Beggining Fletcher Needs Advice

  • John Edgerton
    Message 1 of 23 , Sep 2, 2003
      There is Archery Only in Newark. But, they carry very little in the way
      of traditional supplies.

      Jon

      kissijunk wrote:

      >Wow! What a wealth of information. Thanks everyone, for your
      >advice. I'm eager to get started.
      >
      >P.S. I'm located in the Principality of the Mists, Kingdom of the
      >West, mundanely Fremont, CA. Anyone who knows any good, local gold
      >mines for supplies, please share =)

    • Carolus Eulenhorst
      Message 2 of 23 , Sep 2, 2003
        No, Duco does not work well with Bohning. FletchLac is a vinyl lacquer
        and is designed shed foreign materials to keep shafts cleaner. The
        FletchTite is also based on vinyl lacquer and thus fuses with the
        FletchLac.

        In service to the dream
        Carolus von Eulenhorst
        eulenhorst@...

        On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 23:48:35 EDT badger5149@... writes:
        > In a message dated 9/1/2003 8:27:20 PM Pacific Standard Time,
        > Godwin@...
        > writes:
        >
        > > I use "gasket laquer" which
        >
        > Godwin, where do you buy the gasket laquer, if i go to my local
        > paint store
        > is gasket laquer the proper trade name? I have been just dipping in
        > laquer i
        > buy and thinning it almost 50/50 with thinner but would prefer
        > switching to the
        > method you are using. I recently started using bonning products but
        > they are
        > incompatible with anything else you might use. Will duco cement work
        > with
        > bonning dips? Badger

        Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
      • roguenad2000
        Message 3 of 23 , Sep 2, 2003
          I get alot of my Supplies mail order from a Place in Colorado called
          Valley Traditional Archery. (http://www.valleytradarchery.com/)
          There prices are competitive with other shops, and the people are
          very friendly and helpful.

          They sell "gasket laquer" as "Quick-dry Sealer Coat" and a "quick
          Dry System" to use it. Its basicly a realy thick lacquer that you
          put in a long dip tube. At the top of the tube is a ruber gasket
          with a hole that will just stretch over the shaft.

          By diping the arrow through the gasket you get a very light coat on
          the arrow, and it drys very quickly. When working on a dozen arrows,
          but the time I have dipped the 12th one, the first is dry, and ready
          for the next coat. I normaly put 3 or 4 coats on each shaft.

          Someone was asking about Fletching Jigs, I have single Martin J8 jig
          that I use, and it seems to work quite well. Though I am looking at
          buying a Jojann Multi-fletcher just to speed things up since I have
          found myself doing a lot more fletching lately.

          Dan