Re: Beggining Fletcher Needs Advice

  • L.J. Sparvero
    Message 1 of 23 , Sep 1, 2003
      One thing I've found that works great is fletching tape in combination with
      fletch-tite glue (I would not recommend using it alone). What I do is put a
      line of fletching tape on the feather when it's in the clamp, and tape the
      feather onto the shaft with my clamp-and-jig. This gets the feather on the
      shaft in proper alignment. Then I put a bead of glue along either side of
      where the feather joins the shaft, and an extra bit in front and back, and
      gently rub it in (don't rub your eyes while you're doing this!). If you tie
      your feathers on, you can do this before adding the glue, and add a little
      extra glue between the feathers to keep the thread in place. Using tape I
      can let the arrow dry off the jig, can do many arrows quickly.

      If you have access to an analytical balance, you can weigh out your own
      shafts easily. (Josef Alm's book mentions bolts that were weighed
      individually before competitions, so this was done in period) Three Rivers
      also sells a hand-balance that gives very good precision and good accuracy
      for only $10 or so.

      Shoot well! -Lyev Davidovitch
    • Godwin fitzGilbert de Striguil
      Message 2 of 23 , Sep 1, 2003
        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "kissijunk" <kissijunk@s...>
        wrote:
        > I would like to start fletching my own arrows and would greatly
        > appreciate some advice as to what equipment to buy. What are the
        > barebones equipment requirements? If I had a little more to spend,
        > what would be the best thing to splurge on? What kind of glue does
        > everyone use? Why is there such a wide range in price for taper
        > tools? What fletching jig (?) should I get? Where should I buy all
        > my equipment? If anyone has answers to any of these questions, I
        > would be grateful for your help. Thanks a bunch.

        I use two "6-up" JoJans, one straight and one left helical. I also
        have a "single" in my tackle box. I have a local source for shafts and
        have been very happy with them. As for much else, I've ordered through
        3-Rivers and have always been pleased.

        One note: If you're going to use Fletch-tite, make sure you use
        Bohning products for your stain, laquer or other finishes. Bohning
        works well with Bohning, but has problems with other products. Case in
        point: I use "gasket laquer" which is a thick laquer applied by
        dipping the shaft in a dip tube and pulling back through a small hole
        in a silicon gasket. I used fletch-title for my first dozen arrows,
        and lost a bunch of feathers. It didn't stick very well. Duco cement
        works very well for me, and to reiterate what someone else said, it
        does "melt" the plastic nocks just a little, and when I used plastic
        nocks I also used fletch-tite for those. I use only self-nocks now.

        Godwin
      • badger5149@aol.com
        Message 3 of 23 , Sep 1, 2003
          In a message dated 9/1/2003 8:27:20 PM Pacific Standard Time, Godwin@...
          writes:

          > I use "gasket laquer" which

          Godwin, where do you buy the gasket laquer, if i go to my local paint store
          is gasket laquer the proper trade name? I have been just dipping in laquer i
          buy and thinning it almost 50/50 with thinner but would prefer switching to the
          method you are using. I recently started using bonning products but they are
          incompatible with anything else you might use. Will duco cement work with
          bonning dips? Badger

        • John Edgerton
          Message 4 of 23 , Sep 2, 2003
            There is Archery Only in Newark. But, they carry very little in the way
            of traditional supplies.

            Jon

            kissijunk wrote:

            >Wow! What a wealth of information. Thanks everyone, for your
            >advice. I'm eager to get started.
            >
            >P.S. I'm located in the Principality of the Mists, Kingdom of the
            >West, mundanely Fremont, CA. Anyone who knows any good, local gold
            >mines for supplies, please share =)

          • Carolus Eulenhorst
            Message 5 of 23 , Sep 2, 2003
              No, Duco does not work well with Bohning. FletchLac is a vinyl lacquer
              and is designed shed foreign materials to keep shafts cleaner. The
              FletchTite is also based on vinyl lacquer and thus fuses with the
              FletchLac.

              In service to the dream
              Carolus von Eulenhorst
              eulenhorst@...

              On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 23:48:35 EDT badger5149@... writes:
              > In a message dated 9/1/2003 8:27:20 PM Pacific Standard Time,
              > Godwin@...
              > writes:
              >
              > > I use "gasket laquer" which
              >
              > Godwin, where do you buy the gasket laquer, if i go to my local
              > paint store
              > is gasket laquer the proper trade name? I have been just dipping in
              > laquer i
              > buy and thinning it almost 50/50 with thinner but would prefer
              > switching to the
              > method you are using. I recently started using bonning products but
              > they are
              > incompatible with anything else you might use. Will duco cement work
              > with
              > bonning dips? Badger

              Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
            • roguenad2000
              Message 6 of 23 , Sep 2, 2003
                I get alot of my Supplies mail order from a Place in Colorado called
                Valley Traditional Archery. (http://www.valleytradarchery.com/)
                There prices are competitive with other shops, and the people are
                very friendly and helpful.

                They sell "gasket laquer" as "Quick-dry Sealer Coat" and a "quick
                Dry System" to use it. Its basicly a realy thick lacquer that you
                put in a long dip tube. At the top of the tube is a ruber gasket
                with a hole that will just stretch over the shaft.

                By diping the arrow through the gasket you get a very light coat on
                the arrow, and it drys very quickly. When working on a dozen arrows,
                but the time I have dipped the 12th one, the first is dry, and ready
                for the next coat. I normaly put 3 or 4 coats on each shaft.

                Someone was asking about Fletching Jigs, I have single Martin J8 jig
                that I use, and it seems to work quite well. Though I am looking at
                buying a Jojann Multi-fletcher just to speed things up since I have
                found myself doing a lot more fletching lately.

                Dan