Re: [SCA-Archery] Beggining Fletcher Needs Advice

  • badger5149@aol.com
    Message 1 of 23 , Sep 1 7:21 AM
      In a message dated 9/1/2003 12:41:07 AM Pacific Standard Time,
      corinthianarmries@... writes:

      > I have had bad experience with FS archery, not just with the raw shafts.

      I think you have to look at whats good and whats not, I get ok deals from
      them on tips and feathers, and knocks, I did not like their shafts at all either.
      But on some items they are as good as the next guy with better prices very
      often. Badger

    • Eadric Anstapa
      Message 2 of 23 , Sep 1 8:45 AM
        Similar experiences here with FS. Customer service stinks, they are often
        slow to ship, if they screw up your order it's difficult to get them to fix
        it.

        When we order from retailers we now order from 3Rivers or Kustom King.
        Links to both their sites are on archery.ansteorra.org.

        Regards,

        HL Eadric Anstapa
        Ansteorra
        eadric@...

        Message 3 of 23 , Sep 1 7:40 PM
          Wow! What a wealth of information. Thanks everyone, for your
          advice. I'm eager to get started.

          P.S. I'm located in the Principality of the Mists, Kingdom of the
          West, mundanely Fremont, CA. Anyone who knows any good, local gold
          mines for supplies, please share =)
        • L.J. Sparvero
          Message 4 of 23 , Sep 1 7:58 PM
            One thing I've found that works great is fletching tape in combination with
            fletch-tite glue (I would not recommend using it alone). What I do is put a
            line of fletching tape on the feather when it's in the clamp, and tape the
            feather onto the shaft with my clamp-and-jig. This gets the feather on the
            shaft in proper alignment. Then I put a bead of glue along either side of
            where the feather joins the shaft, and an extra bit in front and back, and
            gently rub it in (don't rub your eyes while you're doing this!). If you tie
            your feathers on, you can do this before adding the glue, and add a little
            extra glue between the feathers to keep the thread in place. Using tape I
            can let the arrow dry off the jig, can do many arrows quickly.

            If you have access to an analytical balance, you can weigh out your own
            shafts easily. (Josef Alm's book mentions bolts that were weighed
            individually before competitions, so this was done in period) Three Rivers
            also sells a hand-balance that gives very good precision and good accuracy
            for only $10 or so.

            Shoot well! -Lyev Davidovitch
          • Godwin fitzGilbert de Striguil
            Message 5 of 23 , Sep 1 8:25 PM
              --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "kissijunk" <kissijunk@s...>
              wrote:
              > I would like to start fletching my own arrows and would greatly
              > appreciate some advice as to what equipment to buy. What are the
              > barebones equipment requirements? If I had a little more to spend,
              > what would be the best thing to splurge on? What kind of glue does
              > everyone use? Why is there such a wide range in price for taper
              > tools? What fletching jig (?) should I get? Where should I buy all
              > my equipment? If anyone has answers to any of these questions, I
              > would be grateful for your help. Thanks a bunch.

              I use two "6-up" JoJans, one straight and one left helical. I also
              have a "single" in my tackle box. I have a local source for shafts and
              have been very happy with them. As for much else, I've ordered through
              3-Rivers and have always been pleased.

              One note: If you're going to use Fletch-tite, make sure you use
              Bohning products for your stain, laquer or other finishes. Bohning
              works well with Bohning, but has problems with other products. Case in
              point: I use "gasket laquer" which is a thick laquer applied by
              dipping the shaft in a dip tube and pulling back through a small hole
              in a silicon gasket. I used fletch-title for my first dozen arrows,
              and lost a bunch of feathers. It didn't stick very well. Duco cement
              works very well for me, and to reiterate what someone else said, it
              does "melt" the plastic nocks just a little, and when I used plastic
              nocks I also used fletch-tite for those. I use only self-nocks now.

              Godwin
            • badger5149@aol.com
              Message 6 of 23 , Sep 1 8:48 PM
                In a message dated 9/1/2003 8:27:20 PM Pacific Standard Time, Godwin@...
                writes:

                > I use "gasket laquer" which

                Godwin, where do you buy the gasket laquer, if i go to my local paint store
                is gasket laquer the proper trade name? I have been just dipping in laquer i
                buy and thinning it almost 50/50 with thinner but would prefer switching to the
                method you are using. I recently started using bonning products but they are
                incompatible with anything else you might use. Will duco cement work with
                bonning dips? Badger

              • John Edgerton
                Message 7 of 23 , Sep 2 8:28 AM
                  There is Archery Only in Newark. But, they carry very little in the way
                  of traditional supplies.

                  Jon

                  kissijunk wrote:

                  >Wow! What a wealth of information. Thanks everyone, for your
                  >advice. I'm eager to get started.
                  >
                  >P.S. I'm located in the Principality of the Mists, Kingdom of the
                  >West, mundanely Fremont, CA. Anyone who knows any good, local gold
                  >mines for supplies, please share =)

                • Carolus Eulenhorst
                  Message 8 of 23 , Sep 2 12:06 PM
                    No, Duco does not work well with Bohning. FletchLac is a vinyl lacquer
                    and is designed shed foreign materials to keep shafts cleaner. The
                    FletchTite is also based on vinyl lacquer and thus fuses with the
                    FletchLac.

                    In service to the dream
                    Carolus von Eulenhorst
                    eulenhorst@...

                    On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 23:48:35 EDT badger5149@... writes:
                    > In a message dated 9/1/2003 8:27:20 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                    > Godwin@...
                    > writes:
                    >
                    > > I use "gasket laquer" which
                    >
                    > Godwin, where do you buy the gasket laquer, if i go to my local
                    > paint store
                    > is gasket laquer the proper trade name? I have been just dipping in
                    > laquer i
                    > buy and thinning it almost 50/50 with thinner but would prefer
                    > switching to the
                    > method you are using. I recently started using bonning products but
                    > they are
                    > incompatible with anything else you might use. Will duco cement work
                    > with
                    > bonning dips? Badger

                    Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
                  • roguenad2000
                    Message 9 of 23 , Sep 2 4:20 PM
                      I get alot of my Supplies mail order from a Place in Colorado called
                      Valley Traditional Archery. (http://www.valleytradarchery.com/)
                      There prices are competitive with other shops, and the people are
                      very friendly and helpful.

                      They sell "gasket laquer" as "Quick-dry Sealer Coat" and a "quick
                      Dry System" to use it. Its basicly a realy thick lacquer that you
                      put in a long dip tube. At the top of the tube is a ruber gasket
                      with a hole that will just stretch over the shaft.

                      By diping the arrow through the gasket you get a very light coat on
                      the arrow, and it drys very quickly. When working on a dozen arrows,
                      but the time I have dipped the 12th one, the first is dry, and ready
                      for the next coat. I normaly put 3 or 4 coats on each shaft.

                      Someone was asking about Fletching Jigs, I have single Martin J8 jig
                      that I use, and it seems to work quite well. Though I am looking at
                      buying a Jojann Multi-fletcher just to speed things up since I have
                      found myself doing a lot more fletching lately.

                      Dan