RE: [SCA-Archery] Beggining Fletcher Needs Advice

  • Rob A
    Message 1 of 23 , Aug 31, 2003
      I have had bad experience with FS archery, not just with the raw shafts.

      www.3riversarchery.com

      need i say more

      Robert
    • badger5149@aol.com
      Message 2 of 23 , Sep 1 7:21 AM
        In a message dated 9/1/2003 12:41:07 AM Pacific Standard Time,
        corinthianarmries@... writes:

        > I have had bad experience with FS archery, not just with the raw shafts.

        I think you have to look at whats good and whats not, I get ok deals from
        them on tips and feathers, and knocks, I did not like their shafts at all either.
        But on some items they are as good as the next guy with better prices very
        often. Badger

      • Eadric Anstapa
        Message 3 of 23 , Sep 1 8:45 AM
          Similar experiences here with FS. Customer service stinks, they are often
          slow to ship, if they screw up your order it's difficult to get them to fix
          it.

          When we order from retailers we now order from 3Rivers or Kustom King.
          Links to both their sites are on archery.ansteorra.org.

          Regards,

          HL Eadric Anstapa
          Ansteorra
          eadric@...

          Message 4 of 23 , Sep 1 7:40 PM
            Wow! What a wealth of information. Thanks everyone, for your
            advice. I'm eager to get started.

            P.S. I'm located in the Principality of the Mists, Kingdom of the
            West, mundanely Fremont, CA. Anyone who knows any good, local gold
            mines for supplies, please share =)
          • L.J. Sparvero
            Message 5 of 23 , Sep 1 7:58 PM
              One thing I've found that works great is fletching tape in combination with
              fletch-tite glue (I would not recommend using it alone). What I do is put a
              line of fletching tape on the feather when it's in the clamp, and tape the
              feather onto the shaft with my clamp-and-jig. This gets the feather on the
              shaft in proper alignment. Then I put a bead of glue along either side of
              where the feather joins the shaft, and an extra bit in front and back, and
              gently rub it in (don't rub your eyes while you're doing this!). If you tie
              your feathers on, you can do this before adding the glue, and add a little
              extra glue between the feathers to keep the thread in place. Using tape I
              can let the arrow dry off the jig, can do many arrows quickly.

              If you have access to an analytical balance, you can weigh out your own
              shafts easily. (Josef Alm's book mentions bolts that were weighed
              individually before competitions, so this was done in period) Three Rivers
              also sells a hand-balance that gives very good precision and good accuracy
              for only $10 or so.

              Shoot well! -Lyev Davidovitch
            • Godwin fitzGilbert de Striguil
              Message 6 of 23 , Sep 1 8:25 PM
                --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "kissijunk" <kissijunk@s...>
                wrote:
                > I would like to start fletching my own arrows and would greatly
                > appreciate some advice as to what equipment to buy. What are the
                > barebones equipment requirements? If I had a little more to spend,
                > what would be the best thing to splurge on? What kind of glue does
                > everyone use? Why is there such a wide range in price for taper
                > tools? What fletching jig (?) should I get? Where should I buy all
                > my equipment? If anyone has answers to any of these questions, I
                > would be grateful for your help. Thanks a bunch.

                I use two "6-up" JoJans, one straight and one left helical. I also
                have a "single" in my tackle box. I have a local source for shafts and
                have been very happy with them. As for much else, I've ordered through
                3-Rivers and have always been pleased.

                One note: If you're going to use Fletch-tite, make sure you use
                Bohning products for your stain, laquer or other finishes. Bohning
                works well with Bohning, but has problems with other products. Case in
                point: I use "gasket laquer" which is a thick laquer applied by
                dipping the shaft in a dip tube and pulling back through a small hole
                in a silicon gasket. I used fletch-title for my first dozen arrows,
                and lost a bunch of feathers. It didn't stick very well. Duco cement
                works very well for me, and to reiterate what someone else said, it
                does "melt" the plastic nocks just a little, and when I used plastic
                nocks I also used fletch-tite for those. I use only self-nocks now.

                Godwin
              • badger5149@aol.com
                Message 7 of 23 , Sep 1 8:48 PM
                  In a message dated 9/1/2003 8:27:20 PM Pacific Standard Time, Godwin@...
                  writes:

                  > I use "gasket laquer" which

                  Godwin, where do you buy the gasket laquer, if i go to my local paint store
                  is gasket laquer the proper trade name? I have been just dipping in laquer i
                  buy and thinning it almost 50/50 with thinner but would prefer switching to the
                  method you are using. I recently started using bonning products but they are
                  incompatible with anything else you might use. Will duco cement work with
                  bonning dips? Badger

                • John Edgerton
                  Message 8 of 23 , Sep 2 8:28 AM
                    There is Archery Only in Newark. But, they carry very little in the way
                    of traditional supplies.

                    Jon

                    kissijunk wrote:

                    >Wow! What a wealth of information. Thanks everyone, for your
                    >advice. I'm eager to get started.
                    >
                    >P.S. I'm located in the Principality of the Mists, Kingdom of the
                    >West, mundanely Fremont, CA. Anyone who knows any good, local gold
                    >mines for supplies, please share =)

                  • Carolus Eulenhorst
                    Message 9 of 23 , Sep 2 12:06 PM
                      No, Duco does not work well with Bohning. FletchLac is a vinyl lacquer
                      and is designed shed foreign materials to keep shafts cleaner. The
                      FletchTite is also based on vinyl lacquer and thus fuses with the
                      FletchLac.

                      In service to the dream
                      Carolus von Eulenhorst
                      eulenhorst@...

                      On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 23:48:35 EDT badger5149@... writes:
                      > In a message dated 9/1/2003 8:27:20 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                      > Godwin@...
                      > writes:
                      >
                      > > I use "gasket laquer" which
                      >
                      > Godwin, where do you buy the gasket laquer, if i go to my local
                      > paint store
                      > is gasket laquer the proper trade name? I have been just dipping in
                      > laquer i
                      > buy and thinning it almost 50/50 with thinner but would prefer
                      > switching to the
                      > method you are using. I recently started using bonning products but
                      > they are
                      > incompatible with anything else you might use. Will duco cement work
                      > with
                      > bonning dips? Badger

                      Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
                    • roguenad2000
                      Message 10 of 23 , Sep 2 4:20 PM
                        I get alot of my Supplies mail order from a Place in Colorado called
                        Valley Traditional Archery. (http://www.valleytradarchery.com/)
                        There prices are competitive with other shops, and the people are
                        very friendly and helpful.

                        They sell "gasket laquer" as "Quick-dry Sealer Coat" and a "quick
                        Dry System" to use it. Its basicly a realy thick lacquer that you
                        put in a long dip tube. At the top of the tube is a ruber gasket
                        with a hole that will just stretch over the shaft.

                        By diping the arrow through the gasket you get a very light coat on
                        the arrow, and it drys very quickly. When working on a dozen arrows,
                        but the time I have dipped the 12th one, the first is dry, and ready
                        for the next coat. I normaly put 3 or 4 coats on each shaft.

                        Someone was asking about Fletching Jigs, I have single Martin J8 jig
                        that I use, and it seems to work quite well. Though I am looking at
                        buying a Jojann Multi-fletcher just to speed things up since I have
                        found myself doing a lot more fletching lately.

                        Dan