Beggining Fletcher Needs Advice

  • kissijunk
    Message 1 of 23 , Aug 29, 2003
      I would like to start fletching my own arrows and would greatly
      appreciate some advice as to what equipment to buy. What are the
      barebones equipment requirements? If I had a little more to spend,
      what would be the best thing to splurge on? What kind of glue does
      everyone use? Why is there such a wide range in price for taper
      tools? What fletching jig (?) should I get? Where should I buy all
      my equipment? If anyone has answers to any of these questions, I
      would be grateful for your help. Thanks a bunch.
    • Carolus Eulenhorst
      Message 2 of 23 , Aug 30, 2003
        I use the Accurate Taper Tool made by Whiffen in Milwaukee. Some tools
        are more adjustable, others vary in other details so prices vary. Get
        the best fletching jig you can afford, I like the Bitzenberger but they
        cost $$. JoJan makes another good one. Make sure the jig holds the
        shaft and feather securely, is repeatable in setup, and can adjust the
        angle and centering (front and rear). It should also have both straight
        and helical clamps available (start with straight). I recommend using
        Fletch Tite for fletching cement. It gives me the most secure bond.
        Others like different glues and have good luck with them. Maybe its the
        finish they use. Make sure you use a good hot melt glue like Ferr-l Tite
        for attaching points. Duco, Elmer's, super glue, and various epoxies
        tend to leave points in the bales (though I have heard some people make
        epoxy work). Basic rule of thumb for fletching is buy the very best
        equipment you can possibly afford (look for used gear, ask at your local
        pro shop to save $).

        Where are you located and maybe we can find someone near you who can help
        get you started.

        In service to the dream
        Carolus von Eulenhorst
        eulenhorst@...

        On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 23:34:15 -0000 "kissijunk" <kissijunk@...>
        writes:
        > I would like to start fletching my own arrows and would greatly
        > appreciate some advice as to what equipment to buy. What are the
        > barebones equipment requirements? If I had a little more to spend,
        >
        > what would be the best thing to splurge on? What kind of glue does
        >
        > everyone use? Why is there such a wide range in price for taper
        > tools? What fletching jig (?) should I get? Where should I buy all
        >
        > my equipment? If anyone has answers to any of these questions, I
        > would be grateful for your help. Thanks a bunch.

        Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
      • Erasmus Urswyc

          Message 4 of 23 , Aug 31, 2003
            I would also reccomend you go see my web page on the subject. it should help you along as well.

            http://www3.sympatico.ca/ragiwarmbear/diy/diy.html

            Ragi

          • badger5149@aol.com
            Message 5 of 23 , Aug 31, 2003
              In a message dated 8/31/2003 2:24:55 AM Pacific Standard Time,
              erasmus_urswyc@... writes:

              > I would like to start fletching my own arrows and would greatly
              > appreciate some advice as to what equipment to buy. What are the
              > barebones equipment requirements? If I had a little more to spend,

              There is a place here in Ca, where they are selling used blitzenbergs for
              20.00 with a straight clamp. I bought 3 of them, extra clamps were 28.00 a piece.
              They have well over a hundred in stock when I was last there. Badger

            • Carolus Eulenhorst
              Message 6 of 23 , Aug 31, 2003
                How about contact info Badger? I could use a couple more.

                In service to the dream
                Carolus von Eulenhorst
                eulenhorst@...

                On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 11:29:55 EDT badger5149@... writes:
                > In a message dated 8/31/2003 2:24:55 AM Pacific Standard Time,
                > erasmus_urswyc@... writes:
                >
                > > I would like to start fletching my own arrows and would greatly
                > > appreciate some advice as to what equipment to buy. What are the
                > > barebones equipment requirements? If I had a little more to spend,
                >

                > There is a place here in Ca, where they are selling used
                > blitzenbergs for
                > 20.00 with a straight clamp. I bought 3 of them, extra clamps were
                > 28.00 a piece.
                > They have well over a hundred in stock when I was last there.
                > Badger

                Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
              • Walter Davis
                Message 7 of 23 , Aug 31, 2003
                  Greetings,I've been making arrows for myself and others for over 25 years. I don't know it all and I learn more about it all the time. I checked out Ragi's site and you won't go wrong if you follow his directions. He has done a great service by making this information available. I would suggest that you buy your shafts from a merchant that marks the spine and weight on each shaft. That way you know your shafts are hand matched. It may cost a little more but when you are making 30 and 40 yard shots (sometimes longer), like we do, the consistency will pay off. I would warn you, Three Rivers Archery doesn't weight match their shafts. I don't understand that. They sell their shafts for as much as hand matched. Other than that, I highly recommend them due to the wide range of things they offer and their good service. I would suggest that you check out the Stickbow site. There are some articles there about making wood arrows and other interesting stuff. There is also a long list of reputable traditional archery suppliers there. Another site you might look at is the Stickbow Target Archery Forum (STAF). You can get some good info there. At STAF you will find plans for a shaft tapering jig that is cheap and easy to build. I built one and have been tapering my own shafts for some time. I've done bobtail tapers, barrel tapers, as well as breasted tapers. It works really well. Anyway, good luck in your arrow making endeavors. I must warn you, making arrows can get addictive. There's always a new wood to try, a new tool to use, and on and on....... Oudoceus --- On Sun 08/31, < badger5149@... > wrote:From: [mailto: badger5149@...]To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.comDate: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 11:29:55 EDTSubject: Re: [SCA-Archery] Beggining Fletcher Needs AdviceIn a message dated 8/31/2003 2:24:55 AM Pacific Standard Time, erasmus_urswyc@... writes:> I would like to start fletching my own arrows and would greatly > appreciate some advice as to what equipment to buy. What are the > barebones equipment requirements? If I had a little more to spend, > There is a place here in Ca, where they are selling used blitzenbergs for 20.00 with a straight clamp. I bought 3 of them, extra clamps were 28.00 a piece. They have well over a hundred in stock when I was last there. Badger[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]---8<---------------------------------------------Brought to you YahooGroups Ad Free in 2003 by Medieval MartGet Medieval at Mad Macsen's http://www.medievalmart.com/%5bEmail to SCA-Archery-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com to leave this list]Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                • Talan
                  Message 8 of 23 , Aug 31, 2003
                    > There is a place here in Ca, where they are selling used blitzenbergs for
                    > 20.00 with a straight clamp.

                    Do they ship mail order? Whats the contact information? Ive been
                    looking for a good (yet cheap) jig for a while, i cant seem to find any
                    under 40$.

                    Many thanks.
                    --
                    Talan - Talan@...
                    Kingdom of Ansteorra.
                    Message 9 of 23 , Aug 31, 2003
                      In a message dated 8/31/2003 2:33:55 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                      eulenhorst@... writes:

                      > How about contact info Badger? I could use a couple more.

                      Fs discount archery in tustin ca, use key words " archery tustin"
                      and it will come up on search engine

                    • jotl@ridgecrest.ca.us
                      Message 10 of 23 , Aug 31, 2003
                        At 8:51 PM 8/31/03 -0400, badger5149@... wrote:
                        >In a message dated 8/31/2003 2:33:55 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                        >eulenhorst@... writes:
                        >
                        >> How about contact info Badger? I could use a couple more.
                        >>

                        >Fs discount archery in tustin ca, use key words " archery tustin"
                        >and it will come up on search engine

                        Be sure and reweigh and spine every shaft you get from FS Archery though.
                        We've had a lot of problems with thier shafting in the past, even when
                        ordering "hand matched" wood shafts.

                        Oh. You were talking about obtaining some of the used Bitzenbergers. I've
                        not had any problems with the other products from FS.

                        James
                        jotl@...
                      • Guy Taylor
                        Message 11 of 23 , Aug 31, 2003
                          In mundane traditional archery circles F/S has a very bad name. It's well
                          recognized that they do not hand spine or weight their shafts, even the ones
                          that they say they do. And I've heard some horrible stories about customer
                          service with them.
                          Quite frankly, I cringe when I seen them recommended to new (or experienced)
                          archers.

                          I occasionally use them for feathers that I've forgotten to order from my
                          regular people since I can drive to F/S in 20 minutes. But that's the only
                          thing I purchase there.

                          Guy

                          > Be sure and reweigh and spine every shaft you get from FS Archery though.
                          > We've had a lot of problems with thier shafting in the past, even when
                          > ordering "hand matched" wood shafts.
                          >
                          > Oh. You were talking about obtaining some of the used
                          > Bitzenbergers. I've
                          > not had any problems with the other products from FS.
                          >
                          > James
                          > jotl@...
                        • Rob A
                          Message 12 of 23 , Aug 31, 2003
                            I have had bad experience with FS archery, not just with the raw shafts.

                            www.3riversarchery.com

                            need i say more

                            Robert
                          • badger5149@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 23 , Aug 31, 2003
                              In a message dated 8/31/2003 9:09:11 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                              greytaylor@... writes:

                              > In mundane traditional archery circles F/S has a very bad name. It's well
                              > recognized that they do not hand spine or weight their shafts, even the ones

                              I buy supplies there but no finished goods, the fletchers I mentioned are
                              comming off of three used fletching tables they bought from some place going out
                              of business. I am curious as to what type of lacquer most of you are using, I
                              have been dipping but not using a wiper which is something I just learned so I
                              had to thin mine way down and dip it several times. Badger

                            • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
                              Message 14 of 23 , Aug 31, 2003
                                Greetings,
                                Several years ago (about 1995 or '96) I purchased raw shafts from
                                FS and what I received was totally unsuitable for arrows and even
                                dowels. The shafts that I received were not straight grained but cross
                                grained and not well cut to the degree that there was flatness on some
                                sides of the shafts and wood loss from where their cutters binded. I
                                refused to purchase from them again and my complaints to their customer
                                service were ignored.
                                It is possible that they have changed since then, but I am not
                                willing to take the chance. The shafts were eventually used to mark out
                                a range with string at an event
                                it is all that they were suitable for.

                                caveat emptor

                                -Geoffrei
                              • badger5149@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 23 , Sep 1, 2003
                                  In a message dated 9/1/2003 12:41:07 AM Pacific Standard Time,
                                  corinthianarmries@... writes:

                                  > I have had bad experience with FS archery, not just with the raw shafts.

                                  I think you have to look at whats good and whats not, I get ok deals from
                                  them on tips and feathers, and knocks, I did not like their shafts at all either.
                                  But on some items they are as good as the next guy with better prices very
                                  often. Badger

                                • Eadric Anstapa
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Sep 1, 2003
                                    Similar experiences here with FS. Customer service stinks, they are often
                                    slow to ship, if they screw up your order it's difficult to get them to fix
                                    it.

                                    When we order from retailers we now order from 3Rivers or Kustom King.
                                    Links to both their sites are on archery.ansteorra.org.

                                    Regards,

                                    HL Eadric Anstapa
                                    Ansteorra
                                    eadric@...

                                    > In mundane traditional archery circles F/S has a very bad name. It's well
                                    > recognized that they do not hand spine or weight their shafts, even the
                                    ones
                                    > that they say they do. And I've heard some horrible stories about
                                    customer
                                    > service with them.
                                    > Quite frankly, I cringe when I seen them recommended to new (or
                                    experienced)
                                    > archers.
                                    >
                                    > I occasionally use them for feathers that I've forgotten to order from my
                                    > regular people since I can drive to F/S in 20 minutes. But that's the
                                    only
                                    > thing I purchase there.
                                    >
                                    > Guy
                                    >

                                    > > Be sure and reweigh and spine every shaft you get from FS Archery
                                    though.
                                    > > We've had a lot of problems with thier shafting in the past, even when
                                    > > ordering "hand matched" wood shafts.
                                    > >
                                    > > Oh. You were talking about obtaining some of the used
                                    > > Bitzenbergers. I've
                                    > > not had any problems with the other products from FS.
                                    > >
                                    > > James
                                    > > jotl@...

                                  • kissijunk
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Sep 1, 2003
                                      Wow! What a wealth of information. Thanks everyone, for your
                                      advice. I'm eager to get started.

                                      P.S. I'm located in the Principality of the Mists, Kingdom of the
                                      West, mundanely Fremont, CA. Anyone who knows any good, local gold
                                      mines for supplies, please share =)
                                    • L.J. Sparvero
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Sep 1, 2003
                                        One thing I've found that works great is fletching tape in combination with
                                        fletch-tite glue (I would not recommend using it alone). What I do is put a
                                        line of fletching tape on the feather when it's in the clamp, and tape the
                                        feather onto the shaft with my clamp-and-jig. This gets the feather on the
                                        shaft in proper alignment. Then I put a bead of glue along either side of
                                        where the feather joins the shaft, and an extra bit in front and back, and
                                        gently rub it in (don't rub your eyes while you're doing this!). If you tie
                                        your feathers on, you can do this before adding the glue, and add a little
                                        extra glue between the feathers to keep the thread in place. Using tape I
                                        can let the arrow dry off the jig, can do many arrows quickly.

                                        If you have access to an analytical balance, you can weigh out your own
                                        shafts easily. (Josef Alm's book mentions bolts that were weighed
                                        individually before competitions, so this was done in period) Three Rivers
                                        also sells a hand-balance that gives very good precision and good accuracy
                                        for only $10 or so.

                                        Shoot well! -Lyev Davidovitch
                                      • Godwin fitzGilbert de Striguil
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Sep 1, 2003
                                          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "kissijunk" <kissijunk@s...>
                                          wrote:
                                          > I would like to start fletching my own arrows and would greatly
                                          > appreciate some advice as to what equipment to buy. What are the
                                          > barebones equipment requirements? If I had a little more to spend,
                                          > what would be the best thing to splurge on? What kind of glue does
                                          > everyone use? Why is there such a wide range in price for taper
                                          > tools? What fletching jig (?) should I get? Where should I buy all
                                          > my equipment? If anyone has answers to any of these questions, I
                                          > would be grateful for your help. Thanks a bunch.

                                          I use two "6-up" JoJans, one straight and one left helical. I also
                                          have a "single" in my tackle box. I have a local source for shafts and
                                          have been very happy with them. As for much else, I've ordered through
                                          3-Rivers and have always been pleased.

                                          One note: If you're going to use Fletch-tite, make sure you use
                                          Bohning products for your stain, laquer or other finishes. Bohning
                                          works well with Bohning, but has problems with other products. Case in
                                          point: I use "gasket laquer" which is a thick laquer applied by
                                          dipping the shaft in a dip tube and pulling back through a small hole
                                          in a silicon gasket. I used fletch-title for my first dozen arrows,
                                          and lost a bunch of feathers. It didn't stick very well. Duco cement
                                          works very well for me, and to reiterate what someone else said, it
                                          does "melt" the plastic nocks just a little, and when I used plastic
                                          nocks I also used fletch-tite for those. I use only self-nocks now.

                                          Godwin
                                        • badger5149@aol.com
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Sep 1, 2003
                                            In a message dated 9/1/2003 8:27:20 PM Pacific Standard Time, Godwin@...
                                            writes:

                                            > I use "gasket laquer" which

                                            Godwin, where do you buy the gasket laquer, if i go to my local paint store
                                            is gasket laquer the proper trade name? I have been just dipping in laquer i
                                            buy and thinning it almost 50/50 with thinner but would prefer switching to the
                                            method you are using. I recently started using bonning products but they are
                                            incompatible with anything else you might use. Will duco cement work with
                                            bonning dips? Badger

                                          • John Edgerton
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Sep 2, 2003
                                              There is Archery Only in Newark. But, they carry very little in the way
                                              of traditional supplies.

                                              Jon

                                              Message 22 of 23 , Sep 2, 2003
                                                No, Duco does not work well with Bohning. FletchLac is a vinyl lacquer
                                                and is designed shed foreign materials to keep shafts cleaner. The
                                                FletchTite is also based on vinyl lacquer and thus fuses with the
                                                FletchLac.

                                                In service to the dream
                                                Carolus von Eulenhorst
                                                eulenhorst@...

                                                On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 23:48:35 EDT badger5149@... writes:
                                                > In a message dated 9/1/2003 8:27:20 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                                                > Godwin@...
                                                > writes:
                                                >
                                                > > I use "gasket laquer" which
                                                >
                                                > Godwin, where do you buy the gasket laquer, if i go to my local
                                                > paint store
                                                > is gasket laquer the proper trade name? I have been just dipping in
                                                > laquer i
                                                > buy and thinning it almost 50/50 with thinner but would prefer
                                                > switching to the
                                                > method you are using. I recently started using bonning products but
                                                > they are
                                                > incompatible with anything else you might use. Will duco cement work
                                                > with
                                                > bonning dips? Badger

                                                Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
                                              • roguenad2000
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Sep 2, 2003
                                                  I get alot of my Supplies mail order from a Place in Colorado called
                                                  Valley Traditional Archery. (http://www.valleytradarchery.com/)
                                                  There prices are competitive with other shops, and the people are
                                                  very friendly and helpful.

                                                  They sell "gasket laquer" as "Quick-dry Sealer Coat" and a "quick
                                                  Dry System" to use it. Its basicly a realy thick lacquer that you
                                                  put in a long dip tube. At the top of the tube is a ruber gasket
                                                  with a hole that will just stretch over the shaft.

                                                  By diping the arrow through the gasket you get a very light coat on
                                                  the arrow, and it drys very quickly. When working on a dozen arrows,
                                                  but the time I have dipped the 12th one, the first is dry, and ready
                                                  for the next coat. I normaly put 3 or 4 coats on each shaft.

                                                  Someone was asking about Fletching Jigs, I have single Martin J8 jig
                                                  that I use, and it seems to work quite well. Though I am looking at
                                                  buying a Jojann Multi-fletcher just to speed things up since I have
                                                  found myself doing a lot more fletching lately.

                                                  Dan