Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: B-66?

  • Carolus Eulenhorst
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 29, 2003
      The sources I found indicate less long term stretch, not less shock
      absorbing stretch. In fact, it was recommended for older bows with less
      forgiving construction.

      In service to the dream
      Carolus von Eulenhorst
      eulenhorst@...

      On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 03:37:51 -0000 "logantheboweyder" <bln2355@...>
      writes:
      > As with any high tech material, use caution and good judgement.
      >
      > The highest stress on a bow is when the bowstring snaps straight.
      > With too much stretch, energy that could have gone into the arrow is
      >
      > instead spent stretching the string when drawn. With too little
      > stretch, bow shock can grow excessive, and break your tips if the
      > bowyer did not intend for low-strech material to be used.
      >
      > When the string snaps straight, some energy is absorbed in the
      > string, by stretching. The rest is transferred to the bow. I saw
      > someone yester-eve shooting a longbow with fast-flight, and the
      > shock
      > took off a tip reinforcement. Would it have come off with a B-50
      > string, or a linen string? No way to tell, but there would have been
      >
      > less of a chance.
      >
      > Low stretch materials... are they pre-stretched, or are they
      > constructed with other materials/methods to stretch less? Has
      > anyone
      > noticed an older bowstring that has stretched fully give more hand
      > shock than a new one?
      >
      > Logan the Boweyder

      Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!