Re: [SCA-Archery] Canon 29 of Lateran II

  • J. Hughes
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 23 7:18 AM
      In history context is everything. The statements of
      Pope and Council were part of the initiative of the
      Church to curb warfare by any means possible. The also
      issued the "Truce of God" and "Peace of God" which
      attempted to limit when any fighting could occur (no
      Sundays, holy days, Lent, or Advent). The entire peace
      program did not work. Within 50 years the Papacy
      itself was using archers (crossbowmen at that) in its
      wars in Italy. Though it did not work, International
      Law historians cite this movement as critical to the
      development of such law.

      Charles O'Connor
      --- Ragnar Ketilsson <ragnarketilsson@...>

      http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com