Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Black Locust,

  • Carolus Eulenhorst
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 19, 2003
      The drought conditions here should create a finer and more dense grain
      pattern making the wood more suitable for bowmaking than eastern woods.
      That is why Italian or Spanish yew was preferred by the English bowyers
      in period. Pity all those stands were logged over for bows.

      In service to the dream
      Carolus von Eulenhorst
      eulenhorst@...

      On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 02:47:24 EDT badger5149@... writes:
      > I have been trying to beg borrow or steel a stav of black
      > locust for
      > the last year and couldn't get any. I finally found out what the
      > tree looks
      > like and discovered they grow all over so ca. and 2 years ago I had
      > over twenty
      > of them taken out of a back lot i was renting, they were just
      > growing wild. Now
      > all I have to do is find one i can cut down, hope they grow the same
      > here as
      > they do back east. Badger

      Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!