Re: [SCA-Archery]Quick question? (X-bow speed rounds)

  • David Poulin
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 10, 2003
      Milady,

      On the first day I owned one (three weeks ago) I got off four the first time
      and five the next two times. The next day I was still at five (three more
      times). I have since bee honing my style a bit and have worked up to a
      steady 6 with an occasional 7 (once I could have had 8 if I hadn't fumbled
      one).

      I shoot standing and recock between shots by placing the butt of the stock
      on my hip/upper thigh and pulling the string toward me (note, there is no
      foot loop on this model - an Owlstrike). I have the bolts lined up in my
      belt on the left side and pull one out as I start to raise the bow back to
      my shoulder sliding it into position lust before it gets there. I then take
      a quick peek to see if I'm close to my 'aiming point' and release. I don't
      watch where the bolts go, though I listen for the thud of them hitting the
      butt (and hopefully scoring well).

      My previous best with a hand bow (45# recurve) was a Royal Round of 71. On
      DAY ONE I shot an 83, DAY TWO I shot a 75 (a bit hung over from the previous
      evening)... I have not shot many other Royals since that weekend (best one
      since then was a 74) but have been practicing a good deal...

      Also note that I am not yet familiar enough with this new toy to trust
      myself at variable distances - I still shoot much better at those with my
      recurve.

      Antony Martin of Sheffield
      Captain, Northern Company of the Sun
      Servant to the Crown of the East

      For those of you who shoot a X bow, this could be a question for you. I was
      just wondering how many bolts you got off in a speed round and if you are
      standing, sitting, ect.? I could manage to get off around 5 on a good day
      6. I just wanted to see where I stand.

      Thanks, Juliana
    • badger5149@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 10, 2003
        In a message dated 8/10/2003 9:36:13 PM Pacific Standard Time, chaos@...
        writes:

        > On the first day I owned one (three weeks ago) I got off four the first
        > time
        > and five the next two times. The next day I was still at five (three more
        > times). I have since bee honing my style a bit and have worked up to a
        > steady 6 with an occasional 7 (once I could have had 8 if I hadn't fumbled
        > one).

        I am curious as to the poundage you are shooting, I just finished making one
        that is about 135# seems to hit about the same as my 50# recurve. I am
        thinking of making one about 100# but with 14" draw instead of 12. I am very slow at
        reloading the one i have now, and still have to perfect the trigger, way too
        much effort to release. Badger

      • Carolus Eulenhorst
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 11, 2003
          Bring it to practice next Sunday and we can see about tuning it.

          In service to the dream
          Carolus von Eulenhorst
          eulenhorst@...

          On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 01:42:03 EDT badger5149@... writes:

          > I am curious as to the poundage you are shooting, I just finished
          > making one
          > that is about 135# seems to hit about the same as my 50# recurve. I
          > am
          > thinking of making one about 100# but with 14" draw instead of 12. I
          > am very slow at
          > reloading the one i have now, and still have to perfect the trigger,
          > way too
          > much effort to release. Badger

          Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
        • David Poulin
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 13, 2003
            The x-bow I got is a 75# at 14" draw and is a 'production model replica of
            an original period design' (meaning he makes a lot of the same thing, not
            that they are machine-produced) with a pin release trigger by lifting a
            lever from the underside of the stock...

            Antony