Re: "period" vs. "non-period"

  • James ap Llywelyn
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 4, 2003
      Conversely, look at the number of "late period" personas fighting in
      spangenhelms! I am fortunate, as a Welshman from some time between
      the 13th and 16th centuries I use a longbow. I acquired a very
      faithful rendition of the english longbow that pulls 30# at 28. My
      Knight however, is a norseman through and through, firmly mired in
      the 10th century, so I am often found in viborg shirts and leg
      bindings as often as doublets or houpelandes. I think the only effect
      persona has on archery is if you feel strongly about your persona and
      it is one whose culture and time would have used a bow, then do the
      research and try your hand at shooting something pertinent to your
      persona. It really is fun.
      It is important though to remember what has been stated here
      regarding new shooters and traditional equipment. I have 12 expert
      marksman awards with a modern rifle and after 3 months still have
      difficulty getting my longbow to do the same thing twice! My knight
      has a shoot-through bear recurve though that comes much closer to
      consistency, I imagine due to a more forgiving design.
      James ap Llywelyn

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Carolus Eulenhorst