Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Bamboo

  • Carolus Eulenhorst
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 5, 2003
      Arundinaria resemble bamboo but are not. It is an import from SE Asia
      and is a major problem here in California as it is choking out the native
      vegetations. We are trying to eliminate it from our waterways now.
      Unfortunately, some landscapers haven't gotten the message and are still
      planting it in people's yards.

      In service to the dream
      Carolus von Eulenhorst
      eulenhorst@...

      On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 04:31:58 -0000 "jameswolfden" <jameswolfden@...>
      writes:
      > The phragmite reed and the river cane are two different things.
      > The river cane is also known as Arundinaria gigantea and this is
      > listed as a bamboo in the sites that I have checked.
      >
      > For the record, the Bowyer's bible only refers to it as river cane
      > the best of my knowledge. They do also refer to phragmite as an
      > arrow material but not in the same location. I was the one
      > claiming river cane was bamboo. (So if I am wrong about river
      > cane being a bamboo, its my fault not theirs.)
      >
      > James

      Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!