Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Bamboo

  • Robert Lauderdale
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 4 4:59 PM
      At 07:37 PM 8/4/03 +0000, you wrote:

      > > I have been examining Native American bamboo arrows and have found
      >that the last 8-10" of the shaft is of hardwood, but not a removable
      >segment as used in some tribes. Perhaps the strength and smoothness
      >here serves some purpose in controlling breakage or flight.
      >However, few of the lowland trees and shrubs would have provided
      >long, straight shafts so the bonding of the two materials may have
      >been from necessity. May be worth a try if you can only find
      >shorter pieces of straight bamboo.
      >
      >Kinjal

      A footed arrow makes the foreshaft heavier and as a consequence the arrow
      flies better.

      If you are ever anywhere near Columbia Missouri it will be well worth your
      time to arrange a tour of the Grayson archery collection,
      http://coas.missouri.edu/anthromuseum/grayson/grayson.html

      Dr Grayson, now in his 90s and still sharp, has been a collector and
      archery pioneer for over 70 years. I had the privelge a couple of months
      ago of having him take me in and allow me to wander through the shelves and
      actually handle the items. I spent three hours there--I could have spent a
      week and not seen it all.

      The collection has example of native American arrows made from cane, a
      several thousand year old section of antler that some ancient bower had cut
      for making a stave, African arrows with the poison still on them (careful
      handling those!) and Japanese and Chinese and Persian and Native American
      and on and on till it makes your head swim.

      Chidiock
    • Talmon Parker
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 4 6:29 PM
        TalmonThe only one I have exaimaned had a piece of what was said to be
        English hedge plant. I'm not sure that is the right name for it and I don't
        know how old it was , the self nock was cut into this and was bound with
        what looked like linen. It was owned by a chief Red Fox of the ogalla sioux.
        Fletch was turkey feathers. point was flint bird point very small.There
        was just the one.

        Talmon

        DER BARON

        >From: Robert Lauderdale <chidiock@...>
        >To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Bamboo
        >Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2003 18:59:52 -0500
        >
        >At 07:37 PM 8/4/03 +0000, you wrote:
        >
        > > > I have been examining Native American bamboo arrows and have found
        > >that the last 8-10" of the shaft is of hardwood, but not a removable
        > >segment as used in some tribes. Perhaps the strength and smoothness
        > >here serves some purpose in controlling breakage or flight.
        > >However, few of the lowland trees and shrubs would have provided
        > >long, straight shafts so the bonding of the two materials may have
        > >been from necessity. May be worth a try if you can only find
        > >shorter pieces of straight bamboo.
        > >
        > >Kinjal
        >
        >A footed arrow makes the foreshaft heavier and as a consequence the arrow
        >flies better.
        >
        >If you are ever anywhere near Columbia Missouri it will be well worth your
        >time to arrange a tour of the Grayson archery collection,
        >http://coas.missouri.edu/anthromuseum/grayson/grayson.html
        >
        >Dr Grayson, now in his 90s and still sharp, has been a collector and
        >archery pioneer for over 70 years. I had the privelge a couple of months
        >ago of having him take me in and allow me to wander through the shelves and
        >actually handle the items. I spent three hours there--I could have spent a
        >week and not seen it all.
        >
        >The collection has example of native American arrows made from cane, a
        >several thousand year old section of antler that some ancient bower had cut
        >for making a stave, African arrows with the poison still on them (careful
        >handling those!) and Japanese and Chinese and Persian and Native American
        >and on and on till it makes your head swim.
        >
        >Chidiock

      • jameswolfden
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 4 9:31 PM
          The phragmite reed and the river cane are two different things.
          The river cane is also known as Arundinaria gigantea and this is
          listed as a bamboo in the sites that I have checked.

          For the record, the Bowyer's bible only refers to it as river cane to
          the best of my knowledge. They do also refer to phragmite as an
          arrow material but not in the same location. I was the one
          claiming river cane was bamboo. (So if I am wrong about river
          cane being a bamboo, its my fault not theirs.)

          James

          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, blkknighti@a... wrote:
          > Ok, bamboo is a "grass," and the phragmite reeds that are
          native to the US
          > are considered "grass" but I don't think that they are bamboo
          although I'm sure
          > that the authors of the Boyars bible could have mistaken them
          for such. I have
          > had the luxury of closely inspecting artifact Lenape arrows and
          they are
          > constructed of phragmite reed. I also have collected the
          materials I would need to
          > make replica arrows but haven't gotten around to it.
          > I am getting ready for Pensic so I don't have time right now but I
          have
          > collected some info on these arrows (it got buried somewhere
          in this house when I
          > moved.)
          > I just really don't think what they were referring to is actually
          classified
          > as "bamboo". I'm not a botanist although I know that the reed
          Lenape and other
        • blkknighti@aol.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 4 10:34 PM
            In a message dated 8/5/03 12:32:45 AM, jameswolfden@... writes:

            << The phragmite reed and the river cane are two different things. >>

            Absolutely.

            <<The river cane is also known as Arundinaria gigantea and this is

            listed as a bamboo in the sites that I have checked. >>

            This is true. I was mistaken when I said "I just really don't think what
            they were referring to is actually classified as "bamboo". (snipped). This could
            all be a

            matter of semantics."
            Its not a matter of semantics and James, you are not incorrect. River Reed is
            a bamboo (the only which is native to North America). It is not what I had
            thought it was, being phragmite, which is what the Lenapes used. It also is not
            very common to the Lenape territory which would explain why they would be
            using phragmite. One the other hand Seminoles or other more southern natives would
            very likely have used bamboo. This information is actually pretty cool if you
            think about it.
            A shout out of thanks to my little Lenape friends.....
            Richard

            <<For the record, the Bowyer's bible only refers to it as river cane to

            the best of my knowledge. They do also refer to phragmite as an

            arrow material but not in the same location. I was the one

            claiming river cane was bamboo. (So if I am wrong about river

            cane being a bamboo, its my fault not theirs.)

            James >>

            --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, blkknighti@a... wrote:

            > Ok, bamboo is a "grass," and the phragmite reeds that are

            native to the US

            > are considered "grass" but I don't think that they are bamboo

            although I'm sure

            > that the authors of the Boyars bible could have mistaken them

            for such. I have

            > had the luxury of closely inspecting artifact Lenape arrows and

            they are

            > constructed of phragmite reed. I also have collected the

            materials I would need to

            > make replica arrows but haven't gotten around to it.

            > I am getting ready for Pensic so I don't have time right now but I

            have

            > collected some info on these arrows (it got buried somewhere

            in this house when I

            > moved.)

            > I just really don't think what they were referring to is actually

            classified as "bamboo". I'm not a botanist although I know that the reed

            Lenape and other local tribes used were phragmite reed. This could all be a

            matter of semantics.

            > I'll try to persue this further when I get back.

            > Richard

          • Carolus Eulenhorst
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 5 12:26 AM
              Native American shafts were usually cane, not bamboo per se. This could
              be harvested from most wetlands, even transient ones found in desert
              areas. The shafts were cut and dried in bundles, then straightened by
              running them through a groove in a heated rock. Check out Ishii in Two
              Worlds for a description of how to do this ( I think that's the book, my
              anthro books are packed but it was one of the Ishii books I think by
              Kroeber).

              In service to the dream
              Carolus von Eulenhorst
              eulenhorst@...

              On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 16:35:41 EDT blkknighti@... writes:
              > Just wondering ...where does the bamboo grow in the US that Native
              > Americans
              > used? My wife is Lanape and never heard of this. It sound
              > interesting.
              > Richard
              >
              > In a message dated 8/4/03 3:40:18 PM, gusarimagic@...
              > writes:
              >
              > << > I have been examining Native American bamboo arrows and have
              > found
              >
              > that the last 8-10" of the shaft is of hardwood, but not a removable
              >

              > segment as used in some tribes. Perhaps the strength and smoothness
              >

              > here serves some purpose in controlling breakage or flight.
              >
              > However, few of the lowland trees and shrubs would have provided
              >
              > long, straight shafts so the bonding of the two materials may have
              >
              > been from necessity. May be worth a try if you can only find
              >
              > shorter pieces of straight bamboo.
              >

              > Kinjal >>

            • Carolus Eulenhorst
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 5 12:40 AM
                Arundinaria resemble bamboo but are not. It is an import from SE Asia
                and is a major problem here in California as it is choking out the native
                vegetations. We are trying to eliminate it from our waterways now.
                Unfortunately, some landscapers haven't gotten the message and are still
                planting it in people's yards.

                In service to the dream
                Carolus von Eulenhorst
                eulenhorst@...

                On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 04:31:58 -0000 "jameswolfden" <jameswolfden@...>
                writes:
                > The phragmite reed and the river cane are two different things.
                > The river cane is also known as Arundinaria gigantea and this is
                > listed as a bamboo in the sites that I have checked.
                >
                > For the record, the Bowyer's bible only refers to it as river cane
                > the best of my knowledge. They do also refer to phragmite as an
                > arrow material but not in the same location. I was the one
                > claiming river cane was bamboo. (So if I am wrong about river
                > cane being a bamboo, its my fault not theirs.)
                >
                > James

                Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!