Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: I found a bow

  • Marko Peussa
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 4, 2003
      There seems to be cheap bamboo target arrows at:

      http://www.asahi-archery.co.jp/ya/P-LIST_ya.htm

      The price for KAZU-YA is not too bad for fletched bamboo arrows. I haven't
      got experience with these but they look like worth a try.

      For SCA use, I make kyudo arrows from my stock of 10 mm diameter Finland
      pine shafts. A local supplier made these shafts. They are approx. 1 meter
      long, barely enough for my draw lenght of 96 cm. I also have some older
      Finland birch arrows that have served well for three years. Fletching is
      turkey feathers, wrapping is silk thread and all arrows are lightly coated
      with vegetable oil. Silk thread is coated with clear lacquer and the nocks
      are self-nocks. The finished arrows weight from 40 to 44 grams and spine
      from 45 to 65 pounds. I shoot with a 27 pound bow (at my draw lenght) and
      the arrows will fly more or less straight because of the Insai-Ha technique.
      A fellow kyudo archer shot a few of these arrows at one training session and
      commented that they fly like the normal aluminum ones, only that they are
      heavier.

      The three bamboo makiwara arrows that I have are all splitered because of
      drying. Bamboo does not last well here in Finland, because the humidity is
      quite low during winter. For this reason, I have not gotten more bamboo
      arrows. Perhaps If I could make a humidor, just like for cigars? Hmm.

      Klaus

      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 4, 2003
        I will check into that I am definitely an e-bay shopper.

        Lady Fortunata

        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, badger5149@a... wrote:
        > In a message dated 8/4/2003 8:57:38 AM Pacific Standard Time,
        > ecward@s... writes:
        >
        > > I unfortunately live in a town that really
        > > >doesn't have sporting goods, therefore I would like to find a
        > > >retailer on line that would carry the wood arrows needed to
        target
        > > >shoot in the SCA. Can anyone help me with this.
        > > >
        > > >Lady Fortunata
        > >

        > Lady, Have you tried E-bay, I just bought 32 wood arrow $32.00,
        they are
        > used. There are several guys on e-bay who make and sell very nice
        homemade arrows
        > at good prices also. I make my own arrow very economicaly but the
        original set
        > up for fletching jigs and such can be a little expensive. Find out
        what
        > spined arrow you will need before you buy any, If i was shooting a
        30" arrow out of
        > a 30# recurve I would normally get arrows spined for 40#. But it is
        best to
        > try a few first and see which shoots best before you buy too many.
        Badger

      • Barry Thomason
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 5, 2003
          Here's another good source of SCA arrows. They are beautifully made
          and not that expensive.

          http://www.wholesalearrows.homestead.com/ARROWS.html

          Look at the bottom for the warrior arrows.

          Griffith Gwyn

          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Tami" <fortunata_trb@y...> wrote:
          > Well after a year of searching and many other things going on with
          my
          > life I found a 30# recurve bow on line for 100.00. Now my problem
          is
          > finding arrows for it. I unfortunately live in a town that really
          > doesn't have sporting goods, therefore I would like to find a
          > retailer on line that would carry the wood arrows needed to target
          > shoot in the SCA. Can anyone help me with this.
          >
          > Lady Fortunata
        • Wolfshead

              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 11, 2003
                Thank you, I have a gentleman here in town that sells archery
                equipment plus there is a very nice SCA gentleman that is going to be
                making me some arrows. I have earmarked the sight you recommended for
                future referance.

                Lady Fortunata

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/