Re: [SCA-Archery] I found a bow

  • Carolus Eulenhorst
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 4, 2003
      I'd recommend avoiding FS Discount for arrows as they do not match their
      shafts well and their quality control leaves much to be desired. I've
      seen some good arrows from them but I've seen many more poorly made sets.

      In service to the dream
      Carolus von Eulenhorst
      eulenhorst@...

      On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 09:57:54 -0600 Eric & Mary Ward <ecward@...>
      writes:
      > >Well after a year of searching and many other things going on with
      > my
      > >life I found a 30# recurve bow on line for 100.00. Now my problem
      > is
      > >finding arrows for it. I unfortunately live in a town that really
      > >doesn't have sporting goods, therefore I would like to find a
      > >retailer on line that would carry the wood arrows needed to target
      > >shoot in the SCA. Can anyone help me with this.
      > >
      > >Lady Fortunata
      > >

      > There are lots of arrows available online. Try 3riversarchery.com,
      >
      > or fsdiscountarchery.com
      >
      > YIS,
      > Lord Owen ap Howell
      > Saethyr Fyrd
      > Gryphon & Pheon
      > Deputy Archer General, Artemisia

      Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
    • Marko Peussa
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 4, 2003
        There seems to be cheap bamboo target arrows at:

        http://www.asahi-archery.co.jp/ya/P-LIST_ya.htm

        The price for KAZU-YA is not too bad for fletched bamboo arrows. I haven't
        got experience with these but they look like worth a try.

        For SCA use, I make kyudo arrows from my stock of 10 mm diameter Finland
        pine shafts. A local supplier made these shafts. They are approx. 1 meter
        long, barely enough for my draw lenght of 96 cm. I also have some older
        Finland birch arrows that have served well for three years. Fletching is
        turkey feathers, wrapping is silk thread and all arrows are lightly coated
        with vegetable oil. Silk thread is coated with clear lacquer and the nocks
        are self-nocks. The finished arrows weight from 40 to 44 grams and spine
        from 45 to 65 pounds. I shoot with a 27 pound bow (at my draw lenght) and
        the arrows will fly more or less straight because of the Insai-Ha technique.
        A fellow kyudo archer shot a few of these arrows at one training session and
        commented that they fly like the normal aluminum ones, only that they are
        heavier.

        The three bamboo makiwara arrows that I have are all splitered because of
        drying. Bamboo does not last well here in Finland, because the humidity is
        quite low during winter. For this reason, I have not gotten more bamboo
        arrows. Perhaps If I could make a humidor, just like for cigars? Hmm.

        Klaus

        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 4, 2003
          I will check into that I am definitely an e-bay shopper.

          Lady Fortunata

          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, badger5149@a... wrote:
          > In a message dated 8/4/2003 8:57:38 AM Pacific Standard Time,
          > ecward@s... writes:
          >
          > > I unfortunately live in a town that really
          > > >doesn't have sporting goods, therefore I would like to find a
          > > >retailer on line that would carry the wood arrows needed to
          target
          > > >shoot in the SCA. Can anyone help me with this.
          > > >
          > > >Lady Fortunata
          > >

          > Lady, Have you tried E-bay, I just bought 32 wood arrow $32.00,
          they are
          > used. There are several guys on e-bay who make and sell very nice
          homemade arrows
          > at good prices also. I make my own arrow very economicaly but the
          original set
          > up for fletching jigs and such can be a little expensive. Find out
          what
          > spined arrow you will need before you buy any, If i was shooting a
          30" arrow out of
          > a 30# recurve I would normally get arrows spined for 40#. But it is
          best to
          > try a few first and see which shoots best before you buy too many.
          Badger

        • Barry Thomason
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 5, 2003
            Here's another good source of SCA arrows. They are beautifully made
            and not that expensive.

            http://www.wholesalearrows.homestead.com/ARROWS.html

            Look at the bottom for the warrior arrows.

            Griffith Gwyn

            --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Tami" <fortunata_trb@y...> wrote:
            > Well after a year of searching and many other things going on with
            my
            > life I found a 30# recurve bow on line for 100.00. Now my problem
            is
            > finding arrows for it. I unfortunately live in a town that really
            > doesn't have sporting goods, therefore I would like to find a
            > retailer on line that would carry the wood arrows needed to target
            > shoot in the SCA. Can anyone help me with this.
            >
            > Lady Fortunata
          • Wolfshead

                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 11, 2003
                  Thank you, I have a gentleman here in town that sells archery
                  equipment plus there is a very nice SCA gentleman that is going to be
                  making me some arrows. I have earmarked the sight you recommended for
                  future referance.

                  Lady Fortunata

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/