I found a bow

  • Tami
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 4 7:25 AM
      Well after a year of searching and many other things going on with my
      life I found a 30# recurve bow on line for 100.00. Now my problem is
      finding arrows for it. I unfortunately live in a town that really
      doesn't have sporting goods, therefore I would like to find a
      retailer on line that would carry the wood arrows needed to target
      shoot in the SCA. Can anyone help me with this.

      Lady Fortunata
    • Eric & Mary Ward
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 4 8:57 AM
        >Well after a year of searching and many other things going on with my
        >life I found a 30# recurve bow on line for 100.00. Now my problem is
        >finding arrows for it. I unfortunately live in a town that really
        >doesn't have sporting goods, therefore I would like to find a
        >retailer on line that would carry the wood arrows needed to target
        >shoot in the SCA. Can anyone help me with this.
        >
        >Lady Fortunata

        There are lots of arrows available online. Try 3riversarchery.com,
        or fsdiscountarchery.com

        YIS,
        Lord Owen ap Howell
        Saethyr Fyrd
        Gryphon & Pheon
        Deputy Archer General, Artemisia
      • badger5149@aol.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 4 9:22 AM
          In a message dated 8/4/2003 8:57:38 AM Pacific Standard Time,
          ecward@... writes:

          > I unfortunately live in a town that really
          > >doesn't have sporting goods, therefore I would like to find a
          > >retailer on line that would carry the wood arrows needed to target
          > >shoot in the SCA. Can anyone help me with this.
          > >
          > >Lady Fortunata

          Lady, Have you tried E-bay, I just bought 32 wood arrow $32.00, they are
          used. There are several guys on e-bay who make and sell very nice homemade arrows
          at good prices also. I make my own arrow very economicaly but the original set
          up for fletching jigs and such can be a little expensive. Find out what
          spined arrow you will need before you buy any, If i was shooting a 30" arrow out of
          a 30# recurve I would normally get arrows spined for 40#. But it is best to
          try a few first and see which shoots best before you buy too many. Badger

        • Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 4 10:12 AM
            Greetings to all who shoot bows...
            I shoot yumi, and to further expand my understanding of the
            weapon, I have donned yoroi (ancient Japanese armor) Kabuto
            (the samurai helmet) and all of the associated gear.
            I have been making my own makiwara ya (practice arrows) to
            shoot at a bow length into a straw target...
            For fear of breaking traditional bamboo ya, I have been making
            similar sized arrows of north american poplar...
            Some of these break as they enter the target.
            I upgraded to a slightly larger diam. poplar...and these seem to
            do better, for these practice sessions...but I am concerned that it
            might lead to learned "bad" habbits...especially when I am
            shooting at proper ranges, or at long distance ranges.
            I fletch with natural turkey feathers...(not period for Japan, but I
            like the look and feel of them...kinda' like hawk...)
            The ya fly straight, but are different from the bamboo ya...

            Could there be a difference in how the way the arrows bend
            around the bow, even at such short distance? My instincts tell
            me yes...

            My major question, I suppose, is ...

            "Are there other american hardwoods that will replicate the
            mechanics and physics of proper bamboo, with more availibility,
            and less cost...?"
            <please pardon the spelling...>

            The wonderful bowyer, "Yumi"<name> made my first yumi, and I
            look forward to stronger bows from him...but I want to fully
            understand the bow I have...
            I will see Yumi this Pennsic, and will pluck his brains...but I
            wonder if Karl, or Klause(Marco) or anyone else has any
            insight...
            I am really trying to understand how the dedicated Japanese
            archer in period times might have handled this kind of question...
            Respectfully...

            Date Saburou Yukiie
            Yama Kaminari Ryu

            Shi wa hei to de aru - all are equal in the grave...

            http://www.kabutographics.com
            kabuto@...
          • Carolus Eulenhorst
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 4 10:33 AM
              I'd recommend avoiding FS Discount for arrows as they do not match their
              shafts well and their quality control leaves much to be desired. I've
              seen some good arrows from them but I've seen many more poorly made sets.

              In service to the dream
              Carolus von Eulenhorst
              eulenhorst@...

              On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 09:57:54 -0600 Eric & Mary Ward <ecward@...>
              writes:
              > >Well after a year of searching and many other things going on with
              > my
              > >life I found a 30# recurve bow on line for 100.00. Now my problem
              > is
              > >finding arrows for it. I unfortunately live in a town that really
              > >doesn't have sporting goods, therefore I would like to find a
              > >retailer on line that would carry the wood arrows needed to target
              > >shoot in the SCA. Can anyone help me with this.
              > >
              > >Lady Fortunata
              > >

              > There are lots of arrows available online. Try 3riversarchery.com,
              >
              > or fsdiscountarchery.com
              >
              > YIS,
              > Lord Owen ap Howell
              > Saethyr Fyrd
              > Gryphon & Pheon
              > Deputy Archer General, Artemisia

              Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
            • greytaylor@att.net
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 4 10:58 AM
                Easy, learn how to make bamboo arrows. They aren't hard, just time
                consuming. Materials are at your local garden shop, they're called 3'
                tomatoe stakes. Choose them carefully, craft them with patience, and they'll
                work just fine.

                And, yes. They do shoot differently than other more common arrow woods.

                Guy

              • greytaylor@att.net
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 4 11:02 AM
                  May I respectfully suggest to *not* use F/S Discount Archery arrows? They
                  are cheap in quality as well as price. I live close enough to them to drive
                  there within 15 minutes and I choose to get my shafts via mail order from
                  other vendors.

                  Guy

                  > There are lots of arrows available online. Try 3riversarchery.com,
                  > or fsdiscountarchery.com
                  >
                  > YIS,
                  > Lord Owen ap Howell
                  > Saethyr Fyrd
                  > Gryphon & Pheon
                  > Deputy Archer General, Artemisia
                • Marko Peussa
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 4 1:00 PM
                    There seems to be cheap bamboo target arrows at:

                    http://www.asahi-archery.co.jp/ya/P-LIST_ya.htm

                    The price for KAZU-YA is not too bad for fletched bamboo arrows. I haven't
                    got experience with these but they look like worth a try.

                    For SCA use, I make kyudo arrows from my stock of 10 mm diameter Finland
                    pine shafts. A local supplier made these shafts. They are approx. 1 meter
                    long, barely enough for my draw lenght of 96 cm. I also have some older
                    Finland birch arrows that have served well for three years. Fletching is
                    turkey feathers, wrapping is silk thread and all arrows are lightly coated
                    with vegetable oil. Silk thread is coated with clear lacquer and the nocks
                    are self-nocks. The finished arrows weight from 40 to 44 grams and spine
                    from 45 to 65 pounds. I shoot with a 27 pound bow (at my draw lenght) and
                    the arrows will fly more or less straight because of the Insai-Ha technique.
                    A fellow kyudo archer shot a few of these arrows at one training session and
                    commented that they fly like the normal aluminum ones, only that they are
                    heavier.

                    The three bamboo makiwara arrows that I have are all splitered because of
                    drying. Bamboo does not last well here in Finland, because the humidity is
                    quite low during winter. For this reason, I have not gotten more bamboo
                    arrows. Perhaps If I could make a humidor, just like for cigars? Hmm.

                    Klaus

                    > I shoot yumi, and to further expand my understanding of the
                    > weapon, I have donned yoroi (ancient Japanese armor) Kabuto
                    > (the samurai helmet) and all of the associated gear.
                    > I have been making my own makiwara ya (practice arrows) to
                    > shoot at a bow length into a straw target...
                    > For fear of breaking traditional bamboo ya, I have been making
                    > similar sized arrows of north american poplar...
                    > Some of these break as they enter the target.
                    > I upgraded to a slightly larger diam. poplar...and these seem to
                    > do better, for these practice sessions...but I am concerned that it
                    > might lead to learned "bad" habbits...especially when I am
                    > shooting at proper ranges, or at long distance ranges.
                    > I fletch with natural turkey feathers...(not period for Japan, but I
                    > like the look and feel of them...kinda' like hawk...)
                    > The ya fly straight, but are different from the bamboo ya...
                    >
                    > Could there be a difference in how the way the arrows bend
                    > around the bow, even at such short distance? My instincts tell
                    > me yes...
                    >
                    > My major question, I suppose, is ...
                    >
                    > "Are there other american hardwoods that will replicate the
                    > mechanics and physics of proper bamboo, with more availibility,
                    > and less cost...?"
                    > <please pardon the spelling...>
                    >
                    > The wonderful bowyer, "Yumi"<name> made my first yumi, and I
                    > look forward to stronger bows from him...but I want to fully
                    > understand the bow I have...
                    > I will see Yumi this Pennsic, and will pluck his brains...but I
                    > wonder if Karl, or Klause(Marco) or anyone else has any
                    > insight...
                    > I am really trying to understand how the dedicated Japanese
                    > archer in period times might have handled this kind of question...
                    > Respectfully...
                    >
                    > Date Saburou Yukiie
                    > Yama Kaminari Ryu
                    >
                    > Shi wa hei to de aru - all are equal in the grave...
                    >
                    > http://www.kabutographics.com
                    > kabuto@...

                  • Tami
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 4 7:12 PM
                      I will check into that I am definitely an e-bay shopper.

                      Lady Fortunata

                      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, badger5149@a... wrote:
                      > In a message dated 8/4/2003 8:57:38 AM Pacific Standard Time,
                      > ecward@s... writes:
                      >
                      > > I unfortunately live in a town that really
                      > > >doesn't have sporting goods, therefore I would like to find a
                      > > >retailer on line that would carry the wood arrows needed to
                      target
                      > > >shoot in the SCA. Can anyone help me with this.
                      > > >
                      > > >Lady Fortunata
                      > >

                      > Lady, Have you tried E-bay, I just bought 32 wood arrow $32.00,
                      they are
                      > used. There are several guys on e-bay who make and sell very nice
                      homemade arrows
                      > at good prices also. I make my own arrow very economicaly but the
                      original set
                      > up for fletching jigs and such can be a little expensive. Find out
                      what
                      > spined arrow you will need before you buy any, If i was shooting a
                      30" arrow out of
                      > a 30# recurve I would normally get arrows spined for 40#. But it is
                      best to
                      > try a few first and see which shoots best before you buy too many.
                      Badger

                    • Barry Thomason
                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 5 5:55 AM
                        Here's another good source of SCA arrows. They are beautifully made
                        and not that expensive.

                        http://www.wholesalearrows.homestead.com/ARROWS.html

                        Look at the bottom for the warrior arrows.

                        Griffith Gwyn

                        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Tami" <fortunata_trb@y...> wrote:
                        > Well after a year of searching and many other things going on with
                        my
                        > life I found a 30# recurve bow on line for 100.00. Now my problem
                        is
                        > finding arrows for it. I unfortunately live in a town that really
                        > doesn't have sporting goods, therefore I would like to find a
                        > retailer on line that would carry the wood arrows needed to target
                        > shoot in the SCA. Can anyone help me with this.
                        >
                        > Lady Fortunata
                      • Wolfshead

                            Message 13 of 13 , Aug 11 7:14 AM
                              Thank you, I have a gentleman here in town that sells archery
                              equipment plus there is a very nice SCA gentleman that is going to be
                              making me some arrows. I have earmarked the sight you recommended for
                              future referance.

                              Lady Fortunata

                              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/