Re: Crossbow Prods

  • Frederick Fenters
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 24, 2003

      >Message: 9
      > Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 19:31:08 -0700 (PDT)
      > From: Juliana <swordmuffin@...>
      >Subject: question?
      >

      >Hello,
      >
      >This is a simple question but I have forgotten the answer. I was wondering
      if anyone knows what the string is that you tie the prod onto the x bow. I
      have been a string that has a lot of wax on it but when its been on the bow
      for a couple days the prod gets loose again. I'm getting a little tired of
      going outside and rapping string around a couple trees. Any good
      suggestions would be great.

      >Thanks,
      >
      >Juliana

      I believe that Master Iolo uses artificial sinew. Linen cord would be a
      period solution.

      Padraig
    • cetach_fitzgibbon
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 1, 2004
        Does anyone have a reliable supplier for fiberglass crossbow prods?

        Let me tell you all my problem and see you if can help me.

        My prod is coming apart slightly, there's a sliver of fiberglass
        peeling back from the edge of the prod where it bends. Now, I don't
        know enough about the properties of fiberglass to know what to do
        about this... can this be repaired or is my prod toast? Can I have it
        shaved down slightly? or sanded down or something so that the sliver
        is removed without effecting the integrity of the prod?

        Either way, I need a replacement prod and if I can't get a fiberlgass
        prod, I'd like a steel prod. And I really want it before Pennsic so I
        can aclimate myself to the new prod.

        Please, can anyone help?

        -Ce'tach Fitzgibbon
        Archer, Web Wizard
      • Teagus
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 9, 2004
          I guess your current supplier is "un-reliable". His prods come from
          the same supplier everyone else uses. They are in a container coming
          in fron China. If someone has inventory of your weight, I guess they
          are more reliable.

          Andrew (Pennthar) had a stroke at work last Friday morning. The right
          side of his face and speech has been severely affected and the use of
          his right arm is limited. Lots of tests & scans being done. Monday he
          is going to have spinal fluid checked. Possible blood clot from a
          recent knee surgery. Not good for someone in their ealy 30's. I do
          know that if he survives this and can finish his current run of bows
          for Pennsic, it will be a spectacular display.

          Teagus

          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "cetach_fitzgibbon"
          <cetachfitzgibbon@c...> wrote:
          > Does anyone have a reliable supplier for fiberglass crossbow prods?
          >
          > Let me tell you all my problem and see you if can help me.
          >
          > My prod is coming apart slightly, there's a sliver of fiberglass
          > peeling back from the edge of the prod where it bends. Now, I don't
          > know enough about the properties of fiberglass to know what to do
          > about this... can this be repaired or is my prod toast? Can I have
          it
          > shaved down slightly? or sanded down or something so that the
          sliver
          > is removed without effecting the integrity of the prod?
          >
          > Either way, I need a replacement prod and if I can't get a
          fiberlgass
          > prod, I'd like a steel prod. And I really want it before Pennsic so
          > can aclimate myself to the new prod.
          >
          > Please, can anyone help?
          >
          > -Ce'tach Fitzgibbon
          > Archer, Web Wizard
        • Capn Mac
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 9, 2004
            I am deeply sorry about Andrew's health. Please give him my best. I live
            with and care for a survivor of stroke and completely empathise with Andrew
            and his loved ones.

            By the way, I don't recall saying Andrew was unreliable. I asked if anyone
            had a reliable source for prods. If Andrew has a reliable source, well then
            that answers my question.

            The message you're refering to was sent out a week and a half ago, before
            I managed to reach Andrew. At the time, Andrew was not even a source, let
            alone reliable or unreliable, since I hadn't managed to reach him.

            I felt, at the time, that it was in my best interest to find as many sources
            as I could. Perhaps someone has what I need in stock or could tell me where
            I could get what I need.

            I've already recieved several helpful suggestions as to what I can do with
            the existing prod and some suggestions as to where I can get a replacement.

            However, so far only Andrew has stated he could get me a new prod, just
            that I would need to be patient. Since I need a new prod to shoot at Pennsic
            and Pennsic is only a few weeks away, I can afford to be only so patient.

            -Ce'tach

          • i_griffen
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 26, 2006
              I was talking with one of the local Archery Captains today. He told
              me that the use of Fiberglass prods is not legal. He wasn't able to
              tell me if the rule change was in the Society rules or Kingdom Rules.

              Why would anyone disallow the use of the fiberglass crossbow prod when
              in fact it is more effencent and less likley to break than steel or
              alauminn

              Iain Griffen
            • Bruce R. Gordon
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 26, 2006
                Greetings

                Um, to be as polite as possible here, this is codswallop. There is no prohibition of fibreglass prods for crossbows, never has been to my knowledge - at least in the general Society target archery regs; I suppose it's possible that some kingdom or other could have tightened that up and made a more restrictive policy than overall SCA rules allow, but I have not heard of any such instance.

                Tell your informant to check the Society TA rules (they are available as a pdf off the Society Earl Marshal page, under the archery deputy's file) and your own kingdoms rules - if your local kingdom has, in fact blocked fibreglass as a legal material, I would definitely agree that you ought to howl about it.

                Nigel, former AG Midrealm

                > I was talking with one of the local Archery Captains today. He told
                > me that the use of Fiberglass prods is not legal. He wasn't able to
                > tell me if the rule change was in the Society rules or Kingdom Rules.
                >
                > Why would anyone disallow the use of the fiberglass crossbow prod when
                > in fact it is more effencent and less likley to break than steel or
                > alauminn
                >
                > Iain Griffen

                "Do these colors match?"
                "Is this too much jewelry?"
                "Is that my drink?"

              • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 26, 2006
                  Not in the Middle Kingdom!!

                  James Cunningham

                  I was talking with one of the local Archery Captains today. He told
                  me that the use of Fiberglass prods is not legal. He wasn't able to
                  tell me if the rule change was in the Society rules or Kingdom Rules.
                • Rob Andersen
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 26, 2006
                    I am afraid that I started this fiberglass prod issue. I know that I saw
                    fiberglass prod prohibition some where in my Crossbow research. In the
                    Outlands combat archery rules it states that Fiberglass electric fence posts
                    can not be used.
                    http://outlandsmarshallate.org/CA.pdf

                    This may be were I and some others got mixed up

                    Rob Andersen
                  • Frederick Fenters
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 27, 2006
                      Brer Anderson's post makes sense. I have heard of such prohibition of
                      fiberglass fence posts being considered elsewhere. This raises the question
                      once more of where does an archery marshal's authority end regarding Combat
                      Archery? I have had a few (very few) heavy combat marshals come to me to
                      learn about bows, but most generally all they are concerned about in their
                      inspections is the goof tube and the tennis ball/Baldur Blunt/chemical
                      stopper in the end. Of course, I live in the Middle Kingdom where they
                      don't like anything to do with flying objects on the lists.

                      As I recall, the society rules specifically state that bows may be of wood,
                      fiberglass, or other materials as long as they are in good condition. That
                      includes crossbow prods by simple extension.

                      Padraig MacRaighne

                    • Siegfried
                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 27, 2006
                        A target archery marshal's authority, in regards to Combat Archery,
                        ends before it starts, at least in Atlantia. There is none. They are
                        treated as two completely separate arts.

                        Oh, and I don't think any Kingdom restricts materials on Target Prods,
                        some DO restrict materials on combat prods.

                        But, this is the Target Archery list.

                        Siegfried