Re: [SCA-Archery] An interesting idea

  • Bruce R. Gordon
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 11, 2003
      Greetings
      As long as you don't do it with any evident connection to the SCA,
      go for it. The SCA, of course, specifically and in detail forbids any
      and all projectile weapons which utilize any sort of energy other than
      the strength of one's arm (which may be enhanced by a string-and-
      stick). Corpora also specifically prohibits black powder in any form,
      and I think some kingdoms don't even allow discussion of powder as an
      abstract topic.
      So, if you're gonna do it, do it in your back yard and invite a
      few friends over. But don't advertise the demo in an SCA publication or
      at a meeting, and seven times seven don't bring it to an event - the
      marshals, autocrat, and seneschal would all have two-headed blue cows,
      sideways.

      Forester Nigel FitzMaurice, Midrealm AG

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      --
      Ex Tenebra, Lux

    • Carolus Eulenhorst
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 11, 2003
        These prohibitions are all for the combat field. Properly arranged
        demonstrations of live weapons have been done in the past and are
        allowable. We have seen black powder matchlocks and wheellocks fired as
        well as full scale siege weapons. Arrange with the marshals first, make
        sure you are not violating any site rules or laws, be sure your range is
        safe, and go for it. Of course, this is out in states like California
        which prohibit the rockets.

        In service to the dream
        Carolus von Eulenhorst
        eulenhorst@...

        On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 11:58:01 -0400 "Bruce R. Gordon" <obsidian@...>
        writes:
        > Greetings
        > As long as you don't do it with any evident connection to the
        > SCA,
        > go for it. The SCA, of course, specifically and in detail forbids
        > any
        > and all projectile weapons which utilize any sort of energy other
        > than
        > the strength of one's arm (which may be enhanced by a string-and-
        > stick). Corpora also specifically prohibits black powder in any
        > form,
        > and I think some kingdoms don't even allow discussion of powder as
        > an
        > abstract topic.
        > So, if you're gonna do it, do it in your back yard and invite a
        >
        > few friends over. But don't advertise the demo in an SCA publication
        > or
        > at a meeting, and seven times seven don't bring it to an event - the
        >
        > marshals, autocrat, and seneschal would all have two-headed blue
        > cows,
        > sideways.
        >
        > Forester Nigel FitzMaurice, Midrealm AG

        Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
      • Bob Upson
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 11, 2003
          On 11 Jul 2003 at 2:27, Fearghus Mac Lochloinn wrote:

          > such fireworks are illegal in California and a few other more
          > cautious states and was wondering if anyone had ever done

          I think that you'll find that fireworks are illegal in most states by
          now.

          Yet another set of laws to protect stupid people... =(

          YIS,
          Macsen
        • Bob Upson
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 11, 2003
            On 11 Jul 2003 at 11:12, Carolus Eulenhorst wrote:

            > safe, and go for it. Of course, this is out in states like California
            > which prohibit the rockets.

            FWIW, even model rocketry has become highly regulated post-9/11. (As
            if somebody is going to build a ground to air missile based on an
            Estes "D" motor... =)

            YIS,
            Macsen
          • Carolus Eulenhorst
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 11, 2003
              It's been done. We had choppers brought down in Nam by a model rocket,
              some fish line, and a few parts I won't mention.
              And I think it's now time to take rockets off-list.

              In service to the dream
              Carolus von Eulenhorst
              eulenhorst@...

              On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 18:12:52 -0400 "Bob Upson" <wyvern@...>
              writes:
              > On 11 Jul 2003 at 11:12, Carolus Eulenhorst wrote:
              >
              > > safe, and go for it. Of course, this is out in states like
              > California
              > > which prohibit the rockets.
              >
              > FWIW, even model rocketry has become highly regulated post-9/11.
              > (As
              > if somebody is going to build a ground to air missile based on an
              > Estes "D" motor... =)
              >
              > YIS,
              > Macsen

              Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
            • Siegfried Sebastian Faust
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 14, 2003
                > Corpora also specifically prohibits black powder in any form,
                >and I think some kingdoms don't even allow discussion of powder as an
                >abstract topic.

                Actually, as some people have said, this isn't true. I know for a fact
                (from being a Pennsic Attendee), that Midrealm doesn't allow it, and East
                Kingdom does. As the Black Powder class taught at Pennsic each year,
                allows you to shoot the firearms on 'East' years, and not on 'Mid'
                years. Meaning last year, I got to fire off a few cannons. This year, I
                won't have the chance.

                Siegfried

                THL Siegfried Sebastian Faust Baronial Web Minister & Archery Marshal
              • Siegfried Sebastian Faust
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 14, 2003
                  > > such fireworks are illegal in California and a few other more
                  > > cautious states and was wondering if anyone had ever done
                  >
                  >I think that you'll find that fireworks are illegal in most states by
                  >now.
                  >
                  >Yet another set of laws to protect stupid people... =(
                  >
                  >YIS,
                  >Macsen

                  Interestingly enough Macsen, around my parts, the laws keep relaxing. West
                  Virginia, from around at least 30 years ago (dunno how much longer before
                  that) until around 10 years ago completely banned fireworks, only to 10
                  years ago change that law to only allow 'certain classes' of
                  fireworks. (something like 'Class A')

                  Basically, meaning that as long as it doesn't 'launch projectiles into the
                  air' or 'explode', its ok. So all sorts of 'showers of sparks' and
                  spinners, and etc are legal.

                  I live in Maryland now, and some number of years ago, Maryland did the
                  exact same thing. Reversing the ban on them, and moving it to allow the
                  non-launching non-exploding ones.

                  Siegfried

                  THL Siegfried Sebastian Faust Baronial Web Minister & Archery Marshal
                • HL Agnarr Thorvaldsson
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 14, 2003
                    Here in Texas, we were able to launch all types of fireworks on this past 4th of July, (Bottlerockets, Rockets and mortars to named a few.).

                    Texas State law has always allowed the use of fireworks on any day of the year, but only on certain days of the year are fireworks allowed to be sold.
                    However I must add that local municipalities and all county judges in the state are allowed to change this law or even enact a complete ban of fireworks as conditions warrant for there area (drought, fire bans to name a few of the reasons.)

                    So this must be either a local or state law on the use or non-use of fireworks in your area.

                    HL Agnarr Thorvaldsson
                    Crossrode Keep, Ansteorra
                  • mark s graves
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 14, 2003
                      Siege weapons are fun to plays. There is nothing firing a balista and
                      knocking down a wall......William Ross of Skye

                      Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!