Archery Targets Illegal?

  • Onora inghen mic Tomais
    Message 1 of 23 , Jul 10, 2003
      I am doing up some sketches of horse mounted archers and barbarians
      and suchnot to make into targets and it dawned on me that they might
      not be legal. i had heard somewhere that photos and human likeness'
      are not permitted for target practice.... am I miss informed?
    • Bob Upson
      Message 2 of 23 , Jul 10, 2003
        On 10 Jul 2003 at 20:10, Onora inghen mic Tomais wrote:

        > not be legal. i had heard somewhere that photos and human likeness'
        > are not permitted for target practice.... am I miss informed?

        It may be a local thing, but there's certainly no SCA ban. =)

        YIS,
        Macsen
      • Steve Mason
        Message 3 of 23 , Jul 10, 2003
          I am unaware of any such rules. Heck we have advancing barbarians all the time. I say go for it.

          Lord Ragnar MacHardy, Grandmaster Bowman of the East

          Onora inghen mic Tomais <ladyodett@...> wrote:
          I am doing up some sketches of horse mounted archers and barbarians
          and suchnot to make into targets and it dawned on me that they might
          not be legal. i had heard somewhere that photos and human likeness'
          are not permitted for target practice.... am I miss informed?

          "Love Learning; All else follows"- Isaac Asimov

        • Bruce R. Gordon
          Message 4 of 23 , Jul 10, 2003
            Greetings
            That'd be a surprise - we've been using human targets (ok, ok,
            IMAGES of humans AS targets...) at Pennsic for many a year, and I've
            never heard of a problem with that. Where'd you hear that?

            Forester Nigel FitzMaurice, Midrealm AG

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            --
            Ex Tenebra, Lux

          • hanhebin
            Message 5 of 23 , Jul 10, 2003
              > I am doing up some sketches of horse mounted archers and barbarians
              > and suchnot to make into targets and it dawned on me that they
              > might not be legal. i had heard somewhere that photos and human
              > likeness' are not permitted for target practice.... am I miss
              > informed?

              The FBI sillouette used on their pistol range I believe is Dillinger
              and I've actually purchased archery targets of Bin Laden and Saddam.

              Michael
            • Greg Christensen
              Message 6 of 23 , Jul 11, 2003
                There are some areas, counties, cities, states (unknown which) where they
                are illegal. They did this to discourage training of posible killers with
                guns. Call your local police and ask them if you are not sure.

                GREGGE the ARCHER

                >From: "hanhebin" <hamberg@...>
                >To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: [SCA-Archery] Re: Archery Targets Illegal?
                >Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 05:10:21 -0000
                >
                > > I am doing up some sketches of horse mounted archers and barbarians
                > > and suchnot to make into targets and it dawned on me that they
                > > might not be legal. i had heard somewhere that photos and human
                > > likeness' are not permitted for target practice.... am I miss
                > > informed?
                >
                >The FBI sillouette used on their pistol range I believe is Dillinger
                >and I've actually purchased archery targets of Bin Laden and Saddam.
                >
                >Michael

              • Matt Hemmer
                Message 7 of 23 , Jul 11, 2003
                  Onora,

                  As a former peace officer (Colorado) and law enforcement agent (Fed)
                  I can reliably tell you that if it is illegal; it's either only in your
                  state, or your municipality, as I've trained for years shooting human
                  silouettes as a cop, agent, and soldier. Further, we regularly use human
                  silouettes for archer duels in Denver, Co. and can even buy them at various
                  cop shops" (police/security supply stores). Check your local codes (ask a
                  cop, he/she should know) but be assured that there is no Federal law against
                  it (it would fall under the baliwick of the ATF). Hope this helps.....

                  YIS,
                  Fionn

                  Message 8 of 23 , Jul 11, 2003
                    LOL, thank you.. I am a canuck..( Alberta to be precise ) and well..
                    our government is a little more anal about the gun/weapon issues.
                    Thank you though, I never would have thought of contacting the City
                    Police for City bylaws and such.
                    DOn't think it would be an issue.. but would hate to blunder into
                    something and stir up a hornets nest.

                    Onora

                    --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Hemmer" <captmac382@h...>
                    wrote:
                    > Onora,
                    >
                    > As a former peace officer (Colorado) and law enforcement
                    agent (Fed)
                    > I can reliably tell you that if it is illegal; it's either only
                    in your
                    > state, or your municipality, as I've trained for years shooting
                    human
                    > silouettes as a cop, agent, and soldier. Further, we regularly use
                    human
                    > silouettes for archer duels in Denver, Co. and can even buy them
                    at various
                    > cop shops" (police/security supply stores). Check your local codes
                    (ask a
                    > cop, he/she should know) but be assured that there is no Federal
                    law against
                    > it (it would fall under the baliwick of the ATF). Hope this
                    helps.....

                    > YIS,
                    > Fionn

                  • Robert Lauderdale
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jul 11, 2003
                      you wrote:

                      >Lord Ragnar MacHardy, Grandmaster Bowman of the East
                      >
                      >Onora inghen mic Tomais <ladyodett@...> wrote:
                      >I am doing up some sketches of horse mounted archers and barbarians
                      >and suchnot to make into targets and it dawned on me that they might
                      >not be legal. i had heard somewhere that photos and human likeness'
                      >are not permitted for target practice.... am I miss informed?

                      The only place I've seen this rule is at the local Renaissance Festival.

                      Chidiock the Younger
                      Calontir
                    • Bob Upson
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jul 11, 2003
                        On 11 Jul 2003 at 7:49, Greg Christensen wrote:

                        > There are some areas, counties, cities, states (unknown which) where they
                        > are illegal. They did this to discourage training of posible killers with
                        > guns. Call your local police and ask them if you are not sure.

                        Just be sure to get a citation of any supposed rules. Policeman
                        aren't always above saying something is "illegal" when it is. =>

                        YIS,
                        Macsen
                      • hanhebin
                        Message 11 of 23 , Jul 11, 2003
                          >> There are some areas, counties, cities, states (unknown which)
                          >> where they are illegal. They did this to discourage training of
                          >> posible killers with guns. Call your local police and ask them if
                          >> you are not sure.

                          > Just be sure to get a citation of any supposed rules. Policeman
                          > aren't always above saying something is "illegal" when it is. =>

                          Let's bring this discussion to reality. They don't prosecute many
                          laws that are presently on the books and I doubt that anything would
                          come of shooting any kind of paper / cardboard target you wish.
                          There is simply too much case law on the books that no DA would waste
                          the resources because they know they would lose on appeal.

                          Michael
                        • Erasmus Urswyc
                          Message 12 of 23 , Jul 11, 2003
                            I agree with the argumnt here, I am a handgun shooter and i know its illegal to use human sillouette targets .... but you can buy them at the range if you know the people there. I don't think anyone is going to care if you use them or not.

                            hanhebin <hamberg@...> wrote:>> There are some areas, counties, cities, states (unknown which)
                            >> where they are illegal. They did this to discourage training of
                            >> posible killers with guns. Call your local police and ask them if
                            >> you are not sure.

                            > Just be sure to get a citation of any supposed rules. Policeman
                            > aren't always above saying something is "illegal" when it is. =>

                            Let's bring this discussion to reality. They don't prosecute many
                            laws that are presently on the books and I doubt that anything would
                            come of shooting any kind of paper / cardboard target you wish.
                            There is simply too much case law on the books that no DA would waste
                            the resources because they know they would lose on appeal.

                            Michael

                          • James C. Wolf
                            Message 13 of 23 , Jul 12, 2003
                              The archery range we have indoor/winter practice at won't let us use man
                              shaped targets for insurance reasons, outdoors in the park/summer
                              practice they're ok tho.
                              Felix G., Boga Fyrd

                              Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
                            • Bob Upson
                              Message 14 of 23 , Jul 13, 2003
                                On 11 Jul 2003 at 23:05, Erasmus Urswyc wrote:

                                > I agree with the argumnt here, I am a handgun shooter and i know
                                > its illegal to use human sillouette targets .... but you can buy

                                Again, this is a local issue. It's certainly not an issue where I
                                live. There are target ranges that don't allow shooting silhouettes*
                                but it isn't illegal per se.

                                *(More for PR reasons than anything else, I suspect.)

                                YIS,
                                Macsen
                              • hanhebin
                                Message 15 of 23 , Jul 13, 2003
                                  > *(More for PR reasons than anything else, I suspect.)

                                  Agreed!

                                  Back to the original point. Can you imagine the trial of several
                                  archers getting ticketed for shooting a cardboard cutout of a mounted
                                  knight as I still remember the media attention that juror got a few
                                  years back because she insisted on wearing a Star Trek uniform. The
                                  media would have a field day with this one as the case would
                                  definitely draw national attention. I can't imagine a single juror
                                  voting guilty or single person in the courtroom having a straight
                                  face.

                                  Then again, it might just be worth a $50 fine because you would
                                  probably get on the "Tonight Show" or "Larry King Live." Definitely
                                  would get your 15 minutes of fame.

                                  Michael
                                • Fearghus Mac Lochloinn
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jul 13, 2003
                                    --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Erasmus Urswyc
                                    <erasmus_urswyc@y...> wrote:
                                    > I agree with the argumnt here, I am a handgun shooter and i know
                                    its illegal to use human sillouette targets .... but you can buy them
                                    at the range if you know the people there. I don't think anyone is
                                    going to care if you use them or not.

                                    You must not live in the finr Peoples Republik of Kaliphornya, when I
                                    go shooting a hand gun or rifle or shotgun I can pretty much put up
                                    any target I darn well please. Just so long as it is not to
                                    distracing to the other shooters :)

                                    YIS and in Good Humor Fearghus
                                  • roguenad2000
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Jul 14, 2003
                                      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Robert Lauderdale
                                      <chidiock@a...> wrote:

                                      > The only place I've seen this rule is at the local
                                      > Renaissance Festival.

                                      Must be your local festival. Most of the Ones I have been doing
                                      (Corona, Econdido, Las Vegas) the Folks from the archers Of
                                      Ravenwood seem to almost always have a target or two that look like
                                      people.

                                      Nad
                                    • jameswolfden
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Jul 14, 2003
                                        If you are still concerned, you could try to do what I did for our
                                        local barony championship shoot.

                                        I made up some dummies out of burlap (stuffed with poly). For
                                        the heads, I started with 1/2 a pool noodle and then wrapped it
                                        in strips of a cut-up blue camping foam to get it to look more like
                                        a head. However, in this case the organizer specifically
                                        requested that she wanted Orcs or some other monster. We
                                        added big pointy ears and finished the head with green crepe
                                        paper mache. It's still human shaped but, for those that would
                                        feel wrong shooting at a human being or, more importantly, for
                                        those watching who might feel it is wrong, the fact it is monster
                                        takes the edge off. I understand for many in the SCA, you will get
                                        archers that are more squeamish about shooting a 3-D deer
                                        than a knight bearing down on them.

                                        For the period police, the original text of Beowulf makes
                                        reference to an evil creature called orcneas.

                                        The following tip to those wishing to reconstruct. If you buy burlap
                                        in the gardening or landscaping department at Home Depot, it
                                        will be a lot cheaper than buying burlap at a fabric store. If you
                                        don't have enough plastic bags at home, pick up the large roll of
                                        poly while you are there.

                                        James Wolfden
                                      • Bob Upson
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Jul 14, 2003
                                          On 14 Jul 2003 at 15:41, jameswolfden wrote:

                                          > a head. However, in this case the organizer specifically
                                          > requested that she wanted Orcs or some other monster. We

                                          Oooo! A D&D fantasy event... *gak* =>

                                          > added big pointy ears and finished the head with green crepe
                                          > paper mache. It's still human shaped but, for those that would
                                          > feel wrong shooting at a human being or, more importantly, for
                                          > those watching who might feel it is wrong, the fact it is monster
                                          > takes the edge off. I understand for many in the SCA, you will get

                                          As impressive a bit of sophistry and roundabout apologetics as I've
                                          ever heard... Not to pick on you personally, but I think that people
                                          who feel so strongly about shooting at a "human" target should just
                                          forego shooting rather than forcing event organizers to bend to their
                                          silly hang-ups...

                                          We're allegedly doing medieval re-creation & recreation to *some*
                                          degree in the SCA and that doesn't mean shooting at "orcs" anymore
                                          than it means shooting at mass printed FITA targets.

                                          > archers that are more squeamish about shooting a 3-D deer
                                          > than a knight bearing down on them.

                                          Yup. These are people who need to find something else to do.

                                          > For the period police, the original text of Beowulf makes
                                          > reference to an evil creature called orcneas.

                                          Erm. So? Tolkien and Gary Gygax both drew heavily on mythology when
                                          creating their epic works of fiction but that doesn't make those
                                          myths any less fantastic.

                                          YIS,
                                          Macsen
                                        • Talmon Parker
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Jul 14, 2003
                                            I,m sure that there wern't very many archers in the mid ages who were
                                            against shooting at men liknesses {targets or real} if that was what was
                                            called for at the time.
                                            For goodness sake, you aren't killing anything here, Loosen up and enjoy
                                            life. It's getting shorter all
                                            the time.

                                            Baron Talmon
                                            Lousy archer who shoots
                                            targets

                                            DER BARON

                                          • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Jul 14, 2003
                                              Let's see,people get dressed in armor and beat the crap out of each
                                              other one-on-one or in melee with heavy sticks or poles meant to
                                              represent swords, polearms, maces and axes. They get in their fanciest
                                              frilliest puffy sleeved shirts and doublets and try to skewer each other
                                              with rapiers and daggers, or they go out into the field dressed in armor
                                              (lght or heavy) and shoot actual projectiles from a bow at armored
                                              fighters .....and yet...there seems to be a problem in some people's
                                              eyes with the notion that archers are shooting at inanimate 2
                                              dimensional or even 3 dimensional targets made to represent a human. The
                                              lunatics are running the asylum!
                                              My business partner and best friend was a pistol instructor for
                                              Nassau County Police(NY) and also was a peace officer. For a short time
                                              I served with him on his crew. We ONLY used human shaped silhouette
                                              targets for qualifying at the range. We also had human representation
                                              targets that had features (yes It did look like John Dillenger).
                                              About 8 years ago I was the range officer at a shooting range here
                                              on Long Island. We sold human silhouette targets all of the time and
                                              they were used quite regularly. The owner of the range facility was a
                                              retired Suffolk County Lt. of Detectives.
                                              When a person purchases a pistol for protection in their home, what
                                              exactly do you think that they might be shooting at should the situation
                                              ever arise? I would want to make sure that the home-owner, gun-owner was
                                              very proficient in using that weapon and hitting what and where they
                                              were aiming at.
                                              If this concept is apalling to you...well welcome to the REAL
                                              world. People can be nasty, frightened, violent, evil, sad as well as
                                              happy, caring, loving and honorable. Sticking your head in the sand and
                                              pretending it doesn't exist won't make it go away. The middle ages was a
                                              brutal and violent time. Shooting at people with a bow and arrow was one
                                              of the more benevolent ways that they injured each other .
                                              I know of no law HERE that prohibits shooting at a human shaped
                                              silhouette target or one that is made to look like a "generic" human.
                                              Now...if you are shooting at a target that is made to represent an
                                              elected official, especially the president, then you could be in some
                                              trouble.
                                              I'm not sure about California, I guess the only human shaped
                                              targets you can shoot at there are other travellers on the freeway. :P
                                              -Geoffrei

                                            • jameswolfden
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Jul 14, 2003
                                                --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Upson"
                                                <wyvern@m...> wrote:
                                                > On 14 Jul 2003 at 15:41, jameswolfden wrote:
                                                >

                                                > As impressive a bit of sophistry and roundabout apologetics
                                                as I've
                                                > ever heard... Not to pick on you personally, but I think that
                                                people
                                                > who feel so strongly about shooting at a "human" target should
                                                just
                                                > forego shooting rather than forcing event organizers to bend to
                                                their
                                                > silly hang-ups...
                                                >
                                                > We're allegedly doing medieval re-creation & recreation to
                                                *some*
                                                > degree in the SCA and that doesn't mean shooting at "orcs"
                                                anymore
                                                > than it means shooting at mass printed FITA targets.

                                                No problem. It was an enjoyable shoot but I understand where
                                                you are coming from. It would have been actually easier to
                                                change the head to a simple barrel helm. (Don't have to try to
                                                make a nose and ears. ) But, yes, in this case, the shoot
                                                organizer was wanting to do something based on LOTR. The
                                                next time they will be used, they will be modified to be viking
                                                raiders. The design allowed for modification.

                                                > > archers that are more squeamish about shooting a 3-D deer
                                                > > than a knight bearing down on them.
                                                >
                                                > Yup. These are people who need to find something else to do.

                                                The double standard just amuses me.

                                                > > For the period police, the original text of Beowulf makes
                                                > > reference to an evil creature called orcneas.
                                                >
                                                > Erm. So? Tolkien and Gary Gygax both drew heavily on
                                                mythology when
                                                > creating their epic works of fiction but that doesn't make those
                                                > myths any less fantastic.

                                                So? So nothing! That's the only defense I had. If you are not
                                                going to buy it the first time, restating it isn't going to change your
                                                mind. If I could proved that in period, they shoot at mythological
                                                targets, then I would have something. But I can't and I don't.

                                                IMHO, I think some myths are not always based on the fantastic.
                                                In some cases, it is the demonization of your enemy. Changing
                                                them from human beings defending their land to savage
                                                snarling soulless beasts - more wild than civilized.

                                                James
                                              • hanhebin
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Jul 14, 2003
                                                  > The lunatics are running the asylum!

                                                  Don't really think so here as I have yet to hear of a single person
                                                  cited for shooting a human-like target nor can I find any referencing
                                                  citing such a law or ordinance (LEXUS/NEXUS). Me thinkest this is
                                                  nothing more than urban legend.

                                                  Michael