Re: tool to unfletch arrows?

  • jameswolfden
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 25, 2003
      Yes, I first heard of it in the Primitive Archer forums. I included it
      for amusement sakes since Sol was using a microwave to
      remove the fletching from cutoff dead arrows. In my initial reply I
      did recommend that a conventional oven be used first and Sol
      has reported back that it worked. The key element is heat. The
      heat breaks down the glue. You just need to do it in a way that
      doesn't turn your arrow into a flaming arrow. It can be supplied
      with an oven, a microwave, a barbeque, or a heatbox.

      I really did not think too many people would be drilling holes in
      their microwave to remove their fletches so I didn't feel it was
      necessary to put any warnings. I sort of figured common sense
      would take care of that.

      If I was to pass on safety tips on working with wood, I would
      emphasize to use a dust mask. The wood shavings and dust
      can cause very serious problems. Scraping away on the belly of
      bow will produce some very fine particles that you don't want to
      breathe in. And, yes, many woods are carcingenic. Unfortunately,
      this risk is not as well known as the potential hazards of
      microwaves.

      James Wolfden

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Guy Taylor" <