[Fwd: [Aten-Archery] Fwd: CLARIFICATION: Waivers NOT required for Target Archery]

  • John Edgerton
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 24, 2003
      Forwarded from the Atenvelt archery list.

      Jon *************************************8

      This is important information

      Subject: CLARIFICATION: Waivers NOT required for Target Archery
      Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 09:14:27 -0500

      Greetings Everyone!
      Several people have contacted me asking about postings that have appeared on
      Baronial Mail Lists stating that Waivers need not be signed to participate
      in Target Archery Practices. I sent the question to Meg Baron, President of
      the SCA, and here is her response:

      >Yes, it is in fact true that target archery does not require waivers. This
      >was a Board decision at the April 1997 meeting. The reasoning is this:
      >waivers are required if the target is a person. Therefore, target archery
      >does not require waivers, but armored combat, rapier, combat archery -
      where
      >you are striking or firing at people - all do. Yes, the reason we require
      >waivers is liability. I wasn't around for the Board's decision (before my
      >Corporate time), but I suspect the liability was considered acceptably low
      >for target archery compared to stick-swinging.
      >
      >The Board is discussing this matter even as we speak. Once the dust
      settles
      >in that discussion, I will post a further clarification to
      >announcements@.... (Encourage people to sign up for this email list so
      >they get the word from the horse's mouth!)
      >
      >Sincere regards,
      >Meg

      get the most up-to-date information about BOD decisions emailed directly to
      you, visit http://www.sca.org/mailman/listinfo/announcements or send an
      email message with 'help' in the subject or message body to
      announcements-request@....

      I remain in Service to the Crown and Kingdom of Atenveldt,

      Duchess Katerina O'Callaghan, Pel
      Kingdom Seneschal

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
      <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705066488:HM/A=1564415/R=0/SIG=11t6t7kdo/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60164784&partid=3170658>