Carolingian Archery and Thrown Weapons Championships - July 12

  • Elizabeth Lear
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 20, 2003
      All gentles are invited to attend the Archery and Thrown Weapons
      Championships of the Barony of Carolingia on Saturday, July 12th,
      2003, on the Town Fields of Bedford, MA. The rain date is Sunday,
      July 13th. There is no cost to attend, but we do request that people
      check in with the Gate, and we will be accepting donations at the
      event to help cover the costs of targets and other tournament
      operating expenses. Reservations are not being taken in advance.

      Set-up will begin at 7:30am, and the site will open at 9am and close
      at 6pm. Assistance in setting up and breaking down the ranges is
      always welcome, and gentles arriving before 9am or remaining after 6pm
      are assumed to have volunteered. In addition, all marshals willing to
      assist in executing the tourneys should contact either Peter or Brokk
      (info below).

      Tourney sign-up will begin at 9:00am at the Gate. Inspection and
      warm-ups will begin at 10am, and the tourneys will begin promptly at
      10:30am. The archery tourney and the thrown weapons tourney will be
      held concurrently until the fields have been narrowed to two or four
      contestants. Weapons throwers may compete using loaner equipment
      provided at the event. The finals for each event will be held
      individually so that all may enjoy them. A brief Baronial Court will
      be held after the finals of the events to invest the champions.

      There is no age limit for participation. All are welcome to compete
      in the tourneys provided they have attended at least one SCA practice
      for the tourney art in question prior to the championship. While we
      welcome less experienced people and want very much to have as many
      people as possible join in the fun, we are unfortunately unable to
      provide instruction or a newcomer's range at this event prior to the
      Championships. If time allows, there will be instruction after the
      finals. Archery loaner equipment may or may not be available.

      No food will be provided at the event. Please ensure you have
      provisions with you, or make plans to obtain food from a Bedford-area
      merchant. On the way to the site from the highway, you will pass
      Denny's, McDonald's, Friendly's, Stop & Shop, Papa Gino's, Dunkin
      Donuts, CVS, and Boston Market. Restrooms are in the yellow Town
      Center building adjacent to the site. There is ample parking near the
      fields, near the library, and near the high school. Additional
      parking is available on the other side of Town Hall. There is a
      playground and skate park next to the fields, but *there will be no
      supervision provided for the playground or skate park.*

      Below is the champion's agreement, which anyone considering competing
      for champion should read and consider. Persons from out-of-barony and
      those who are not interested in becoming champion are still more than
      welcome to participate in our contests, to the make them all the more
      challenging and enjoyable. Prizes will be given for the best
      out-of-barony contestant, as well as the champion.

      Directions: Find your best route to Rt 95/128. Take exit 31B,
      Bedford/Rts 4 & 225. Continue towards Great Road, Bedford, and
      proceed approximately 2.8 miles, passing through 6 traffic lights, and
      take a left on Mudge Way. You are approaching Mudge Way when you pass
      the Bedford Common on your left and head up the hill. Mudge Way is
      not well marked, so look for a large white wooden sign on the left
      listing Town Hall, Police, Town Center, etc, on the corner of Mudge
      and Great Road. If you reach the split for Rts 64 and 4, you have
      gone a block too far. On Saturday there is public transportation -
      Bus 62 from Alwife to Bedford Common.

      Questions regarding the event itself should be addressed to Yelizaveta
      Medvedeva (Elizabeth Lear, 781-899-9468 or yeliz@...).
      Questions regarding the archery portion should be addressed to Peter
      the Red (Peter Carmichael) at pcarmichael@..., (978)287-0808,
      and questions regarding the thrown weapons portion should be addressed
      to Brokk Jarlsson (Fred Kutz) at brokk@..., (781) 893-8712.

      CHAMPION'S AGREEMENT

      1. I consider myself to be a Carolingian, hold no office or position
      in any other barony or shire that divides my loyalties as a
      champion of Carolingia, and actively participate in Carolingian
      activities.

      2. It is understood that I may have personal fealty to individuals and
      to the crowns of the East in addition to my loyalties to
      Carolingia, and that I will resolve any potential conflicts of
      these fealties in a way consistent with my personal honor.

      3. During my term I have the duty to defend and serve the Baron and
      the Barony of Carolingia, which I will do to the best of my
      ability.

      4. I will make every effort to attend Carolingian court and to
      represent Carolingia on state occasions. I will try to participate
      in as many Carolingian Events as possible.

      5. I will fight for the glory and honor of Carolingia whenever
      possible and will serve Carolingia against her foes in times of
      war.

      6. I will strive to be an example of courtesy and chivalry, bringing
      honor to Carolingia through my actions on the field and my behavior
      towards others both on and off the field.

      7. It is my duty to organize the format of the competition for my
      replacement, and to ensure that it takes place about one year after
      my selection.

      8. I will bear the trust of Carolingia, and any champions regalia with
      pride, and will conclude my service well.

      (end)

      --
      Please allow up to 3 weeks for delivery.