  • Frederick Fenters
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 6, 2003
      I agree with what my brothers have already stated. I would suggest that
      before you go for the self-nocked arrows, you spend a little bit of time
      with modern nocked shafts, just so there is not so great an investment
      in time and money. This allows you to experiment a bit more before
      making final decisions on your "permanent" shafting. Why the quotes?
      An arrow's purpose in this universe is to fly and die - either by
      hitting the target too many times, missing and becoming lost, or being
      shot by another arrow.

      I applaud your decision to join our sport and to do so with period style
      equipment. Let us know where you are located (SCA and Mundane is nice),
      so we can help you hook up with people local to you.

      Go for the Gold!

      Padraig MacRaighne
    • James ap Llywelyn
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 6, 2003
        I am in Atlantia, the D.C. area, and attend sunday archery practice
        at the park in rock creek. I agree with your assessment of an arrow's
        life expectancy, and actually dont mind making them to break them. I
        have fletched quite a few now with the other archers of my house,
        including some swell 18inch tiny things for my son's 8# hickory
        longbow. His has an arrow shelf, made special to help keep the arrow
        in it, just to give him a little bit of help. He fancies himself
        the "Scorpion King" in the climactic final battle with every shot,
        and often stops shooting entirely if he hits his mark to brag and
        dance. "Look at how good that shot was, man, I am a great archer!"

        I have a dozen arrows half fletched, I just need to remember what I
        did with the darn bag of barred feathers now!
        James

        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Frederick Fenters <padraig@c...>
        wrote:
        > I agree with what my brothers have already stated. I would suggest
        that
        > before you go for the self-nocked arrows, you spend a little bit of
        time
        > with modern nocked shafts, just so there is not so great an
        investment
        > in time and money. This allows you to experiment a bit more before
        > making final decisions on your "permanent" shafting. Why the
        quotes?
        > An arrow's purpose in this universe is to fly and die - either by
        > hitting the target too many times, missing and becoming lost, or
        being
        > shot by another arrow.
        >
        > I applaud your decision to join our sport and to do so with period
        style
        > equipment. Let us know where you are located (SCA and Mundane is
        nice),
        > so we can help you hook up with people local to you.
        >
        > Go for the Gold!
        >
        > Padraig MacRaighne
      • Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 6, 2003
          Greetings to all who enjoy shooting yumi...

          I know this may sound like an odd request, but I am working on a
          personal art project that I would like to turn into an informational
          website showing kyudo, in all of its aspects - including how yumi are
          shot in SCA functions...

          I would like to portray different group's styles, the dojo they shoot
          in, the clothing they wear, (SCA or period clothing, as well as
          traditional keikogi), the makiwara and equipment used - everything.

          I would also like to feature small articals written by those who
          practice various forms, as a general educational benifit.

          As an artist and an illustrator, I would also like to turn some of
          this information into artwork, to display on the site. I have been
          working on many pieces along those lines.

          If any of you have any photos, either personal, or from the dojo you
          shoot in (or even from back yard "self" practice that you would like
          to contribute, I would greatly appreciate it. If you would like to
          pass this information to anyone you know who shoot yumi, I would like
          that also. Full credits will be given for photos/drawings (etc) that
          are submitted.

          I would like to build a different style of kyudo website, and I need
          many people's help to do it.

          I have a "mail to" button on my website, or I can be reached at the
          following...

          Christopher Wright
          (Date no Saburou Yukiie)
          3202 West Bell Road #2140
          Phoenix, Arizona, USA 85053

          Kabuto@c...
          samuraisquire@n...

          Domo arigato gosaiimashita, tomodachi.
          - Date

          Shi wa hei to de aru - all are equal in the grave
          http://www.kabutographics.com
        • Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 6, 2003
            <embarrassed> Sorry...last post was incomplete with e-mail
            addresses...<end embarrassed>

            samuraisquire@...
            Domo arigato gosaiimashita, tomodachi.
            - Date

            Shi wa hei to de aru - all are equal in the grave
            http://www.kabutographics.com
          • Chad Wilson
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 6, 2003
              --- Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie <kabuto@...> wrote:
              > Greetings to all who enjoy shooting yumi...

              I heard that Yumi was a nice guy. Why would anyone want shoot at him?

              *sly grin*

              -Caedmon

              http://calendar.yahoo.com
            • Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 6, 2003
                Yumi is a nice guy...his mustache arrow deflection tool is quite
                effective - he has not been hit yet!

                Sly grin back...

                - Date

                > I heard that Yumi was a nice guy. Why would anyone want shoot at him?
                >
                > *sly grin*
                >
                > -Caedmon
              • Ian Griffen

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 6, 2003
                    Ian,
                    Greeting to you...no, I have not yet moved to Phoenix...I am still in
                    Ohio, but will be there shortly, within a few weeks.
                    I will look forward to both stickfighting, and shooting when I get
                    there, but I have not done so yet in those lands...I have already
                    scoped out the web presence, and maps and such...so I can dive right in...

                    Are you from those parts?

                    - Date

                    --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Ian Griffen

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 7, 2003
                      I live in the barony of Twin Moons. It is the third barony of the Metro Phoenix area.

                      Currently I am also the Drop dead Deputy to the Royal Archer (Archer General).

                      Ian Griffen

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 7, 2003
                        Ian Griffen,
                        Then I look forward to meeting you when I come out. I will be staying
                        on West Bell Road, zip code 85053, so I don't know where that will
                        place me, but I will surely get around.
                        Hope you folks can put up with a Japanese persona!

                        <ian_griffen_archer@y...> wrote:
                        > I live in the barony of Twin Moons. It is the third barony of the
                        Metro Phoenix area.

                        > Currently I am also the Drop dead Deputy to the Royal Archer (Archer
                        General).

                        > Ian Griffen

                      • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 9, 2003
                          SEE: http://www.kolumbus.fi/fikyfe/kyudo/index.html

                          If this does not work let me know. I have more... Koran and Chinese as well.

                          James Cunningham

                          Subject: [SCA-Archery] Yumi related project