Re: [SCA-Archery] Fletching

  • Kimberly
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 3, 2003
      no coloring...
      Kim

      --- Carolus Eulenhorst <eulenhorst@...> wrote:
      > Does it have a colored finish on the shaft under the
      > fletching? If so it
      > is dipped, if not it probably is simply sealed.
      >
      > In service to the dream
      > Carolus von Eulenhorst
      > eulenhorst@...
      >
      > On Tue, 3 Jun 2003 10:53:17 -0700 (PDT) Kimberly
      > <breenasmom@...>
      > writes:
      > > i really have no idea.... is there anyway you can
      > tell
      > > by looking at it?
      > > Kim

      > The best thing to hit the internet in years - Juno
      > SpeedBand!
      > Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
      > Only $14.95/ month - visit www.juno.com to sign up
      > today!

      > Brought to you YahooGroups Ad Free in 2002 by
      > Medieval Mart
      > Get Medieval at Mad Macsen's
      > http://www.medievalmart.com/

      > leave this list]
      >

      > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
      > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      http://calendar.yahoo.com
    • James W. Pratt, Jr.
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 3, 2003
        Put some extra glue along the fletchings. Are the fletching coming off at
        the glue line or are the spines still glued down? Is the glue staying with
        the feather or with the arrow?

        James Cunningham
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 4, 2003
          the feather itself is peeling off... the glue is
          staying with the fletching
          Kim

          --- "James W. Pratt, Jr." <cunning@...> wrote:
          > Put some extra glue along the fletchings. Are the
          > fletching coming off at
          > the glue line or are the spines still glued down?
          > Is the glue staying with
          > the feather or with the arrow?
          >
          > James Cunningham

        • Carolus Eulenhorst
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 4, 2003
            It sounds like the glue that was used isn't adhering to the sealant on
            the shaft. I would try Fletch-Tite in this case as it sticks better than
            Duco or the other cellulose based glues. Make sure you clean the shaft
            under the fletching with a piece of clean, thin cloth and alcohol before
            gluing.

            In service to the dream
            Carolus von Eulenhorst
            eulenhorst@...

            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 4, 2003
              Like the others have said...it is an incompatability between the glue and
              the finish of the arrow. Any oil finish is hard to glue to. Tung oil when
              dry is also very hard to get the feathers to stay put. A crown dip of paint
              prior to putting on the feathers can solve some of the problems. We have
              just tried the crown tape(used in place of crown dipping) and the glue seems
              to be holding so far. You may have to sand the areas where the feathers go
              to get a good bond you can also tie the feathers on...the period solution
              for poor glue.

              James Cunningham
            • Kimberly
              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 5, 2003
                Hi,
                I found this website and I'm wondering how correct it
                is.
                http://www.users.nac.net/rfd/eoa/index.html Thanks!
                Kim

                http://calendar.yahoo.com
              • jameswolfden
                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 5, 2003
                  --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Kimberly <breenasmom@y...> wrote:
                  > Hi,
                  > I found this website and I'm wondering how correct it
                  > is.
                  > http://www.users.nac.net/rfd/eoa/index.html Thanks!
                  > Kim

                  Is there something specific on the site that you are wondering about?

                  It is a nice book that covers a time before compounds and where
                  fibreglass was just coming into its own. I have used the drawings in
                  the book as a reference for working on my bows. But I have also used
                  other sources as information.

                  The author does dismiss some woods like ash and hickory as being
                  inferior woods to only use when nothing else is available. While most
                  bowyers would still consider osage and yew as the two best bow woods,
                  most feel that you can make a very good bow out of many of the white
                  hardwoods like ash and hickory. He shows his error with the
                  criticism "They produce bows that shoot fairly well in the beginning,
                  but they soon lose cast and become flabby and weak. When they dry out
                  thoroughly they become brittle and break." White wood is seasoned
                  differently then osage and yew but I don't think that he has seasoned
                  the white wood at all.

                  It is a little skimpy on the details of tillering or working down to
                  a back ring. A bow is seldom made by following a specific formula.
                  The magic and fun is all in that tillering stage. The Traditional
                  Bowyer's Bible volume 1 covers this fairly well.

                  The care and handling section is good and still applies.

                  A quick glance at the arrow section looks okay but your range
                  marshall may be a bit concerned if you are reducing the weight of
                  your heavier arrows by scraping wood from it. She/he might prefer you
                  increased the weight of your light arrows with extra coats of finish.

                  James Wolfden
                • Kinjal of Moravia
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 5, 2003
                    --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "jameswolfden"
                    <jameswolfden@y...> wrote:
                    > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Kimberly <breenasmom@y...>
                    wrote:
                    > > Hi,
                    > > I found this website and I'm wondering how correct it
                    > > is.
                    > > http://www.users.nac.net/rfd/eoa/index.html Thanks!
                    > > Kim
                    >

                    >> James Wolfden

                    My research has indicated that pear wood was widely used on early
                    recurves, with sinew inserts and horn grasp. My horsebow is made of
                    such, without the horn, but you can buy one. It is wrapped in
                    pigskin -- the siyahs are alder.

                    Kinjal