Re: [SCA-Archery] Fletching

  • Carolus Eulenhorst
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 3, 2003
      Does it have a colored finish on the shaft under the fletching? If so it
      is dipped, if not it probably is simply sealed.

      In service to the dream
      Carolus von Eulenhorst
      eulenhorst@...

      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 3, 2003
        no coloring...
        Kim

        --- Carolus Eulenhorst <eulenhorst@...> wrote:
        > Does it have a colored finish on the shaft under the
        > fletching? If so it
        > is dipped, if not it probably is simply sealed.
        >
        > In service to the dream
        > Carolus von Eulenhorst
        > eulenhorst@...
        >
        > On Tue, 3 Jun 2003 10:53:17 -0700 (PDT) Kimberly
        > <breenasmom@...>
        > writes:
        > > i really have no idea.... is there anyway you can
        > tell
        > > by looking at it?
        > > Kim

        > The best thing to hit the internet in years - Juno
        > SpeedBand!
        > Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
        > Only $14.95/ month - visit www.juno.com to sign up
        > today!

        > Brought to you YahooGroups Ad Free in 2002 by
        > Medieval Mart
        > Get Medieval at Mad Macsen's
        > http://www.medievalmart.com/

        > leave this list]
        >

        > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        http://calendar.yahoo.com
      • James W. Pratt, Jr.
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 3, 2003
          Put some extra glue along the fletchings. Are the fletching coming off at
          the glue line or are the spines still glued down? Is the glue staying with
          the feather or with the arrow?

          James Cunningham
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 4, 2003
            the feather itself is peeling off... the glue is
            staying with the fletching
            Kim

            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 4, 2003
              It sounds like the glue that was used isn't adhering to the sealant on
              the shaft. I would try Fletch-Tite in this case as it sticks better than
              Duco or the other cellulose based glues. Make sure you clean the shaft
              under the fletching with a piece of clean, thin cloth and alcohol before
              gluing.

              In service to the dream
              Carolus von Eulenhorst
              eulenhorst@...

              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 4, 2003
                Like the others have said...it is an incompatability between the glue and
                the finish of the arrow. Any oil finish is hard to glue to. Tung oil when
                dry is also very hard to get the feathers to stay put. A crown dip of paint
                prior to putting on the feathers can solve some of the problems. We have
                just tried the crown tape(used in place of crown dipping) and the glue seems
                to be holding so far. You may have to sand the areas where the feathers go
                to get a good bond you can also tie the feathers on...the period solution
                for poor glue.

                James Cunningham
              • Kimberly
                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 5, 2003
                  Hi,
                  I found this website and I'm wondering how correct it
                  is.
                  http://www.users.nac.net/rfd/eoa/index.html Thanks!
                  Kim

                  http://calendar.yahoo.com
                • jameswolfden
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 5, 2003
                    --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Kimberly <breenasmom@y...> wrote:
                    > Hi,
                    > I found this website and I'm wondering how correct it
                    > is.
                    > http://www.users.nac.net/rfd/eoa/index.html Thanks!
                    > Kim

                    Is there something specific on the site that you are wondering about?

                    It is a nice book that covers a time before compounds and where
                    fibreglass was just coming into its own. I have used the drawings in
                    the book as a reference for working on my bows. But I have also used
                    other sources as information.

                    The author does dismiss some woods like ash and hickory as being
                    inferior woods to only use when nothing else is available. While most
                    bowyers would still consider osage and yew as the two best bow woods,
                    most feel that you can make a very good bow out of many of the white
                    hardwoods like ash and hickory. He shows his error with the
                    criticism "They produce bows that shoot fairly well in the beginning,
                    but they soon lose cast and become flabby and weak. When they dry out
                    thoroughly they become brittle and break." White wood is seasoned
                    differently then osage and yew but I don't think that he has seasoned
                    the white wood at all.

                    It is a little skimpy on the details of tillering or working down to
                    a back ring. A bow is seldom made by following a specific formula.
                    The magic and fun is all in that tillering stage. The Traditional
                    Bowyer's Bible volume 1 covers this fairly well.

                    The care and handling section is good and still applies.

                    A quick glance at the arrow section looks okay but your range
                    marshall may be a bit concerned if you are reducing the weight of
                    your heavier arrows by scraping wood from it. She/he might prefer you
                    increased the weight of your light arrows with extra coats of finish.

                    James Wolfden
                  • Kinjal of Moravia
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jun 5, 2003
                      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "jameswolfden"
                      <jameswolfden@y...> wrote:
                      > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Kimberly <breenasmom@y...>
                      wrote:
                      > > Hi,
                      > > I found this website and I'm wondering how correct it
                      > > is.
                      > > http://www.users.nac.net/rfd/eoa/index.html Thanks!
                      > > Kim
                      >

                      >> James Wolfden

                      My research has indicated that pear wood was widely used on early
                      recurves, with sinew inserts and horn grasp. My horsebow is made of
                      such, without the horn, but you can buy one. It is wrapped in
                      pigskin -- the siyahs are alder.

                      Kinjal