Re: [SCA-Archery] Fletching

  • Carolus Eulenhorst
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 3, 2003
      Were the arrows crown dipped or otherwise coated before the fletching was
      applied? if so it would be best to use Fletch-tite to reattach the
      fletches as other glues may not stick properly. Put a small bead on the
      quill, press the fletch down tightly, and put a bit of glue on the tip of
      the fletch to seal it after the glue dries.

      In service to the dream
      Carolus von Eulenhorst
      eulenhorst@...

      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 3, 2003
        i really have no idea.... is there anyway you can tell
        by looking at it?
        Kim

        --- Carolus Eulenhorst <eulenhorst@...> wrote:
        > Were the arrows crown dipped or otherwise coated
        > before the fletching was
        > applied? if so it would be best to use Fletch-tite
        > to reattach the
        > fletches as other glues may not stick properly. Put
        > a small bead on the
        > quill, press the fletch down tightly, and put a bit
        > of glue on the tip of
        > the fletch to seal it after the glue dries.
        >
        > In service to the dream
        > Carolus von Eulenhorst
        > eulenhorst@...
        >
        > On Tue, 3 Jun 2003 10:11:18 -0700 (PDT) Kimberly
        > <breenasmom@...>
        > writes:
        > > Hi,
        > > Two arrows (out of six) that I've bought have
        > the
        > > fletching starting to peel off. I was wondering
        > if
        > > anyone can tell me how to fix that and reinforce
        > the
        > > rest of my fletching on the rest of the arrows.
        > > Thanks,
        > > Kim

        > The best thing to hit the internet in years - Juno
        > SpeedBand!
        > Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
        > Only $14.95/ month - visit www.juno.com to sign up
        > today!

        > Brought to you YahooGroups Ad Free in 2002 by
        > Medieval Mart
        > Get Medieval at Mad Macsen's
        > http://www.medievalmart.com/

        > leave this list]
        >

        > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        http://calendar.yahoo.com
      • Carolus Eulenhorst
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 3, 2003
          Does it have a colored finish on the shaft under the fletching? If so it
          is dipped, if not it probably is simply sealed.

          In service to the dream
          Carolus von Eulenhorst
          eulenhorst@...

          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 3, 2003
            no coloring...
            Kim

            --- Carolus Eulenhorst <eulenhorst@...> wrote:
            > Does it have a colored finish on the shaft under the
            > fletching? If so it
            > is dipped, if not it probably is simply sealed.
            >
            > In service to the dream
            > Carolus von Eulenhorst
            > eulenhorst@...
            >
            > On Tue, 3 Jun 2003 10:53:17 -0700 (PDT) Kimberly
            > <breenasmom@...>
            > writes:
            > > i really have no idea.... is there anyway you can
            > tell
            > > by looking at it?
            > > Kim

            > The best thing to hit the internet in years - Juno
            > SpeedBand!
            > Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
            > Only $14.95/ month - visit www.juno.com to sign up
            > today!

            > Brought to you YahooGroups Ad Free in 2002 by
            > Medieval Mart
            > Get Medieval at Mad Macsen's
            > http://www.medievalmart.com/

            > leave this list]
            >

            > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
            > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            http://calendar.yahoo.com
          • James W. Pratt, Jr.
            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 3, 2003
              Put some extra glue along the fletchings. Are the fletching coming off at
              the glue line or are the spines still glued down? Is the glue staying with
              the feather or with the arrow?

              James Cunningham
              > Two arrows (out of six) that I've bought have the
              > fletching starting to peel off. I was wondering if
              > anyone can tell me how to fix that and reinforce the
              > rest of my fletching on the rest of the arrows.
              > Thanks,
              > Kim

              > http://calendar.yahoo.com

            • Kimberly
              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 4, 2003
                the feather itself is peeling off... the glue is
                staying with the fletching
                Kim

                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 4, 2003
                  It sounds like the glue that was used isn't adhering to the sealant on
                  the shaft. I would try Fletch-Tite in this case as it sticks better than
                  Duco or the other cellulose based glues. Make sure you clean the shaft
                  under the fletching with a piece of clean, thin cloth and alcohol before
                  gluing.

                  In service to the dream
                  Carolus von Eulenhorst
                  eulenhorst@...

                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 4, 2003
                    Like the others have said...it is an incompatability between the glue and
                    the finish of the arrow. Any oil finish is hard to glue to. Tung oil when
                    dry is also very hard to get the feathers to stay put. A crown dip of paint
                    prior to putting on the feathers can solve some of the problems. We have
                    just tried the crown tape(used in place of crown dipping) and the glue seems
                    to be holding so far. You may have to sand the areas where the feathers go
                    to get a good bond you can also tie the feathers on...the period solution
                    for poor glue.

                    James Cunningham
                  • Kimberly
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jun 5, 2003
                      Hi,
                      I found this website and I'm wondering how correct it
                      is.
                      http://www.users.nac.net/rfd/eoa/index.html Thanks!
                      Kim

                      http://calendar.yahoo.com
                    • jameswolfden
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jun 5, 2003
                        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Kimberly <breenasmom@y...> wrote:
                        > Hi,
                        > I found this website and I'm wondering how correct it
                        > is.
                        > http://www.users.nac.net/rfd/eoa/index.html Thanks!
                        > Kim

                        Is there something specific on the site that you are wondering about?

                        It is a nice book that covers a time before compounds and where
                        fibreglass was just coming into its own. I have used the drawings in
                        the book as a reference for working on my bows. But I have also used
                        other sources as information.

                        The author does dismiss some woods like ash and hickory as being
                        inferior woods to only use when nothing else is available. While most
                        bowyers would still consider osage and yew as the two best bow woods,
                        most feel that you can make a very good bow out of many of the white
                        hardwoods like ash and hickory. He shows his error with the
                        criticism "They produce bows that shoot fairly well in the beginning,
                        but they soon lose cast and become flabby and weak. When they dry out
                        thoroughly they become brittle and break." White wood is seasoned
                        differently then osage and yew but I don't think that he has seasoned
                        the white wood at all.

                        It is a little skimpy on the details of tillering or working down to
                        a back ring. A bow is seldom made by following a specific formula.
                        The magic and fun is all in that tillering stage. The Traditional
                        Bowyer's Bible volume 1 covers this fairly well.

                        The care and handling section is good and still applies.

                        A quick glance at the arrow section looks okay but your range
                        marshall may be a bit concerned if you are reducing the weight of
                        your heavier arrows by scraping wood from it. She/he might prefer you
                        increased the weight of your light arrows with extra coats of finish.

                        James Wolfden
                      • Kinjal of Moravia
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jun 5, 2003
                          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "jameswolfden"
                          <jameswolfden@y...> wrote:
                          > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Kimberly <breenasmom@y...>
                          wrote:
                          > > Hi,
                          > > I found this website and I'm wondering how correct it
                          > > is.
                          > > http://www.users.nac.net/rfd/eoa/index.html Thanks!
                          > > Kim
                          >

                          >> James Wolfden

                          My research has indicated that pear wood was widely used on early
                          recurves, with sinew inserts and horn grasp. My horsebow is made of
                          such, without the horn, but you can buy one. It is wrapped in
                          pigskin -- the siyahs are alder.

                          Kinjal