Fletching

  • Kimberly
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 3, 2003
      Hi,
      Two arrows (out of six) that I've bought have the
      fletching starting to peel off. I was wondering if
      anyone can tell me how to fix that and reinforce the
      rest of my fletching on the rest of the arrows.
      Thanks,
      Kim

      http://calendar.yahoo.com
    • Shaun Hagan
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 3, 2003
        Hi,
        Usually the best fix is to just glue them back down. I find that Duco
        Cement or super glue works pretty well. I would put a medium-sized
        dot of glue over the very tip of the fletching to prevent it from
        peeling up in the future.
        Hope this helps
        Sean O'Hagan
        On Tuesday, June 3, 2003, at 01:11 PM, Kimberly wrote:

        > Hi,
        > Two arrows (out of six) that I've bought have the
        > fletching starting to peel off. I was wondering if
        > anyone can tell me how to fix that and reinforce the
        > rest of my fletching on the rest of the arrows.
        > Thanks,
        > Kim

        > http://calendar.yahoo.com

        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Carolus Eulenhorst
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 3, 2003
          Were the arrows crown dipped or otherwise coated before the fletching was
          applied? if so it would be best to use Fletch-tite to reattach the
          fletches as other glues may not stick properly. Put a small bead on the
          quill, press the fletch down tightly, and put a bit of glue on the tip of
          the fletch to seal it after the glue dries.

          In service to the dream
          Carolus von Eulenhorst
          eulenhorst@...

          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 3, 2003
            thanks!
            Kim

            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 3, 2003
              i really have no idea.... is there anyway you can tell
              by looking at it?
              Kim

              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 3, 2003
                Does it have a colored finish on the shaft under the fletching? If so it
                is dipped, if not it probably is simply sealed.

                In service to the dream
                Carolus von Eulenhorst
                eulenhorst@...

                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 3, 2003
                  no coloring...
                  Kim

                  --- Carolus Eulenhorst <eulenhorst@...> wrote:
                  > Does it have a colored finish on the shaft under the
                  > fletching? If so it
                  > is dipped, if not it probably is simply sealed.
                  >
                  > In service to the dream
                  > Carolus von Eulenhorst
                  > eulenhorst@...
                  >
                  > On Tue, 3 Jun 2003 10:53:17 -0700 (PDT) Kimberly
                  > <breenasmom@...>
                  > writes:
                  > > i really have no idea.... is there anyway you can
                  > tell
                  > > by looking at it?
                  > > Kim

                  > The best thing to hit the internet in years - Juno
                  > SpeedBand!
                  > Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
                  > Only $14.95/ month - visit www.juno.com to sign up
                  > today!

                  > Brought to you YahooGroups Ad Free in 2002 by
                  > Medieval Mart
                  > Get Medieval at Mad Macsen's
                  > http://www.medievalmart.com/

                  > leave this list]
                  >

                  > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                  > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  http://calendar.yahoo.com
                • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 3, 2003
                    Put some extra glue along the fletchings. Are the fletching coming off at
                    the glue line or are the spines still glued down? Is the glue staying with
                    the feather or with the arrow?

                    James Cunningham
                    > Two arrows (out of six) that I've bought have the
                    > fletching starting to peel off. I was wondering if
                    > anyone can tell me how to fix that and reinforce the
                    > rest of my fletching on the rest of the arrows.
                    > Thanks,
                    > Kim

                    > http://calendar.yahoo.com

                  • Kimberly
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jun 4, 2003
                      the feather itself is peeling off... the glue is
                      staying with the fletching
                      Kim

                      Message 10 of 18 , Jun 4, 2003
                        It sounds like the glue that was used isn't adhering to the sealant on
                        the shaft. I would try Fletch-Tite in this case as it sticks better than
                        Duco or the other cellulose based glues. Make sure you clean the shaft
                        under the fletching with a piece of clean, thin cloth and alcohol before
                        gluing.

                        In service to the dream
                        Carolus von Eulenhorst
                        eulenhorst@...

                        Message 11 of 18 , Jun 4, 2003
                          Like the others have said...it is an incompatability between the glue and
                          the finish of the arrow. Any oil finish is hard to glue to. Tung oil when
                          dry is also very hard to get the feathers to stay put. A crown dip of paint
                          prior to putting on the feathers can solve some of the problems. We have
                          just tried the crown tape(used in place of crown dipping) and the glue seems
                          to be holding so far. You may have to sand the areas where the feathers go
                          to get a good bond you can also tie the feathers on...the period solution
                          for poor glue.

                          James Cunningham
                        • Kimberly
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jun 5, 2003
                            Hi,
                            I found this website and I'm wondering how correct it
                            is.
                            http://www.users.nac.net/rfd/eoa/index.html Thanks!
                            Kim

                            http://calendar.yahoo.com
                          • jameswolfden
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jun 5, 2003
                              --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Kimberly <breenasmom@y...> wrote:
                              > Hi,
                              > I found this website and I'm wondering how correct it
                              > is.
                              > http://www.users.nac.net/rfd/eoa/index.html Thanks!
                              > Kim

                              Is there something specific on the site that you are wondering about?

                              It is a nice book that covers a time before compounds and where
                              fibreglass was just coming into its own. I have used the drawings in
                              the book as a reference for working on my bows. But I have also used
                              other sources as information.

                              The author does dismiss some woods like ash and hickory as being
                              inferior woods to only use when nothing else is available. While most
                              bowyers would still consider osage and yew as the two best bow woods,
                              most feel that you can make a very good bow out of many of the white
                              hardwoods like ash and hickory. He shows his error with the
                              criticism "They produce bows that shoot fairly well in the beginning,
                              but they soon lose cast and become flabby and weak. When they dry out
                              thoroughly they become brittle and break." White wood is seasoned
                              differently then osage and yew but I don't think that he has seasoned
                              the white wood at all.

                              It is a little skimpy on the details of tillering or working down to
                              a back ring. A bow is seldom made by following a specific formula.
                              The magic and fun is all in that tillering stage. The Traditional
                              Bowyer's Bible volume 1 covers this fairly well.

                              The care and handling section is good and still applies.

                              A quick glance at the arrow section looks okay but your range
                              marshall may be a bit concerned if you are reducing the weight of
                              your heavier arrows by scraping wood from it. She/he might prefer you
                              increased the weight of your light arrows with extra coats of finish.

                              James Wolfden
                            • Kinjal of Moravia
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jun 5, 2003
                                --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "jameswolfden"
                                <jameswolfden@y...> wrote:
                                > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Kimberly <breenasmom@y...>
                                wrote:
                                > > Hi,
                                > > I found this website and I'm wondering how correct it
                                > > is.
                                > > http://www.users.nac.net/rfd/eoa/index.html Thanks!
                                > > Kim
                                >

                                >> James Wolfden

                                My research has indicated that pear wood was widely used on early
                                recurves, with sinew inserts and horn grasp. My horsebow is made of
                                such, without the horn, but you can buy one. It is wrapped in
                                pigskin -- the siyahs are alder.

                                Kinjal