Re: periodness of two sights

  • James W. Pratt Jr.
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 5, 1999
      >From: AMENSEYA@...
      >
      > In my area, we are not allowed to use crossbows in any indoor venue
      that
      >I have checked. This makes shooting crossbows next to impossible in the
      >winter shoot.

      Try using the fact that the crossbows we use are no more powerfull that a
      hunting compound bow. Also you can voluteer to bring your own back stop to
      stop the crossbow bolts befor they get buried... another problem with
      crossbows.

      James Cunningham
    • AMENSEYA@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 5, 1999
        James,

        Thank you for the suggestions.

        Lady Ayesha
      • Guy Taylor
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 5, 1999
          > Try using the fact that the crossbows we use are no more powerfull that a
          > hunting compound bow. Also you can voluteer to bring your own back stop
          > stop the crossbow bolts befor they get buried... another problem with
          > crossbows.
          >
          > James Cunningham

          It is quite possiible that the crossbow restriction at some indoor ranges is
          due to the dislike that many modern archers have for crossbows. It can
          ocassionally border on rabid hate. Reason might not help in those
          instances.
          My local county run outdoor range bans them for political reasons.

          Taillear
        • Michael vanBergen
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 5, 1999
            Publish your sources so those involved in the discussion can be on equal
            ground.

            Michael

            On Sun, 5 Dec 1999 11:02:39 -0800 Chris Nogy <cnogy@...>
            writes:
            >From: Chris Nogy <cnogy@...>
            >
            >This is almost 100 percent a theoretical question, as I prefer showing
            >off the
            >skill I have developed with a sight-free crossbow, but if I had just
            >recently
            >come across documentation for a 16th century crossbow with a front and
            >rear
            >sight (both adjustable, in a limited fashion), and they were stamped
            >with the
            >same maker's mark as the buttplate of the bow (meaning they were not
            >out-of-period additions), would this documentation be enough to cause
            >re-think in the sights rules for SCA crossbow archery?
            >
            >Or is the sighting rule (as it should be, in my opinion) there to keep
            >one
            >class of weapons from completely dominating all shooting, and are
            >other
            >examples of front- and rear-sighted crossbows already well known and
            >just
            >disregarded in our situation?
            >
            >Just wanted to know, and to start up some conversation...
            >
            >Kaz
            >
            >--------------------------- ONElist Sponsor
            >----------------------------

            >Tired of filling out forms and remembering passwords? Gator fills in
            >forms and passwords with just one click! Comes with $50 in free
            >coupons!

          • Gerald L. Collins
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 5, 1999
              I am not sure about AMENSEYA@...'s situation, but I know that some
              of the indoor ranges in the St. Louis, MO area won't allow crossbows
              because of insurance problems. Also, there has been discussion in the
              past that crossbows are a firearm because of their mechanical release (I
              think this is supposed to be a state regulation.) At outdoor ranges
              I've never worried about the possible problems that might pose and have
              never had any problems with law enforcement officials.

              Idris ap Llawr

              "James W. Pratt Jr." wrote:

              > From: "James W. Pratt Jr." <cunning@...>
              >
              > >From: AMENSEYA@...
              > >
              > > In my area, we are not allowed to use crossbows in any indoor venue
              > that
              > >I have checked. This makes shooting crossbows next to impossible in the
              > >winter shoot.
              >
              > Try using the fact that the crossbows we use are no more powerfull that a
              > hunting compound bow. Also you can voluteer to bring your own back stop to
              > stop the crossbow bolts befor they get buried... another problem with
              > crossbows.
              >
              > James Cunningham

            • Guy Taylor
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 5, 1999
                > From: "Gerald L. Collins" <idris@...>
                >
                > I am not sure about AMENSEYA@...'s situation, but I know that some
                > of the indoor ranges in the St. Louis, MO area won't allow crossbows
                > because of insurance problems. Also, there has been discussion in the
                > past that crossbows are a firearm because of their mechanical release (I
                > think this is supposed to be a state regulation.) At outdoor ranges
                > I've never worried about the possible problems that might pose and have
                > never had any problems with law enforcement officials.
                >
                > Idris ap Llawr

                Firearms?! I am in the firearms trade and I can assure you that if compound
                shooters using mechanical releases had to start going through the political
                crap that firearm owners and shooters have to go through, there would be
                some Very upset archers.
                Saying that crossbows are firearms sounds like typical political stupidity.

                Sorry for the rant, gun rights are a sore spot to me.

                Taillear
              • James W. Pratt Jr.
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 6, 1999
                  Everyone please be careful...do not confuse problems, discussion, fact,
                  attitude, and law. Try to use specifics as much as possible. I thought it
                  was a law... may do as much harm as Society for Consenting Adults.

                  James Cunningham

                  P.S. A flame war over RRs is fine. Bad and/or false information on this is
                  harmfull.