Re: [SCA-Archery] Appropriate participation question

  • Mark Hendershott
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 1, 2003
      At 07:28 AM 6/1/2003 -0700, you wrote:
      > >Hi Simon,
      >
      >I'm right outside Eugene, Oregon. Have contacted "Their Highnesses of
      >Summits, Durin and Ceridwen" (Chris and Melissa Howerton ) via email as
      >they are close to me, in Springfield. Am awaiting a reply
      >
      >Thank you, too, everyone for the help....I have subscribed to the
      >horseman/archery list and found that An Tir does have an archery list as
      >well so I should get "on track" soon.
      >
      >thank you again,
      >Lynn
      >
      > >At 07:24 AM 5/31/2003 +0000, you wrote:
      > > >I am a budding archer (recurve, not long bow, no sights) and
      > > >equestrian but am female. Will it be a problem to participate in
      > > >these two SCA events as a woman?
      > > >thank you,
      > > >Lynn
      > >
      > >Where in An Tir?
      > >
      > >Simon Sinneghe
      > >Briaroak, Summits, An Tir

      Go to www.adiantum.peak.org and look for Viscount Saer Bane or Yeoman
      William Cristofor. Both are very active in archery and live in your town
      (Well, Eugene)

      Simon Sinneghe
    • James Brummet
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 2, 2003
        What part of An Tir?

        >>> chance@... 05/31/03 01:24AM >>>
        I am a budding archer (recurve, not long bow, no sights) and
        equestrian but am female. Will it be a problem to participate in
        these two SCA events as a woman? And would it be mandatory to dress in
        female garb? Also are there any horseman archery events? My regional
        SCA is An Tir, I believe (northwest) and I have contacted them as well
        but no reply as yet.

        thank you,
        Lynn

      • Chad Wilson
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 2, 2003
          A new year has begung for the crossbow competition known as the Vogelshutzen,
          also known as the Popinjay shoot.

          http://web.raex.com/~obsidian/Vrules.html

          If you are a crossbowman, check out the rules and shoot a score.

          -Caedmon
          Go Midrealm!

          http://calendar.yahoo.com
        • James Brummet
          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 2, 2003
            I would contact your local Baroness; Baroness Charlotte Nicholls - bakanoff-ellis@... or the local Sensschal: Don Luciano Foscari - lucianofoscari@...

            The website for your Barony of Adiantum is - http://www.adiantum.peak.org/

            Here is the archery info from the site:
            Archery
            1st, 2nd and 4th, Thursday of month, and Sunday.
            At Cascadian Bowman range in Noti. Bane will be carpooling from his house, leaving at 6:15 pm and returning around 9:00 pm. Please contact him if you have any questions or need directions. Royal Round & York scores recorded when possible. Children must be accompanied by an adult. Limited loaner equipment available, call to reserve.
            Saer Bane (mka Matt Sugarbaker)
            2210 Jefferson Street
            Eugene, Oregon 97405
            (541) 687-1736
            saerbane@...
            Hope this helps!

            >>> chance@... 06/01/03 08:28AM >>>
            >Hi Simon,

            I'm right outside Eugene, Oregon. Have contacted "Their Highnesses of
            Summits, Durin and Ceridwen" (Chris and Melissa Howerton ) via email as
            they are close to me, in Springfield. Am awaiting a reply

            Thank you, too, everyone for the help....I have subscribed to the
            horseman/archery list and found that An Tir does have an archery list as
            well so I should get "on track" soon.

            thank you again,
            Lynn

            >At 07:24 AM 5/31/2003 +0000, you wrote:
            > >I am a budding archer (recurve, not long bow, no sights) and
            > >equestrian but am female. Will it be a problem to participate in
            > >these two SCA events as a woman?
            > >thank you,
            > >Lynn
            >
            >Where in An Tir?
            >
            >Simon Sinneghe
            >Briaroak, Summits, An Tir

          • Siegfried Sebastian Faust
            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 2, 2003
              So this is the 2003-2004 season then?

              So are the scores on the website for the 2002-2003 season correct? And
              that if so, that both winners in each category won by default? Being the
              only ones to submit a full three scores? (Or am I reading the page wrong)

              Siegfried
              (Who now wishes he would have submitted one more score)

              At 06:08 AM 6/2/2003 -0700, Chad Wilson wrote:
              >A new year has begung for the crossbow competition known as the Vogelshutzen,
              >also known as the Popinjay shoot.
              >
              >http://web.raex.com/~obsidian/Vrules.html
              >
              >If you are a crossbowman, check out the rules and shoot a score.
              >
              >-Caedmon
              >Go Midrealm!

              THL Siegfried Sebastian Faust Baronial Web Minister & Archery Marshal
            • Chad Wilson
              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 2, 2003
                --- Siegfried Sebastian Faust <crossbow@...> wrote:
                > So this is the 2003-2004 season then?
                >
                > So are the scores on the website for the 2002-2003 season correct? And
                > that if so, that both winners in each category won by default? Being the
                > only ones to submit a full three scores? (Or am I reading the page wrong)
                >
                > Siegfried
                > (Who now wishes he would have submitted one more score)

                The 2002-2003 season ended on May 31st according to the rules page. Those
                scores currently posted are for last season.

                As for submitting scores, just shoot one each time you shoot an IKAC. You only
                need to shoot one extra untimed round at 40 to accomplish it. And since they
                relaxed the rules about where it could be shot, it is easier to slip on in at
                practices or at home when you have nothing else to do (and have the space to
                shoot 40 yards, of course).

                -Caedmon

                http://calendar.yahoo.com
              • Rob A
                Message 7 of 20 , Jun 2, 2003
                  interesting competition....
                  over here in the West (Caer Darth / Darkwood) we are currently building the
                  English Popinjay shoot (which was actually more popular in Scotland)... 40
                  ft pole with 3 rings suspended from the top. Top ring has the "cock" sitting
                  on it, and scores 5 points. the second ring down has 3 "hens", each scoring
                  6 points and the third ring down has 6 "chicks" which score 1 point each.
                  Each archer has 6 arrows to shoot (we recommend fiberglass 1/4 inch combat
                  tipped arrows) and must shoot upwards from a distance no greater than 6 foot
                  from the pole.

                  Message 8 of 20 , Jun 2, 2003
                    DOH... the hens score 3 not 6

                    Message 9 of 20 , Jun 2, 2003
                      >Thank you, James....I was also contact today by Bane, Archery Marshall in
                      >Adiantum so I think I'm on the proper path.

                      Lynn

                      >I would contact your local Baroness; Baroness Charlotte Nicholls -
                      >bakanoff-ellis@... or the local Sensschal: Don Luciano
                      >Foscari - lucianofoscari@...
                      >
                      >The website for your Barony of Adiantum is - http://www.adiantum.peak.org/
                      >
                      >Here is the archery info from the site:
                      >Archery
                      >1st, 2nd and 4th, Thursday of month, and Sunday.
                      >At Cascadian Bowman range in Noti. Bane will be carpooling from his house,
                      >leaving at 6:15 pm and returning around 9:00 pm. Please contact him if you
                      >have any questions or need directions. Royal Round & York scores recorded
                      >when possible. Children must be accompanied by an adult. Limited loaner
                      >equipment available, call to reserve.
                      >Saer Bane (mka Matt Sugarbaker)
                      >2210 Jefferson Street
                      >Eugene, Oregon 97405
                      >(541) 687-1736
                      >saerbane@...
                      >Hope this helps!
                    • Charles de Beaumont
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jun 7, 2003
                        I am glad to hear that Saer Bane contacted you, as he is the Royal Archer
                        for the Principality of the Summits (which contains Adiantum).

                        HL Loegaire MacLochlainn (called 'Loric') is the An Tir Royal Archer and can
                        answer questions regarding the status of Eq Archery within An Tir. He can be

                        Charles de Beaumont
                        Arcarius to Loegaire MacLochlainn, OGGS

                        PS My lady wife has no problems shooting with dress, mantle, and veil of
                        12th Century Scottish style. Some ladies shoot in Mid-Eastern (including
                        veils). But, any attempt at pre-17th century garb is acceptable.