Re: [SCA-Archery] Appropriate participation question

  • Mark Hendershott
    Message 1 of 20 , May 31 10:28 PM
      At 07:24 AM 5/31/2003 +0000, you wrote:
      >I am a budding archer (recurve, not long bow, no sights) and
      >equestrian but am female. Will it be a problem to participate in
      >these two SCA events as a woman? And would it be mandatory to dress in
      >female garb? Also are there any horseman archery events? My regional
      >SCA is An Tir, I believe (northwest) and I have contacted them as well
      >but no reply as yet.
      >
      >thank you,
      >Lynn

      Where in An Tir?

      Simon Sinneghe
      Briaroak, Summits, An Tir
    • chance@xemaps.com
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 1, 2003
        >Hi Simon,

        I'm right outside Eugene, Oregon. Have contacted "Their Highnesses of
        Summits, Durin and Ceridwen" (Chris and Melissa Howerton ) via email as
        they are close to me, in Springfield. Am awaiting a reply

        Thank you, too, everyone for the help....I have subscribed to the
        horseman/archery list and found that An Tir does have an archery list as
        well so I should get "on track" soon.

        thank you again,
        Lynn

        >At 07:24 AM 5/31/2003 +0000, you wrote:
        > >I am a budding archer (recurve, not long bow, no sights) and
        > >equestrian but am female. Will it be a problem to participate in
        > >these two SCA events as a woman?
        > >thank you,
        > >Lynn
        >
        >Where in An Tir?
        >
        >Simon Sinneghe
        >Briaroak, Summits, An Tir
      • Dan Scheid
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 1, 2003
          sigh that brings back memories I was born in Eugene and grew up (until 10)
          in Springfield
          Damales Master horseman, minor archer,

          > >Hi Simon,
          >
          > I'm right outside Eugene, Oregon. Have contacted "Their Highnesses of
          > Summits, Durin and Ceridwen" (Chris and Melissa Howerton ) via email as
          > they are close to me, in Springfield. Am awaiting a reply
          >
          > Thank you, too, everyone for the help....I have subscribed to the
          > horseman/archery list and found that An Tir does have an archery list as
          > well so I should get "on track" soon.
          >
          > thank you again,
          > Lynn
          >
          > >At 07:24 AM 5/31/2003 +0000, you wrote:
          > > >I am a budding archer (recurve, not long bow, no sights) and
          > > >equestrian but am female. Will it be a problem to participate in
          > > >these two SCA events as a woman?
          > > >thank you,
          > > >Lynn
          > >
          > >Where in An Tir?
          > >
          > >Simon Sinneghe
          > >Briaroak, Summits, An Tir

        • Mark Hendershott
          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 1, 2003
            At 07:28 AM 6/1/2003 -0700, you wrote:
            > >Hi Simon,
            >
            >I'm right outside Eugene, Oregon. Have contacted "Their Highnesses of
            >Summits, Durin and Ceridwen" (Chris and Melissa Howerton ) via email as
            >they are close to me, in Springfield. Am awaiting a reply
            >
            >Thank you, too, everyone for the help....I have subscribed to the
            >horseman/archery list and found that An Tir does have an archery list as
            >well so I should get "on track" soon.
            >
            >thank you again,
            >Lynn
            >
            > >At 07:24 AM 5/31/2003 +0000, you wrote:
            > > >I am a budding archer (recurve, not long bow, no sights) and
            > > >equestrian but am female. Will it be a problem to participate in
            > > >these two SCA events as a woman?
            > > >thank you,
            > > >Lynn
            > >
            > >Where in An Tir?
            > >
            > >Simon Sinneghe
            > >Briaroak, Summits, An Tir

            Go to www.adiantum.peak.org and look for Viscount Saer Bane or Yeoman
            William Cristofor. Both are very active in archery and live in your town
            (Well, Eugene)

            Simon Sinneghe
          • James Brummet

              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 2, 2003
                A new year has begung for the crossbow competition known as the Vogelshutzen,
                also known as the Popinjay shoot.

                http://web.raex.com/~obsidian/Vrules.html

                If you are a crossbowman, check out the rules and shoot a score.

                -Caedmon
                Go Midrealm!

                http://calendar.yahoo.com
              • James Brummet
                Message 7 of 20 , Jun 2, 2003
                  I would contact your local Baroness; Baroness Charlotte Nicholls - bakanoff-ellis@... or the local Sensschal: Don Luciano Foscari - lucianofoscari@...

                  The website for your Barony of Adiantum is - http://www.adiantum.peak.org/

                  Here is the archery info from the site:
                  Archery
                  1st, 2nd and 4th, Thursday of month, and Sunday.
                  At Cascadian Bowman range in Noti. Bane will be carpooling from his house, leaving at 6:15 pm and returning around 9:00 pm. Please contact him if you have any questions or need directions. Royal Round & York scores recorded when possible. Children must be accompanied by an adult. Limited loaner equipment available, call to reserve.
                  Saer Bane (mka Matt Sugarbaker)
                  2210 Jefferson Street
                  Eugene, Oregon 97405
                  (541) 687-1736
                  saerbane@...
                  Hope this helps!

                  >>> chance@... 06/01/03 08:28AM >>>
                  >Hi Simon,

                  I'm right outside Eugene, Oregon. Have contacted "Their Highnesses of
                  Summits, Durin and Ceridwen" (Chris and Melissa Howerton ) via email as
                  they are close to me, in Springfield. Am awaiting a reply

                  Thank you, too, everyone for the help....I have subscribed to the
                  horseman/archery list and found that An Tir does have an archery list as
                  well so I should get "on track" soon.

                  thank you again,
                  Lynn

                  >At 07:24 AM 5/31/2003 +0000, you wrote:
                  > >I am a budding archer (recurve, not long bow, no sights) and
                  > >equestrian but am female. Will it be a problem to participate in
                  > >these two SCA events as a woman?
                  > >thank you,
                  > >Lynn
                  >
                  >Where in An Tir?
                  >
                  >Simon Sinneghe
                  >Briaroak, Summits, An Tir

                • Siegfried Sebastian Faust
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jun 2, 2003
                    So this is the 2003-2004 season then?

                    So are the scores on the website for the 2002-2003 season correct? And
                    that if so, that both winners in each category won by default? Being the
                    only ones to submit a full three scores? (Or am I reading the page wrong)

                    Siegfried
                    (Who now wishes he would have submitted one more score)

                    At 06:08 AM 6/2/2003 -0700, Chad Wilson wrote:
                    >A new year has begung for the crossbow competition known as the Vogelshutzen,
                    >also known as the Popinjay shoot.
                    >
                    >http://web.raex.com/~obsidian/Vrules.html
                    >
                    >If you are a crossbowman, check out the rules and shoot a score.
                    >
                    >-Caedmon
                    >Go Midrealm!

                    THL Siegfried Sebastian Faust Baronial Web Minister & Archery Marshal
                  • Chad Wilson
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jun 2, 2003
                      --- Siegfried Sebastian Faust <crossbow@...> wrote:
                      > So this is the 2003-2004 season then?
                      >
                      > So are the scores on the website for the 2002-2003 season correct? And
                      > that if so, that both winners in each category won by default? Being the
                      > only ones to submit a full three scores? (Or am I reading the page wrong)
                      >
                      > Siegfried
                      > (Who now wishes he would have submitted one more score)

                      The 2002-2003 season ended on May 31st according to the rules page. Those
                      scores currently posted are for last season.

                      As for submitting scores, just shoot one each time you shoot an IKAC. You only
                      need to shoot one extra untimed round at 40 to accomplish it. And since they
                      relaxed the rules about where it could be shot, it is easier to slip on in at
                      practices or at home when you have nothing else to do (and have the space to
                      shoot 40 yards, of course).

                      -Caedmon

                      http://calendar.yahoo.com
                    • Rob A
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jun 2, 2003
                        interesting competition....
                        over here in the West (Caer Darth / Darkwood) we are currently building the
                        English Popinjay shoot (which was actually more popular in Scotland)... 40
                        ft pole with 3 rings suspended from the top. Top ring has the "cock" sitting
                        on it, and scores 5 points. the second ring down has 3 "hens", each scoring
                        6 points and the third ring down has 6 "chicks" which score 1 point each.
                        Each archer has 6 arrows to shoot (we recommend fiberglass 1/4 inch combat
                        tipped arrows) and must shoot upwards from a distance no greater than 6 foot
                        from the pole.

                        Message 11 of 20 , Jun 2, 2003
                          DOH... the hens score 3 not 6

                          Message 12 of 20 , Jun 2, 2003
                            >Thank you, James....I was also contact today by Bane, Archery Marshall in
                            >Adiantum so I think I'm on the proper path.

                            Lynn

                            >I would contact your local Baroness; Baroness Charlotte Nicholls -
                            >bakanoff-ellis@... or the local Sensschal: Don Luciano
                            >Foscari - lucianofoscari@...
                            >
                            >The website for your Barony of Adiantum is - http://www.adiantum.peak.org/
                            >
                            >Here is the archery info from the site:
                            >Archery
                            >1st, 2nd and 4th, Thursday of month, and Sunday.
                            >At Cascadian Bowman range in Noti. Bane will be carpooling from his house,
                            >leaving at 6:15 pm and returning around 9:00 pm. Please contact him if you
                            >have any questions or need directions. Royal Round & York scores recorded
                            >when possible. Children must be accompanied by an adult. Limited loaner
                            >equipment available, call to reserve.
                            >Saer Bane (mka Matt Sugarbaker)
                            >2210 Jefferson Street
                            >Eugene, Oregon 97405
                            >(541) 687-1736
                            >saerbane@...
                            >Hope this helps!
                          • Charles de Beaumont
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jun 7, 2003
                              I am glad to hear that Saer Bane contacted you, as he is the Royal Archer
                              for the Principality of the Summits (which contains Adiantum).

                              HL Loegaire MacLochlainn (called 'Loric') is the An Tir Royal Archer and can
                              answer questions regarding the status of Eq Archery within An Tir. He can be

                              Charles de Beaumont
                              Arcarius to Loegaire MacLochlainn, OGGS

                              PS My lady wife has no problems shooting with dress, mantle, and veil of
                              12th Century Scottish style. Some ladies shoot in Mid-Eastern (including
                              veils). But, any attempt at pre-17th century garb is acceptable.