Appropriate participation question

  • morechancesnow
    Message 1 of 20 , May 31, 2003
      I am a budding archer (recurve, not long bow, no sights) and
      equestrian but am female. Will it be a problem to participate in
      these two SCA events as a woman? And would it be mandatory to dress in
      female garb? Also are there any horseman archery events? My regional
      SCA is An Tir, I believe (northwest) and I have contacted them as well
      but no reply as yet.

      thank you,
      Lynn
    • Ronald Klick
      Message 2 of 20 , May 31, 2003
        Greetings,

        I cannot answer your questions about equestrian/equestrian-archery,
        (though I would really like to see some actual archery from horseback!!)
        but as for archery in general you should have no problem participating. My 11-year-old daughter holds an East Kingdom Royal Round average
        and I know a lady from the Barony of Carolingia (Greater Boston area)
        that has been ranked as a Master Bowman. The only difference is that
        men usually draw heavier bows. The lady I mentioned shoots a 28lb
        draw recurve, she just has to aim a little higher than the guys that shoot
        the 70lb plus longbows. (I myself shoot a 42lb recurve, my daughter a
        20-25lb recurve and my wife a 35lb recurve or a 35lb longbow) Hope
        this answers part of your question and I will be watching the list to hear
        more about Horse Archers, wouldn't it make a great Olympic Sport?

        YIS
        Osmond de Berwic
        (East Kingdom Ranking-Bowman)

        Message 3 of 20 , May 31, 2003
          >Thank you, Osmond De Berwic. This helps a great deal. I also have not
          >seen archery on horseback but have heard of it and have a wonderful, kind,
          >mount (also a very ferel, ancient breed....which would be even more
          >appropriate in SCA events, I would think).

          Lynn

          >Greetings,
          >
          > I cannot answer your questions about equestrian/equestrian-archery,
          >(though I would really like to see some actual archery from horseback!!)
          >but as for archery in general you should have no problem participating. My
          >11-year-old daughter holds an East Kingdom Royal Round average
          >and I know a lady from the Barony of Carolingia (Greater Boston area)
          >that has been ranked as a Master Bowman. The only difference is that
          >men usually draw heavier bows. The lady I mentioned shoots a 28lb
          >draw recurve, she just has to aim a little higher than the guys that shoot
          >the 70lb plus longbows. (I myself shoot a 42lb recurve, my daughter a
          >20-25lb recurve and my wife a 35lb recurve or a 35lb longbow) Hope
          >this answers part of your question and I will be watching the list to hear
          >more about Horse Archers, wouldn't it make a great Olympic Sport?
          >
          >YIS
          >Osmond de Berwic
          >(East Kingdom Ranking-Bowman)
          >
          >morechancesnow <chance@...> wrote:
          >I am a budding archer (recurve, not long bow, no sights) and
          >equestrian but am female. Will it be a problem to participate in
          >these two SCA events as a woman?
          >
          >thank you,
          >Lynn
        • John Edgerton
          Message 4 of 20 , May 31, 2003
            morechancesnow wrote:

            >I am a budding archer (recurve, not long bow, no sights) and
            >equestrian but am female. Will it be a problem to participate in
            >these two SCA events as a woman?

            I can not answer for the equestrian part of your question. But, as to
            the archery, there is no problem participating as a woman in archery
            events. There is no SCA rule regarding this one way or the other. And I
            do not believe that Antir has any requirements regarding it either.

            >And would it be mandatory to dress in
            >female garb?

            No it would not.

            > Also are there any horseman archery events?

            I have heard of some equestrian events having mounted archery. But, I
            can not answer for Antir. There is a Horse Archery group on Yahoo that
            you might consider joining as well.

            Jon

            > My regional
            >SCA is An Tir, I believe (northwest) and I have contacted them as well
            >but no reply as yet.
            >
            >thank you,
            >Lynn

          • Elizabeth Lear
            Message 5 of 20 , May 31, 2003
              On Sat, May 31, 2003 at 07:24:22AM -0000, morechancesnow wrote:
              > I am a budding archer (recurve, not long bow, no sights) and
              > equestrian but am female. Will it be a problem to participate in
              > these two SCA events as a woman? And would it be mandatory to dress in
              > female garb?

              There are no gender restrictions in either equestrian or archery, and
              you may wear whatever you like as long as it's an attempt at pre-17th
              century garb.

              I no longer shoot in skirts, as I lost a championship tourney because
              I wasn't wearing pants. I was tied for first place, so we had a
              shoot-out. I caught my petticoat with my toe when cocking my
              crossbow, and my foot slipped because of the fabric. Thus I missed
              getting off a shot, and was beaten. However, I see many women wearing
              dresses and skirts when shooting handbow. It's a personal choice - I
              know as many women who shoot in pants or tights as I do who shoot in
              skirts.

              Likewise equestrian - you wear what works for you, as long as it's an
              attempt at pre-17th century garb. I see women riding in skirts and
              women riding in pants.

              > Also are there any horseman archery events?

              This is a new sport to the SCA, and there isn't a lot of it going on.
              For more info, I suggest you subscribe to the mailing list:
              HorseArchery@yahoogroups.com

              YIS,
              Yelizaveta Medvedeva
              Master Bowman, and Captain of
              The Carolingian (East) Company of Bowmen

              --
              Please allow 2-6 weeks for delivery.
            • Nest verch Tangwistel
              Message 6 of 20 , May 31, 2003
                There is certainly no problem with doing archery for a woman. The group I
                belong to has over 50% women. There should be no problem with cross
                dressing either, for either a man or a woman. I have seen both.

                You could start looking here for info on the horse archery:

                http://www.sca.org/officers/marshal/combat/equestrian/index.html

                Hope this starts you out.

                Nest
                --- morechancesnow <chance@...> wrote:
                > I am a budding archer (recurve, not long bow, no sights) and
                > equestrian but am female. Will it be a problem to participate in
                > these two SCA events as a woman? And would it be mandatory to dress in
                > female garb? Also are there any horseman archery events? My regional
                > SCA is An Tir, I believe (northwest) and I have contacted them as well
                > but no reply as yet.
                >
                > thank you,
                > Lynn

                http://search.yahoo.com
              • Kinjal of Moravia
                Message 7 of 20 , May 31, 2003
                  --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Nest verch Tangwistel
                  <eastarch@y...> wrote:

                  I know of no such SCA shoots, but I undersand there was a
                  competition in Hungary many years ago. The winner, at full gallop,
                  hit 6 melons at 200 yards. A Mongolian recurve, of course --
                  probablty about 80# fired over the shoulder. Good luck

                  Kinjal

                  > http://search.yahoo.com
                • Mark Hendershott
                  Message 8 of 20 , May 31, 2003
                    At 07:24 AM 5/31/2003 +0000, you wrote:
                    >I am a budding archer (recurve, not long bow, no sights) and
                    >equestrian but am female. Will it be a problem to participate in
                    >these two SCA events as a woman? And would it be mandatory to dress in
                    >female garb? Also are there any horseman archery events? My regional
                    >SCA is An Tir, I believe (northwest) and I have contacted them as well
                    >but no reply as yet.
                    >
                    >thank you,
                    >Lynn

                    Where in An Tir?

                    Simon Sinneghe
                    Briaroak, Summits, An Tir
                  • chance@xemaps.com
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jun 1, 2003
                      >Hi Simon,

                      I'm right outside Eugene, Oregon. Have contacted "Their Highnesses of
                      Summits, Durin and Ceridwen" (Chris and Melissa Howerton ) via email as
                      they are close to me, in Springfield. Am awaiting a reply

                      Thank you, too, everyone for the help....I have subscribed to the
                      horseman/archery list and found that An Tir does have an archery list as
                      well so I should get "on track" soon.

                      thank you again,
                      Lynn

                      >At 07:24 AM 5/31/2003 +0000, you wrote:
                      > >I am a budding archer (recurve, not long bow, no sights) and
                      > >equestrian but am female. Will it be a problem to participate in
                      > >these two SCA events as a woman?
                      > >thank you,
                      > >Lynn
                      >
                      >Where in An Tir?
                      >
                      >Simon Sinneghe
                      >Briaroak, Summits, An Tir
                    • Dan Scheid
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jun 1, 2003
                        sigh that brings back memories I was born in Eugene and grew up (until 10)
                        in Springfield
                        Damales Master horseman, minor archer,

                        > >Hi Simon,
                        >
                        > I'm right outside Eugene, Oregon. Have contacted "Their Highnesses of
                        > Summits, Durin and Ceridwen" (Chris and Melissa Howerton ) via email as
                        > they are close to me, in Springfield. Am awaiting a reply
                        >
                        > Thank you, too, everyone for the help....I have subscribed to the
                        > horseman/archery list and found that An Tir does have an archery list as
                        > well so I should get "on track" soon.
                        >
                        > thank you again,
                        > Lynn
                        >
                        > >At 07:24 AM 5/31/2003 +0000, you wrote:
                        > > >I am a budding archer (recurve, not long bow, no sights) and
                        > > >equestrian but am female. Will it be a problem to participate in
                        > > >these two SCA events as a woman?
                        > > >thank you,
                        > > >Lynn
                        > >
                        > >Where in An Tir?
                        > >
                        > >Simon Sinneghe
                        > >Briaroak, Summits, An Tir

                      • Mark Hendershott
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jun 1, 2003
                          At 07:28 AM 6/1/2003 -0700, you wrote:
                          > >Hi Simon,
                          >
                          >I'm right outside Eugene, Oregon. Have contacted "Their Highnesses of
                          >Summits, Durin and Ceridwen" (Chris and Melissa Howerton ) via email as
                          >they are close to me, in Springfield. Am awaiting a reply
                          >
                          >Thank you, too, everyone for the help....I have subscribed to the
                          >horseman/archery list and found that An Tir does have an archery list as
                          >well so I should get "on track" soon.
                          >
                          >thank you again,
                          >Lynn
                          >
                          > >At 07:24 AM 5/31/2003 +0000, you wrote:
                          > > >I am a budding archer (recurve, not long bow, no sights) and
                          > > >equestrian but am female. Will it be a problem to participate in
                          > > >these two SCA events as a woman?
                          > > >thank you,
                          > > >Lynn
                          > >
                          > >Where in An Tir?
                          > >
                          > >Simon Sinneghe
                          > >Briaroak, Summits, An Tir

                          Go to www.adiantum.peak.org and look for Viscount Saer Bane or Yeoman
                          William Cristofor. Both are very active in archery and live in your town
                          (Well, Eugene)

                          Simon Sinneghe
                        • James Brummet

                            Message 13 of 20 , Jun 2, 2003
                              A new year has begung for the crossbow competition known as the Vogelshutzen,
                              also known as the Popinjay shoot.

                              http://web.raex.com/~obsidian/Vrules.html

                              If you are a crossbowman, check out the rules and shoot a score.

                              -Caedmon
                              Go Midrealm!

                              http://calendar.yahoo.com
                            • James Brummet
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jun 2, 2003
                                I would contact your local Baroness; Baroness Charlotte Nicholls - bakanoff-ellis@... or the local Sensschal: Don Luciano Foscari - lucianofoscari@...

                                The website for your Barony of Adiantum is - http://www.adiantum.peak.org/

                                Here is the archery info from the site:
                                Archery
                                1st, 2nd and 4th, Thursday of month, and Sunday.
                                At Cascadian Bowman range in Noti. Bane will be carpooling from his house, leaving at 6:15 pm and returning around 9:00 pm. Please contact him if you have any questions or need directions. Royal Round & York scores recorded when possible. Children must be accompanied by an adult. Limited loaner equipment available, call to reserve.
                                Saer Bane (mka Matt Sugarbaker)
                                2210 Jefferson Street
                                Eugene, Oregon 97405
                                (541) 687-1736
                                saerbane@...
                                Hope this helps!

                                >>> chance@... 06/01/03 08:28AM >>>
                                >Hi Simon,

                                I'm right outside Eugene, Oregon. Have contacted "Their Highnesses of
                                Summits, Durin and Ceridwen" (Chris and Melissa Howerton ) via email as
                                they are close to me, in Springfield. Am awaiting a reply

                                Thank you, too, everyone for the help....I have subscribed to the
                                horseman/archery list and found that An Tir does have an archery list as
                                well so I should get "on track" soon.

                                thank you again,
                                Lynn

                                >At 07:24 AM 5/31/2003 +0000, you wrote:
                                > >I am a budding archer (recurve, not long bow, no sights) and
                                > >equestrian but am female. Will it be a problem to participate in
                                > >these two SCA events as a woman?
                                > >thank you,
                                > >Lynn
                                >
                                >Where in An Tir?
                                >
                                >Simon Sinneghe
                                >Briaroak, Summits, An Tir

                              • Siegfried Sebastian Faust
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jun 2, 2003
                                  So this is the 2003-2004 season then?

                                  So are the scores on the website for the 2002-2003 season correct? And
                                  that if so, that both winners in each category won by default? Being the
                                  only ones to submit a full three scores? (Or am I reading the page wrong)

                                  Siegfried
                                  (Who now wishes he would have submitted one more score)

                                  At 06:08 AM 6/2/2003 -0700, Chad Wilson wrote:
                                  >A new year has begung for the crossbow competition known as the Vogelshutzen,
                                  >also known as the Popinjay shoot.
                                  >
                                  >http://web.raex.com/~obsidian/Vrules.html
                                  >
                                  >If you are a crossbowman, check out the rules and shoot a score.
                                  >
                                  >-Caedmon
                                  >Go Midrealm!

                                  THL Siegfried Sebastian Faust Baronial Web Minister & Archery Marshal
                                • Chad Wilson
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jun 2, 2003
                                    --- Siegfried Sebastian Faust <crossbow@...> wrote:
                                    > So this is the 2003-2004 season then?
                                    >
                                    > So are the scores on the website for the 2002-2003 season correct? And
                                    > that if so, that both winners in each category won by default? Being the
                                    > only ones to submit a full three scores? (Or am I reading the page wrong)
                                    >
                                    > Siegfried
                                    > (Who now wishes he would have submitted one more score)

                                    The 2002-2003 season ended on May 31st according to the rules page. Those
                                    scores currently posted are for last season.

                                    As for submitting scores, just shoot one each time you shoot an IKAC. You only
                                    need to shoot one extra untimed round at 40 to accomplish it. And since they
                                    relaxed the rules about where it could be shot, it is easier to slip on in at
                                    practices or at home when you have nothing else to do (and have the space to
                                    shoot 40 yards, of course).

                                    -Caedmon

                                    http://calendar.yahoo.com
                                  • Rob A
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jun 2, 2003
                                      interesting competition....
                                      over here in the West (Caer Darth / Darkwood) we are currently building the
                                      English Popinjay shoot (which was actually more popular in Scotland)... 40
                                      ft pole with 3 rings suspended from the top. Top ring has the "cock" sitting
                                      on it, and scores 5 points. the second ring down has 3 "hens", each scoring
                                      6 points and the third ring down has 6 "chicks" which score 1 point each.
                                      Each archer has 6 arrows to shoot (we recommend fiberglass 1/4 inch combat
                                      tipped arrows) and must shoot upwards from a distance no greater than 6 foot
                                      from the pole.

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jun 2, 2003
                                        DOH... the hens score 3 not 6

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Jun 2, 2003
                                          >Thank you, James....I was also contact today by Bane, Archery Marshall in
                                          >Adiantum so I think I'm on the proper path.

                                          Lynn

                                          >I would contact your local Baroness; Baroness Charlotte Nicholls -
                                          >bakanoff-ellis@... or the local Sensschal: Don Luciano
                                          >Foscari - lucianofoscari@...
                                          >
                                          >The website for your Barony of Adiantum is - http://www.adiantum.peak.org/
                                          >
                                          >Here is the archery info from the site:
                                          >Archery
                                          >1st, 2nd and 4th, Thursday of month, and Sunday.
                                          >At Cascadian Bowman range in Noti. Bane will be carpooling from his house,
                                          >leaving at 6:15 pm and returning around 9:00 pm. Please contact him if you
                                          >have any questions or need directions. Royal Round & York scores recorded
                                          >when possible. Children must be accompanied by an adult. Limited loaner
                                          >equipment available, call to reserve.
                                          >Saer Bane (mka Matt Sugarbaker)
                                          >2210 Jefferson Street
                                          >Eugene, Oregon 97405
                                          >(541) 687-1736
                                          >saerbane@...
                                          >Hope this helps!
                                        • Charles de Beaumont
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Jun 7, 2003
                                            I am glad to hear that Saer Bane contacted you, as he is the Royal Archer
                                            for the Principality of the Summits (which contains Adiantum).

                                            HL Loegaire MacLochlainn (called 'Loric') is the An Tir Royal Archer and can
                                            answer questions regarding the status of Eq Archery within An Tir. He can be

                                            Charles de Beaumont
                                            Arcarius to Loegaire MacLochlainn, OGGS

                                            PS My lady wife has no problems shooting with dress, mantle, and veil of
                                            12th Century Scottish style. Some ladies shoot in Mid-Eastern (including
                                            veils). But, any attempt at pre-17th century garb is acceptable.