Re: [SCA-Archery] Archery/persona question

  • Marko Peussa
    Message 1 of 7 , May 28, 2003
      At least hunting with bow was occasionally done by women in Siberia
      (northern part of Russia), right in the 19th century. There are photos
      (staged, there were no snapshot photo cameras back then) of women hunting,
      on skies. These were the kind of folk that went around with reindeers,
      hunting and fishing. We have a bunch of those (birch/pine recurve) bows,
      natural strings (5 mm thick or more) and fletched arrows (hunting arrows,
      with blunt, whistling, forked, spiked or broadheads of steel and bone),
      bracers, arrow sheafs and shooting gloves here in Finland, because in the
      19th century many finnish expeditions went to Siberia and collected all
      kinds of ethnical stuff. Then they brought them back to Finland for the
      Finnish National Museum collection. They were all in display last summer in
      Helsinki. I paid for the display to just to see the archery gear. It was
      incredible.

      So, I'd guess the use of bow is fine for a reindeer lady folks. These were
      roaming around the northern parts of Norway, Sweden, Finland and Russia in
      the middle ages, before the middle ages and after the middle ages.

      Regards,

      Klaus