FW: RE: [SCA-Archery] Archery Calculation

  • Sam Cohen
    Message 1 of 4 , May 27, 2003
      (Aedan, sorry for the direct reply I meant to send this to the
      list). Keep up the good thinking and have FUN!!!!!

      This is a fine idea, however there are other factors that need
      to be taken into account before determing Spine weight of your
      arrows. Each bow is different and has a different "sweet spot"
      for spine. Bows that shoot off of a shelf need different spine
      than the same weight bow with a arrow shelf. The only way to
      get the "true" best weight is to test fire several different
      weights and see what works the best for your bow.

      >Just my opinion YMMV
      >Forester Demetrious the Undecided (Middle Kingdom)

      I have
      >>read I have came up with this Spreadsheet to help me figure
      out my
      >>Spine Shafts poudage for my arrows. I am posting it to get
      you to
      >>try it and if you have any suggestions or criticisms feel free
      >>help me cultivate it for beginners like me. It took me a small
      time
      >>to try and figure out what to buy for an an arrow and maybe
      this
      >>will help my fellow Archers that are new like me. I have posted
      it
      >>in the Files. Please open it and try it out.
      >>
      >>Aedan MacIsaac
      >>

      >>---8<---------------------------------------------
      >>Get Medieval at Mad Macsen's http://www.medievalmart.com/

      this list]

    • Aedan Joseph MacIsaac
      Message 2 of 4 , May 27, 2003
        What is meant by Bow that shoot off of a shelf compared to one that
        does have a shelf?

        Aedan

        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Sam Cohen" <saintelmo.1@c...>
        wrote:

        > (Aedan, sorry for the direct reply I meant to send this to the
        > list). Keep up the good thinking and have FUN!!!!!
        >

        > This is a fine idea, however there are other factors that need
        > to be taken into account before determing Spine weight of your
        > arrows. Each bow is different and has a different "sweet spot"
        > for spine. Bows that shoot off of a shelf need different spine
        > than the same weight bow with a arrow shelf. The only way to
        > get the "true" best weight is to test fire several different
        > weights and see what works the best for your bow.
        > >

        > >Just my opinion YMMV
        > >Forester Demetrious the Undecided (Middle Kingdom)

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Sam Cohen
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 1, 2003
          Some longbows do not have a shelf for the arrow so the arrow rests on
          the hand (usually with a glove) of the archer. Other bows have an arrow
          rest built into the bow so the arrow rests on a shelf.

          Demetrious

          wrote:

          > (Aedan, sorry for the direct reply I meant to send this to the
          > list). Keep up the good thinking and have FUN!!!!!
          >

          > This is a fine idea, however there are other factors that need
          > to be taken into account before determing Spine weight of your
          > arrows. Each bow is different and has a different "sweet spot"
          > for spine. Bows that shoot off of a shelf need different spine
          > than the same weight bow with a arrow shelf. The only way to
          > get the "true" best weight is to test fire several different
          > weights and see what works the best for your bow.
          > >

          > >Just my opinion YMMV
          > >Forester Demetrious the Undecided (Middle Kingdom)

        • Sean Lewis

            wrote:

            > (Aedan, sorry for the direct reply I meant to send this to the
            > list). Keep up the good thinking and have FUN!!!!!
            >

            > This is a fine idea, however there are other factors that need
            > to be taken into account before determing Spine weight of your
            > arrows. Each bow is different and has a different "sweet spot"
            > for spine. Bows that shoot off of a shelf need different spine
            > than the same weight bow with a arrow shelf. The only way to
            > get the "true" best weight is to test fire several different
            > weights and see what works the best for your bow.
            > >

            > >Just my opinion YMMV
            > >Forester Demetrious the Undecided (Middle Kingdom)

            Ham Call Sign,kc5zya
            MST3 Sean Lewis
            SCA name , Aedan Joseph MacIsaak
            or you can just call me Sean